Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Dark, dense, and similar to a brownie, this cake contains no oil and is partially sweetened by blueberries.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (white whole wheat preferred)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup date syrup , maple syrup, or other liquid sweetener
- 1 cup blueberries (for serving)
- additional syrup or agave nectar to taste
Preheat oven to 350 F. In a medium bowl, mix flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, chia (or flax) and salt. In blender, combine water, 1/2 cup blueberries, and balsamic vinegar and blend until smooth.
Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the syrup and the blueberry mixture. Stir until completely mixed. Pour into an oiled 9-inch round cake pan.
Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before inverting onto serving platter.
Serve with blueberries on top, drizzled with additional syrup or agave. (I recommend agave for drizzling.)
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 144kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 3.6g | Fat: 1.2g | Sodium: 217mg | Fiber: 4.4g | Sugar: 15g