Portabellas Stuffed with Pesto-Mashed Potatoes

by on June 23, 2006

I’ve been dying to stuff something into a portabella ever since I saw Catherine’s lucious-looking Portobellos Stuffed with Lentils, Stilton, & Walnuts last month. I’ve also been looking for a unique way to serve mashed potatoes, so last night I came up with this idea. (I had thought about stuffing them with hummus, but since having hummus pizza on vacation, I’m over the idea of hot hummus, probably forever.)

This is more a side-dish than an appetizer, though you can pick them up and eat them with your fingers. Don’t let the weird color fool you–they’re really tasty! In fact, I just went to the fridge to have the leftovers for lunch and was crushed to find that my husband had taken them to work. So, to be safe, make two batches!

Portabellas Stuffed with Pesto-Mashed Potatoes

1 Azahara September 11, 2009 at 6:29 am

Thanks Susan! This is delicious!
Kristin, I served the portabellas with some roasted asparagus.

2 axel g February 19, 2010 at 3:23 am

That's a beautiful recipe!

I love healthy food +_+

3 Emerson April 9, 2011 at 9:04 pm

I found this recipe to be most excellent.
I was able to obtain many pounds of Basil last season and still have a freezer full of oil/fat free vegan pesto. Today, with the weather being rainy & overcast, I was looking forward to this comfort food. It was delectable.
Being a patient Dr. McDougall and a devout follower of his teachings, I eliminated all oil from the recipe. Instead of oil I cooked the mushrooms on parchment paper. It worked well.

Thanks for the recipe.

4 PatB August 8, 2012 at 11:49 am

I am unable to use soy due to allergy. Oat milk works well in mashed potatoes.

5 Nancy August 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

This looks fantastic! Can’t wait to try it. I also love how you usually put the nutritional info for most of your recipes. Do you happen to have it for this one?

6 Susan Voisin August 8, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Nancy, I’ve just added the nutritional info. It’s for 3 servings of 2 mushrooms each.

7 Nancy August 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Thanks!!!

8 Jen Havard August 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm

What are your thoughts on using sweet potato instead of the white in this recipe?

9 Susan Voisin August 8, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Hmmm. I don’t really associate sweet potato with pesto, but if it sounds good to you, go for it!

10 lindsey September 24, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I want to make these for dinner tomorrow but am wondering what would pair nicely as a main for this side? Any suggestions? BBQ Tofu sounds good with it but we’re having that tonight. ;)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

11 Pam October 5, 2012 at 7:29 am

Can I make these ahead? I need to bring a dish to a pitch-in party with our boating club, at another marina. We will be cruising on our boat so I will only have a microwave to heat it back up. I can put it in a chaffing dish too.
Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!
Pam

12 Susan Voisin October 5, 2012 at 8:08 am

You can try, but I’m not sure the results will be very good. I could be wrong–I’ve never tried it–but that’s just my gut instinct.

13 September June 4, 2013 at 8:19 pm

Oh yes! This was really yummy, thank u SO much for the recipe! My two daughters loved it as well!

14 debalou3 July 4, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Got these in the oven right now, can’t wait to try it all together….I licked the bowl from the potatoes :)…didn’t have walnuts but had pecans so I used them and it tasted wonderful.