Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Spicy Collards and Black-eyed Pea Soup
If you don't like or can't find collards, feel free to substitute your favorite greens. Quicker-cooking greens such as spinach should be added right at the end of cooking.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- 2 onions , diced
- 2 ribs celery , diced
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 3-4 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas , picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups water
- 1 pound collard greens , tough stems removed and greens chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme (divided)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (divided)
- 1 16- ounce can tomatoes (fire-roasted preferred)
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1 -2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon double strength tomato paste (or 2 tbsp. regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- additional water (or vegetable broth), as needed
Heat a pressure cooker or large pot and add the onions. (Electric pressure cooker users, use Sauté or Brown setting.) Sauté for about 5 minutes, until they begin to brown. Add the celery, green pepper, and garlic, and cook, stirring, for 3 more minutes.
Add the black-eyed peas, water, 1 teaspoon of the thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon of oregano.
Cooking: If using a pressure cooker, seal the cooker and cook for 10 minutes after it reaches high pressure; use a quick-release method to bring down the pressure.
If cooking in a regular pot, cook until peas are tender, about 45-55 minutes.
Once the peas are tender, add the reserved herbs and all remaining ingredients and simmer on low for at least 25 minutes to allow flavors to develop. If the soup is too thick, add up to two cups water or vegetable broth until it's the consistency of soup. (Electric pressure cooker users, use the Sauté or Brown setting and adjust the heat to low if possible, or use Keep Warm.) Serve with brown rice with additional hot sauce. (Garnishing with fresh oregano is optional.)
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 242kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 488mg | Fiber: 11g