Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Veggeroni (Seitan Pepperoni)
(With thanks to Joanne Stepaniak and all the other inventive cooks who’ve been wrapping their seitan in foil and baking it)
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
- 1 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (use more for spicier pepperoni)
- 3/4 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter (may substitute peanut butter or tahini)
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons ketchup or tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon agave nectar (optional, but definitely use if you use tomato sauce)
Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Put the cashew butter in a smaller bowl, and slowly mix in the water. Add the remaining wet ingredients to the small bowl and blend well.
Pour the wet mixture into the dry, stirring well (use your hands if necessary). Remove from the bowl and knead for a few minutes, making sure ingredients are distributed well.
Roll into a log shape, about 7 inches long. Place the log on foil and roll it up in the foil, twisting the ends to seal. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning over after 45 minutes.
Remove from oven and unwrap to cool. Slice as needed and store leftovers wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge.
This fit perfectly in my toaster oven, so I didn’t have to heat up the whole kitchen.
I slice it and used it as-is on pizza, pita pizza, wraps, and sandwiches, but you may want to slice it and pan-fry it to give it more of a real pepperoni feel.
Each serving is 2 points on Weight Watchers Freestyle.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 2.5g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Sodium: 309mg | Fiber: 0.3g | Sugar: 2g