Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Homestyle Green Beans and Potatoes
I used a combination of small purple potatoes and tiny gold ones, but any small, new potatoes will do. Or, if you don’t have new potatoes, chop large potatoes into 3/4-inch cubes. But waxy new potatoes taste best in this and hold together better.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 large onion , chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic , minced or pressed
- 1 1/4 pound green beans , trimmed and cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 12 ounces small new potatoes , halved
- 4-6 cups vegetable broth or “no-chicken” broth
- freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked salt or liquid smoke
- salt to taste (if using sodium-free broth)
In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, cook the onion until it begins to brown, adding a splash of water when necessary to keep it from sticking. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the green beans and the potatoes and then add enough broth to barely cover the potatoes. Add black pepper to taste, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cover. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
Add the smoked salt or Liquid Smoke and cook for another minute. Serve with slotted spoon to reserve broth for another use or serve in a bowl with a piece of cornbread for sopping up all the flavorful broth.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 136kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Sodium: 610mg | Fiber: 6.7g | Sugar: 3.3g