Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Cumin-Infused Vegetables and Chickpeas over Quinoa
This recipe feeds a crowd! For a smaller family, click here for the 4-serving version of the recipe
or click on the serving number to scale it to as many servings as you need.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or more to taste
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 medium eggplant cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 15-ounce can chick-peas rinsed and drained
- 2 16-ounce can diced tomatoes fire-roasted preferred, with their juice
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 medium zucchini cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa rinsed well
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water, with vegetable bouillon or salt
- 1 teaspoon salt optional, if using water
- harissa or hot chile sauce or hot sauce for the table
Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle in the garlic, cumin, turmeric, paprika, cardamom, and cayenne and cook 2 minutes more, stirring often.
Stir in the cauliflower, eggplant, chick-peas, tomatoes, raisins, and 1/2 cup of water. Cover the pan and lower the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and continue to cook covered until it is just beginning to be tender, about 10 minutes. Add salt to taste.
While the vegetables are cooking, prepare the quinoa. Heat a large saucepan and add the rinsed and drained quinoa. Toast it, stirring constantly, until it is almost dry. Add the vegetable broth or water and bouillon and the garlic, bring to a boil, and stir in the salt if you’re using it. Turn heat to very low, cover, and cook for 15-20 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat until needed. Fluff with a fork before serving.
Serve with the vegetable mixture mounded in the center of the quinoa and a jar of harissa or hot chile sauce for individual seasoning.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 370kcal | Carbohydrates: 73.7g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 3.8g | Sodium: 731.7mg | Fiber: 11.9g | Sugar: 17.4g