Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Homestyle Lentil Soup
A pressure cooker makes this a fast meal, but it’s still an easy dish to prepare even in a regular pot. Just allow an hour or more for the lentils to soften.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 2 cups brown or green lentils uncooked
- 8 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 pounds large gold or red potatoes cut into large cubes
- 8 ounces mushrooms halved or quartered
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots thickly sliced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes or 2 tsp. Better Than Bouillon optional (use only if water is used instead of broth)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce coconut aminos, or tamari
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Pick over the lentils and rinse well. Put them into the pressure cooker along with the water or broth.
Start the water or broth heating in the pressure cooker while you chop the vegetables. Add all ingredients to the cooker and stir. Seal the cooker and bring to high pressure. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes for electric pressure cooker or 8 minutes stovetop. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 minutes before using a quick-release method to release the pressure. (If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can simply simmer this covered on the stove until the lentils are tender, about an hour; add water as necessary.)
Check to make sure the lentils and potatoes are tender; if not, cook, covered but not at pressure, until done, adding water if it seems too thick. Remove the bay leaves, and check the seasonings, adding more poultry seasoning and salt, if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if you like.
Nutritional Information includes two teaspoons Better Than Bouillon, which contributes 170mg sodium per serving.
Each serving is 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle smart points.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 266kcal | Carbohydrates: 49.8g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 286mg | Fiber: 18.1g | Sugar: 4g