Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Caribbean Pineapple Black Beans
You can convert this to “Caribbean Orange Black Beans” by using orange juice and orange slices instead of pineapple.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 1/2 bell pepper , chopped
- 1 small jalapeno or chile pepper , seeded and chopped (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons peeled , chopped ginger root
- 2 cans black beans (about 3 cups cooked), rinsed well and drained
- 3/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (more or less, to taste)
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- salt and black pepper , to taste
Saute the onion in a non-stick pan, adding a tablespoon of water if needed to keep it from sticking. (Add a pinch of baking soda to speed up browning, if desired.) Cook for 3-5 minutes, until beginning to turn golden. Add the peppers, garlic, and chopped ginger and cook another 2 minutes.
Add the drained black beans, pineapple juice, thyme, allspice, and cayenne (to taste). Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low, adding a splash of water if it starts to dry out.
Add the pineapple and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice or quinoa.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 12.6g | Sodium: 309.9mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 10.3g