Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Low-Fat Lo Mein
The trick to stir-frying without oil is to use high heat, a good non-stick wok (or well-seasoned cast iron), and just enough water to prevent sticking and burning without boiling the vegetables. The water you add should be boiling off almost as soon as it hits the pan; the vegetables should never be standing in it.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 6 ounces Napa Cabbage , cored and shredded
- 1 carrot , cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 teaspoon sambal oelek (or other chili paste, to taste)
- 3 oz extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil optional
- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta such as fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 red bell pepper , thinly sliced
- 6 Cremini mushrooms , sliced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil (or to taste)
Combine the cabbage, carrots, and chili paste.
Cut the tofu into 1/4-inch thick slices. Lay them out on a double-layer of paper towels. Top with another double layer of towels and gently press down on each slice with your hands to remove as much moisture as possible. Remove from paper towels and cut into tiny, 1/4-inch cubes. Place into a medium-sized bowl. In another bowl, combine the soy sauce, water, rice vinegar, and sesame oil. Pour over the tofu, stirring gently (I used my hands) to distribute the sauce without breaking up the tofu.
Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain.
Heat a non-stick wok. Give it a quick spray with olive oil if you like. Add the tofu and cook, turning periodically, until lightly browned on all sides. Remove from skillet.
Add the ginger, garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms to the hot skillet along with a tablespoon or two of water. Cook, stirring constantly and adding water as needed to prevent sticking, until mushrooms soften, about 1-2 minutes. Add the cabbage mixture, and continue to stir-fry for another 1-2 minutes, until just softened. Add the pasta, gently fold in the tofu, and season to taste with soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve with additional chili sauce on the side.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 257kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3.5g | Sodium: 328mg | Fiber: 7.3g | Sugar: 3g