Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Killer Jalapeño Hummus
This creamy hummus has a killer kick, thanks to fresh jalapeño, and a wicked green color thanks to baby kale. Make it as hot as you dare by using a whole pepper, seeds and all. For the more timid, seed the pepper and use only half, adding more to taste. BEWARE: This hummus looks a lot like guacamole, so if you bring it to a party, be sure to label it as super spicy; you wouldn’t want to actually kill anyone!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 2 cups freshly cooked chickpeas drained (see Notes below)
- 1 cup baby kale or spinach packed (about 1.5 ounces)
- 1/3 cup bean cooking liquid, water, or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini or toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2-1 jalapeno chiles stemmed, seeded if desired
- 1/2-1 teaspoon mild chili powder (combination of chiles, cumin, and other seasonings)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Optional Garnish: black sesame seeds or chopped jalapeño
Place all ingredients into blender or food processor and process until smooth. If the hummus is too thick, add liquid by the tablespoon and continue blending. Taste and add more jalapeños, chili powder, and salt if needed. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Garnish with chopped jalapeño or black sesame seeds.
I’ve come to appreciate just how much more creamy and delicious hummus is when it’s made with freshly cooked dried chickpeas. I use my Instant Pot to pressure cook rinsed garbanzos for 35 minutes at high pressure and allow the pressure to come down naturally for 10 minutes. Then I make the hummus while the beans are still warm, adding a little extra liquid because hummus prepared from hot beans will thicken as it cools. You can, of course, use canned chickpeas. Just adjust the salt to taste because canned chickpeas are usually salted.
With sesame seeds: 81 calories, 14 calories from fat, 1.7g total fat
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 85kcal | Carbohydrates: 13.3g | Protein: 4.3g | Fat: 2.1g | Sodium: 155mg | Fiber: 3.6g | Sugar: 2.1g