Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Kale and Quinoa Salad with Black Beans
Raw kale is an acquired taste, so if you’re not a fan, try steaming the kale for a few minutes instead of massaging it.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 cup quinoa I used a combo of red and white quinoa, rinsed very well
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds or ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder or other pure chile powder, not a blend
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt optional, or to taste
- 4-6 cups chopped kale leaves about 4-5 ounces
- 1 15-ounce can black beans about 1 1/2 cups, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 avocado optional, sliced or cubed
- additional lemon juice and seasonings to taste
Heat a saucepan. Add the rinsed and drained quinoa and the garlic and toast it until almost dry. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
While the quinoa is cooking, make the dressing in a small bowl or measuring cup: whisk together the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons broth, chia/flax seeds, chile powders, cumin, and salt. Allow to stand until the chia seeds start to thicken the dressing.
Place the kale in a large serving bowl. Add half of the dressing and massage it into the kale using a wringing motion until the kale is very tender. Two minutes of massaging should do it, but the longer, the better. Add the quinoa, black beans, carrot, and bell pepper, along with the remaining dressing. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Just before serving, check the seasoning and add more lemon juice, chile powder, cumin, and salt, as needed. Stir in chopped avocado, if desired, or serve with slices of avocado on the side.
Without avocado: 206 calories, 22 calories from fat, 2.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 509.8mg sodium, 535.9mg potassium, 37.3g carbohydrates, 8.1g fiber, 1.3g sugar, 10.3g protein.
Each serving is 3 points on Weight Watchers Freestyle without avocado. Add the points for avocado, if you use it.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 254kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.8g | Protein: 10.9g | Fat: 6.9g | Sodium: 512.1mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 1.4g