Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Creamy Vegan Broccoli and Rice Casserole
You can put the casserole together ahead of time and bake it just before serving. Start with it at room temperature, if possible, and bake it long enough to be sure it’s heated through. If it starts to get too brown on top, cover it with aluminum foil until it’s hot.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 1 1/4 cup plain unsweetened soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon sherry optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon tahini or cashew butter optional
- very generous grating black pepper
- 1 head broccoli about 5 cups, cut into small florets
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery chopped
- 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas or other options, see below
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups cooked brown rice warm, if possible
- 2 tablespoons sliced or slivered almonds optional
Preheat oven to 375. Lightly oil or spray a medium casserole dish (about 2-1/2-quart size).
Place the sauce ingredients into a blender and process until smooth. Set aside.
Place the broccoli in a steamer basket set over water and steam, covered, until just barely tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
While the broccoli is steaming, heat a large, deep non-stick skillet or saute pan. Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery and cook, stirring constantly, for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas, thyme, rice, and steamed broccoli. Make sure the sauce is well-blended, and add it to the skillet. Stir gently and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more salt and pepper if necessary, and smooth into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with almonds, if desired. Bake until the top begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Serve hot.
Instead of chickpeas, substitute any one of the following:
1 cup dry soy curls, rehydrated in hot vegetable broth and drained
2 cups baked tofu, cubed
1 1/2 cups tempeh bacon
1 1/2 cups sliced or diced seitan
Nutrition (per serving, no optional ingredients): 288 calories, 34 calories from fat, 4.2g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 305mg sodium, 383.2mg potassium, 50g carbohydrates, 5.2g fiber, 4.3g sugar, 17.9g protein.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 18.7g | Fat: 6.4g | Sodium: 307mg | Fiber: 5.7g | Sugar: 4.4g