Vidalia Onions Stuffed with Rice-Lentil Pilaf

by on September 21, 2006

I bought some Vidalia onions a couple of weeks ago, figuring to stuff them once the time was right. Last night the weather finally cooled off enough that having the oven on for an hour and a half didn’t seem like such a hot ordeal.

Since Vidalias are sweet, I decided on a sweetish filling to complement them. It’s adapted from one of my favorite recipes from Laurel’s Kitchen, the first vegetarian cookbook I ever bought, back in 1982 (yes, I am old). There’s plenty of sweetness here–cinnamon, cloves, and raisins echo the sweetness of the Vidalias but also lend a slightly-spicy warmth. It’s true comfort food on an almost-Autumn night.

Vidalias Stuffed with Rice-Lentil Pilaf

Current day month ye@r *

1 SusanV November 26, 2006 at 12:18 pm

Here are a few of the original comments posted before the blog was moved:

kathryn said…

Hi there Susan, I made a version of this last night – with red onions, barley (instead of rice) and slightly different spices. Anyway it worked really well – your instructions are very clear and the final dish was GORGEOUS. Thanks for this lovely recipe.

6:15 PM, November 28, 2006
——————————–

Katie said…

I just made these and they were fabulous! I’ve never stuffed onions before, but it worked out great. I can’t wait to have leftovers for lunch tomorrow :)

7:22 PM, May 20, 2009
——————————–

Nathan said…

the stuffed onion idea is so lovely! I’m so going to have to try this. thanks so much! :D

4:22 AM, July 08, 2009

2 Chandra October 6, 2009 at 5:40 pm

I wish these would cook faster!!! I'm making them right now and they smell fantastic! Thanks for the recipe!

3 Darci September 21, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Do you think that I could make this recipe and then serve it the next night for dinner? I am hosting a meal for 14 (most of whom, except for my husband, son, and I are not vegetarian), and I think this would be a great main dish. My only concern is that I need to make as much as I can ahead and then heat everything up the night of the dinner. Thanks so much for any advice!

4 SusanV September 21, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I think it will reheat just fine. Even better, if you could make it to the point just before you put the dish into the oven, you could refrigerate it and bake it just before serving.

5 Tané Tachyon September 25, 2013 at 5:12 pm

the first vegetarian cookbook I ever bought, back in 1982 (yes, I am old)

My thought was more along the lines of “Newbie!” :-)

My younger son is a first-year student at Whitman College, and during the summer they sent a crate of six large Walla Walla sweet onions to each new student … though as the onions are long-gone right now I cannot use any for this at the moment.

6 Nan September 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

The recipes all sound fabulous! Can’t wait to put them together. We will be having family visit in about three weeks, and I am going to try a few of the recipes and not tell them they’re vegan. It’s funny how people turn their noses up when you say “vegan,” but gobble the food down when they’re left “in the dark.”

{ 1 trackback }