Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Marinated Zucchini and Chickpea Salad
This is one of those salads that I like best unadorned, just the clean flavors of summer squash, onion, garlic, and lemon. But feel free to add fresh herbs or follow one of the variations listed at the end. And do make it a day ahead of time so that the lemon and vinegar have time to “cook” the zucchini.
Prep Time1 hr
Cook Time1 min
Total Time1 hr 1 min
- 1 pound small zucchini or yellow squash or a combination halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas or 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 large red bell pepper cut into 1-inch long slices
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic or white wine vinegar see notes
- Generous grating black pepper
- salt to taste
- fresh herbs to taste such as mint, basil, or oregano
While regular white wine or white balsamic vinegars can be used, for best flavor, use a vinegar with some sweetness to it, such as fig, raspberry, walnut or pecan.
Add a teaspoon of sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds for an Asian variation.
Add some spice by skipping the herbs and adding cayenne pepper or your favorite hot sauce.
Add some fresh sweet corn kernels for a complete one-dish meal.
Each serving is zero Weight Watchers points.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 143kcal | Carbohydrates: 25.8g | Protein: 7.4g | Fat: 1.9g | Sodium: 19.1mg | Fiber: 6.7g | Sugar: 7.1g