Add to Collection
Go to Collections
Spicy bean filling wrapped in cornbread. Yum!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- red and black pepper to taste
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar or other liquid sweetener
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour whole wheat pastry flour, or gluten-free flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
Mash half of the beans well. In a non-stick skillet, sauté the onion until it’s translucent; add the garlic and bell pepper and cook for another two minutes.
Add all remaining ingredients, including the beans. Stir and cook until hot throughout and set aside.
Cornbread (recipe adapted from Food for Life, by Neal Barnard, M.D):
Mix the soymilk, cider vinegar, and agave nectar together and set aside.
Oil your pans and preheat the oven to 375 F.
PanMix all the dry ingredients together. Add the soymilk mixture, and mix only until blended.
Pour a thin layer of batter into each cup. Carefully spoon a strip of filling over the batter . (See photo.) Cover the filling with more batter. Try not to over-fill the molds.
Bake for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out without batter stuck to it. (It may have beans on it, though.) Allow to cool in the pan.
Serving: 1tamale bite | Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Sodium: 310mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g