This morning I had a houseful of girls: my daughter E. had her friends J. and K. over to spend the night since today is a school holiday. I decided that instead of filling several breakfast orders (one loves grits, one likes cereal, one says she always eats bacon…) I’d make muffins. I took a look at some of the muffin recipes I could find online and in Vegan with a Vengeance for inspiration and then decided to just wing it! The result was these amazing, tender, fat-free vegan banana-date muffins.
October 2011 update: E and I just made this recipe again, and it’s as good as ever. It struck me now as being extremely sweet, so I recommend doing away with the agave nectar, which I’ve now marked as optional, or reducing the sugar to 1/3 cup unless you like your muffins super sweet. Give them a few minutes to cool off before eating; they’ll be more tender that way and you won’t burn the roof of your mouth!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
- 3/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup natural sugar (I used the large crystal, unbleached kind)
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1-1/4 cups)
- 1/2 cup vanilla soymilk, almond milk, or other non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup natural apple sauce
- 2 tbsp. agave nectar (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (omit to reduce fat)
- Preheat the oven to 400 and spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Sift together the flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl, mash the banana with the sugar, soymilk, apple sauce, and agave nectar.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Add in the dates and walnuts, and pour into 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Serve to everyone who came running toward the aroma of fresh baked banana muffins!
These came out very light and sweet; J. actually asked if I had any “regular” muffins because “these are too sweet.” You can probably reduce the sugar with no ill effects. Enjoy!