Cherry Soy Yogurt Smoothie

by on November 12, 2006

Cherry Soy Yogurt SmoothieGiven the chilly weather here, I should probably be writing about hot drinks, but instead, I’m thinking of breakfasts. A non-vegetarian friend of mine recently asked me what E. has for breakfast on school days. It seems my friend’s daughter has the same problem that E. does—she’s not hungry for breakfast at 6:00 in the morning, but if she doesn’t eat, she’s not at her best for the rest of the morning. I’m not sure that I was much help. The list of foods that E. will tolerate in the early morning is short: soy yogurt, fresh fruit (Asian pears are her current fave), leftover pasta, and on very rare occasions oatmeal.

One thing she does like is the Silk Live Soy Smoothie drinks, but even on sale, they’re pretty expensive—and full of sugar. So I’ve been making a version of them at home, using a little soy yogurt for that cultured taste (and the benefits of live cultures) blended with different types of frozen fruit. So far, we’ve mostly had these at night as dessert, but I’m going to start making them for breakfast more often.

This cherry-banana blend is particularly good. The banana gives it added creaminess so that I don’t have to use as much soy yogurt, but it doesn’t impart a lot of banana flavor.

Do you have kids with little appetite in the morning? How do you entice them to eat?

1 natalia August 10, 2010 at 5:51 am

Hello,
I bought cherries today and didn´t know what to prepare… When that happens to me, I always go to your site and I always find a very nice recipe that fits my way of eating!! Thanks! Natalia

2 Annika November 12, 2010 at 8:52 am

What a lovely idea!
I have been wondering what to replace orange juice in smoothies with and here is the answer :) I was wondering however, what’s the lemon juice’s function and is it a really vital ingredient? Seems like such a small amount, what am I supposed to do with the rest of the lemon :D

3 SusanV November 12, 2010 at 8:56 am

I think I just wanted to add a little zip with the lemon juice. You could definitely leave it out. :)

4 Angelica March 8, 2013 at 10:28 am

I froze the rest of the lemon juice in an ice cube tray.

5 Azahara Ruiz July 16, 2011 at 10:10 am

Delicious! I opted for a regular size serving, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to wait until tomorrow to have the other half. It’s so refreshing! Thanks!

6 Jay April 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hello! I just started drinking smoothies with silked tofu and needed new recipes. I will definitely try this one, it sounds delish. Thanks.

7 Angelica March 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

This was yummy! I doubled the recipe so that my whole family could have some for breakfast. They kept asking for more! Next time I may have to triple the recipe or make two double batches! I think the touch of lemon really makes a difference.

8 Valerie June 15, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Excited to start learning from your recipes!

9 orthohawk May 28, 2014 at 10:49 pm

I tried this this morning (with Silk almond/coconut milk; yum!) and the banana was VERY strong. It was quite ripe and also frozen. Is the ripeness and whether it’s frozen or fresh a factor in how strong they are? I’ve already got ideas of variations………