Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Ridiculously Easy Southern Succotash Stew
Lima beans and corn are reminiscent of succotash, while the okra and turnips give it a little Southern flair. Be sure to add plenty of creole seasoning!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 10 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 12 ounces baby lima beans fresh or frozen
- 12 ounces frozen soup vegetables mixture of carrots, corn, peas, green beans, etc.
- 6 ounces sliced okra sliced, fresh or frozen
- 6 ounces green beans fresh or frozen, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large turnip peeled and diced (may substitute potato)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning or more to taste
- 5-9 cups hot water or vegetable broth (see instructions for starting amount)
On the Stove:
In a large soup pot, sauté onion until soft. Add remaining ingredients along with 7 cups of the water or broth. Cook until turnips and other vegetables are tender, about 1 hour, adding more liquid as needed. Check seasoning, adding more Creole seasoning and salt to taste.
In Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker:
Using the sauté setting on your Instant Pot or medium heat on your stove-top pressure cooker, sauté the onion until soft. Add all ingredients and 5 cups of water. Seal the cooker and set it for 2 minutes at high pressure (or bring to pressure and cook for 2 minutes.) When the time is up, allow the pressure to come down naturally for 15 minutes and then quick-release the pressure. Check the seasonings and the amount of liquid and add more as needed.
Serving Suggestion: Stir in a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to each bowl just before serving.
Weight Watchers, if you use a frozen vegetable blend without potatoes, this stew is zero freestyle points. I like to use a gumbo blend that is zero points.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 173kcal | Carbohydrates: 35.8g | Protein: 9.1g | Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 482.9mg | Potassium: 804.6mg | Fiber: 10.7g | Sugar: 5.6g