Raspberry Chocolate Cake

by on April 16, 2006

Sorry I didn’t get E’s birthday cake recipe posted yesterday. It’s been a busy weekend, and I never found the time. Thanks for waiting! Now, to continue where I left off. . . .

Raspberry Chocolate Cake

First a warning: This is not a fat-free or even low-fat recipe. It’s possible to make the cake lower in fat, but the frosting won’t work without the margarine. Still, I’m sure it’s better for you than all those recipes filled with eggs, cream, and butter. Special occasions like your daughter’s 9th birthday deserve a little decadence.

And there is something very decadent about the combination of chocolate and raspberries. With raspberries in the chocolate batter and a filling of raspberries and creamy chocolate frosting, every bite of this cake brings you a little decadence. In keeping with the theme of decadence, E. had this cake for breakfast. We had a small, family-only party outside on the patio, where the spring flowers matched the flowers on her cake:

Birthday Cake

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. E. had a wonderful day!

1 Anonymous September 23, 2009 at 10:39 am

Hey, love the cake- looks delish!
its my mums b-day soon, she loves raspberries and dark chocolate- does this recipe make the chocolate dark or should i add more cocoa? I don't want to make anyone choke (i do that so often :()

2 SusanV September 23, 2009 at 1:58 pm

There's a certain type of cocoa that is very dark, much darker than Hershey's. I recommend using it rather than adding more cocoa because adding too much could throw off the proportions of the recipe. Look for extra-dark cocoa.

3 fifteenthlife November 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Hi, wondering what oil is best to use? I was thinking half canola and half coconut. What works and tastes best? Calories are no concern. Thanks!

4 SusanV November 29, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I've only used canola oil, so that's my recommendation.

5 Aditi Arora December 7, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the recipie. I love your website and use it often for my three year old son who is allergic and is vegan because of it. This was the first birthday cake he really enjoyed and cannot get enough of it. It mad me very happy. The recipie is fantastic!

Aditi

6 Anonymous February 16, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Hi. If i can't eat chocolate could i use carob chips and carob powder instead?

7 loraxKat January 30, 2011 at 9:37 pm

this is a fabulous recipe – thank you! i made it for my husband’s 28th bday and it was a crowd favorite. i spelled his name with raspberries on top :)

8 Laura in Taos February 18, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Hi! Great recipe – came out to perfection (with a couple of high altitude mods). Does this need to be refrigerated? Thanks!

9 SusanV February 18, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I think it should be fine at room temperature for a few days. Glad you enjoyed it.

10 Hadassa September 2, 2011 at 11:36 am

I first made this cake for a vegan friend’s birthday. It is so good that it is now my favorite chocolate cake recipe even when the vegan part is not required. Stays fresh for several days.

11 Emma April 15, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Aw happy belated birthday E! Yum yum!!

12 Robyn June 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

I have made this cake at least five times and every time I get great reviews. Instead of baking two cakes, I make one bundt cake and bake for 50 minutes.

Comes out perfect and does not need more than a dusting of powdered sugar :)

I just made it again this morning for playgroup and I made it last week for a dinner party, both the bundt version.

Thanks again for such a great recipe Susan!