Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Pesto Primavera Pasta and Other Fresh Basil Recipes
This versatile pasta dish can be served warm or cold and you can vary the vegetables to suit what's in your refrigerator.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 16 ounces whole wheat rotini or other spiral pasta (may use gluten-free pasta)
- 1 bunch broccoli , cut into small florets
- 1 medium zucchini , halved lengthwise and sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/8 cup sliced almonds
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2-3 cups fresh basil , packed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 12-ounce package lite silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas (or one 15-ounce can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 large tomato , diced
- additional salt & pepper , to taste
- slivered almonds , for garnish (optional)
Bring a very large pot of water to boil, add salt if desired and the pasta. Return to a boil and cook for 6 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook for 4 more minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for another minute or until pasta is al dente. Remove from heat and drain in a colander over the sink. Spray with cold water and transfer to a large serving bowl.
While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Grind the almonds, garlic, and nutritional yeast in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Add the basil, lemon juice, and silken tofu and process until smooth. Add salt to taste and process to combine.
Gently stir the sauce into the pasta and vegetables. Add the chickpeas, diced tomato and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or chilled, garnished with additional almonds.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 316kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 4g | Sodium: 387mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g