Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Quinoa and Red Lentil Cutlets
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 8 servings
- 1/2 cup quinoa rinsed several times and drained
- 3/4 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1/2 medium onion minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning or 1/2 tsp. rubbed sage, 1/2 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup vital wheat gluten
Cook the quinoa and lentils in about 4 cups of water until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
After the quinoa/lentil mixture has cooled enough so that you can handle it easily, drain the excess water and pour the mixture into a large bowl. Add all the remaining ingredients except the gluten and stir well. Mix in the gluten and then use your hands to gently knead the dough for about 5 minutes, to develop the gluten.
Divide the dough in half; then divide each half in half. Then divide each piece in half again until you have 8 pieces. Flatten them so that they’re about 1/2-3/4-inch thick and shape them into rectangles. Put them on the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn each one over and bake for another 10-15 minutes, but be careful not to overcook or they will be dry. Serve hot with your choice of gravy (I suggest Impromptu Mushroom Gravy).
Serving: 8cutlets | Calories: 181kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 370mg | Fiber: 8g