Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Vegan Mushroom Gravy
My mushroom gravy is always an ad lib affair; I don’t think I ever make it the same way twice. Here’s the basic recipe, but the amounts of herbs should be adjusted as necessary–more for blander foods and less for highly seasoned dishes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1/2 large onion minced
- 10 regular-sized or 6 large mushrooms sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/– 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary optional, crushed
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sherry optional
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce coconut aminos, or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour substitute with arrowroot for gluten-free
- 1/4 cup plain non-dairy milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a medium-sized non-stick saucepan, saute the onion until beginning to brown, about 5-10 minutes (adding a pinch of baking soda speeds things up). Add the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of water, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for another minute.
Add the vegetable broth, herbs, nutritional yeast, sherry, and soy sauce. In a bowl, whisk or blend (with a hand blender) the “milk” and flour together until smooth. Add it to the saucepan and stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
You can make this gravy more palatable to mushroom-haters by blending it until smooth. For a smoother gravy with some pieces of mushroom, blend only half the gravy.
For a bacony-flavored gravy, add a few drops of Liquid Smoke with the salt and pepper. (Bacony gravy is excellent over biscuits!)
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 31kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 177mg | Fiber: 1g