Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Stormy Black Bean Soup
Vary the amount of spices in this to suit your taste. I used the minimum amounts given, which put this right at the outer edge of my daughter’s spice tolerance.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time1 min
Total Time16 mins
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cans black beans (or 3 cups), rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 teaspoon chile powder
- generous grating of black pepper
- 1-2 teaspoon minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels optional
- lime wedges
In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and bell pepper until the onions soften, about 3 minutes.
Add the beans, seasonings, and tomatoes, and stir to combine. Add 3 cups vegetable broth or water. Reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour, adding additional water or vegetable broth as needed to keep a soupy consistency.
Just before serving, add the corn, if you like, and heat through. Serve in bowls with lime wedges. Makes 4-6 servings.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 222kcal | Carbohydrates: 42.5g | Protein: 12.5g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 631mg | Fiber: 12.8g | Sugar: 6.3g