Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Dublin Coddle with Vegan Irish Sausage
This potato and sausage stew is the very definition of comfort food!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 4 Irish Fauxsages see recipe below, or about 12 ounces of other vegan sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes about 4 medium, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or prepared bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 3/4 cup dark beer optional
Brown the “sausages” in a non-stick skillet. In a large Dutch oven with a heavy lid, layer the ingredients in this order: Half of the potatoes, Salt and pepper, Half of the onions, Half of the parsley, All of the Fauxsages, Remaining Potatoes, Salt and pepper, Remaining Onions, Remaining Parsley
Mix the Liquid Smoke into the broth and pour it over all. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to the lowest setting and cover tightly. Cook for about an hour, or until potatoes are very tender. Add the beer if you’re using it, and simmer for about 15 minutes more. Ladle into bowls and serve with Irish Soda Bread.
This could easily be cooked in a slow cooker; for best results, double the recipe for large crockpots and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Nutritional info below includes beer. Calorie count will be lower if it is omitted.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 311kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 591mg | Fiber: 5g