Gluten-Free Chickpea Crackers

by on October 5, 2007

Sometimes recipe ideas go horribly wrong. And sometimes really bad recipes can lead to good ones. This was one of those times:

Failed Recipe

I had another “brilliant” high-protein breakfast idea–to create a crepe made of chickpea flour and fill it with a creamed spinach recipe that I used to like. So I adapted a chickpea pancake recipe by Madhur Jaffrey, omitting the Indian spices and decreasing the oil, and substituted basil and oregano for the spices in the creamed spinach. Wrong wrong wrong! As you can see, I had to fight to get the crepe out of the pan without tearing it up, but the real problem was the filling. When I bit into it, I wished I hadn’t wasted my hard-earned crepe on this slimy, bitter concoction. It tasted even worse than it looked!

So I dumped the filled crepe into the compost and began eating the remaining, unfilled one with my fingers. It was surprisingly good all by itself, with no spices or filling. I eventually got out a jar of mango chutney and ate it with that, but the nutty flavor of the unadorned crepe had gotten me thinking: If plain old chickpea flour tastes so good, why not use it to make something else? What about crackers?

The next day I was back in the kitchen making chickpea crackers. The first batch I made plain, just to see if it worked. I really liked the hearty, nutty taste of the chickpea flour coupled with a hint of nutritional yeast, and something about the texture reminded me of the sesame sticks I sometimes buy in bulk at the natural food store. A low-fat, gluten-free version of them seemed like a perfect snack , so a few days later, I came up with a second cracker recipe using a little sesame oil and some toasted sesame seeds. Success! Though not exactly like sesame sticks, they make a great substitute for a treat that’s really high in fat and refined flour.

Both recipes are below. These are very dense crackers, totally gluten-free, and the all-chickpea flour version is especially high in protein and low in carbs. They’re thicker than store-bought crackers because I had trouble getting the dough thin without tearing it, but I kind of like them that way. They’re sturdy enough to hold up under the thickest of dips. I particularly enjoyed the sesame version with baba ganoush, and I think they’d be good also with hummus, though that seems a little redundant.

Chickpea Crackers
Sesame Crackers

Sesame Crackers

Current day month ye@r *

1 Christine December 6, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Thank you, THANK you for these recipes. I've already printed them out to make next weekend.

2 Kelly @Meadows & Meanderings June 24, 2010 at 11:40 am

Thanks for posting these recipes!! I am super excited as I have had some major cracker making flops lately! These look great!

3 nyginko June 29, 2010 at 7:25 pm

SusanV
I am enjoying reading what you’ve written here! About the Gluten-Free Chickpea Crackers posted on October 5, 2007, what is the purpose of the nutritional yeast flakes in this recipe? I ask because it isn’t an ingredient that I’m familiar with nor do I have a supply of it at hand. I’m curious how it
affects the taste and texture of the crackers? Or if it can be omitted?
Thanks,

4 SusanV June 29, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Nutritional yeast gives the crackers a savory, almost cheesy flavor. You can leave it out if you can’t find it.

5 Shelby B July 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Delicious! I made these today and they were perfect!!! Thank you so much

6 Gabrielle August 15, 2010 at 10:56 am

This recipe looks amazing, but I don’t have any chickpea flour on hand right now, would it worked the same if I used whole wheat flower?

7 SusanV August 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

I’m afraid the proportions will be off if you use whole wheat flour. I suggest finding a recipe for whole wheat crackers and then using some of the seasonings in these recipes to flavor them.

8 VB August 25, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Hi – these look absolutely delicious, as well as wonderfully presented – I’m determined to try a few 1-inch sized cookie cutters to make my crackers cute little shapes like the hearts! I have a question much like Nyginko’s – I couldn’t find nutritional yeast, but have “quick” yeast, will this do? I’m glad to see it isn’t an essential ingredient.

9 SusanV August 25, 2010 at 5:04 pm

No, if by quick yeast you mean baking yeast, that won’t work. (In fact, it would make a big mess!) Nutritional yeast doesn’t have the leavening properties of baking yeast, and baking yeast doesn’t have the good flavor of nutritional yeast. You really would be better off leaving it out completely.

10 VB August 25, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Thanks so much – I’m so relieved I checked! I’m a terrible kitchen klutz, and would simply have assumed I’d done it wrong when it messed up. I’ll leave it out in that case! Looking forward to attempting these crackers <3

11 renate wehtje September 4, 2010 at 10:39 am

I made your Chickpea Crackers this week. It said it was totally gluten-free. I have recently been diagnosed with ciliac disease. I got violently ill for two hours. Later I learned that nutrional yeast is NOT gluten-free. Please change your recipe or not advertise it as gluten-free. I don’t want anyone else to try it thinking it is gluten-free and get ill. Thank you. Renate

12 SusanV September 4, 2010 at 10:50 am

I’m so sorry that you got sick. You’re right that some nutritional yeast flakes are not gluten-free. To be safe, I always recommend using only certified gluten-free ingredients. Bob’s Red Mill makes some nutritional yeast that is gluten-free, but only in specially marked bags.

13 Allison September 12, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I think I might try these! They look great! I just found out that I’m probably gluten sensitive, so I’m having to make the change over from my old food life. :)

14 Paula F. September 22, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Thank you so much. My daughter has Celiac Disease and I am severely allergic to MSG. I have yet to find a great cracker for her that I can also eat (most GF crackers have soy lecithin, which has MSG). I am going to try to make these, using the Bob’s Nutritional Yeast.

15 Cheryl October 8, 2010 at 4:31 pm

One caveat. Not all nutritional yeast is gluten free. Be sure it is yeast that was grown on sugar. Bob’s Red Mill Nutritional yeast is gf.

16 Christy December 19, 2010 at 9:39 am

These look so wonderful! I want to make some this week! I am a little new to the vegan community, so haven’t tried baking anything yet. I’m not sure where to buy the non-traditional ingredients. What market places carry these things such as the nutritional yeast and chick pea flour? Thank you!

17 SusanV December 19, 2010 at 9:57 am

Your best bet is at a natural food store, like Whole Foods. They will definitely have the nutritional yeast and maybe the chickpea flour. If you can’t find chickpea flour there, look for it at an Indian grocery store. Good luck!

18 Diane March 13, 2011 at 9:31 am

Thank you for the recipes and information. My husband has progressive heart disease and his cardiologist suggested a gluten-free diet because they do not know. He is not a very willing partner in his change, which means I must make the changes without much fuss.

19 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 13, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Oh my gosh, they are beautful!! By the cute heart shapes you would never guess the chickpea goodness on the inside!

20 Danika April 7, 2011 at 7:33 pm

These are super delicious! I’ve been trying to make more and more of my own food from scratch lately and crackers were simply the next step. Incredibly easy and delicious

21 v. erwin August 7, 2011 at 8:34 pm

It’s tough to find good gluten free crackers! My husband has discovered Dr. Crakers. They look delicious, so I thoughI would check out recipes for gluten free crackers on line. These sound delicious I think I will add seeds and nuts on top, like Dr. Crackers! I can’t wait to try them!!

22 Pam August 7, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thank you!!! This recipe looks great. I can’t wait to try them!

Did you ever figure out how to make chickpea “crepes”? The easiest thing to do is to start with 1 cup water to 1 cup chickpea flour. Mix in flavorings (I like ~1 tsp salt and 1 tsp cumin seeds). Stir. Let it rest for 20 min. Stir and make the crepes. They are more fragile than the gluten-free crepes I make (I’ve never made real crepes), but the key is that they are also supposed to be cooked more – they need to be dry on the bottom and have some dark brown on them before you flip them.

23 SusanV August 8, 2011 at 7:52 am

Thanks for the tips! I need to give them another try.

24 Angela Chan August 19, 2011 at 12:48 pm

By the way….how does one make “chickpea flour”. I assume by just grinding it in a high powered blender (I used my Vita-mix). But I just wanted to be sure. :-) Hubby loved them with black bean dip.

25 SusanV August 19, 2011 at 12:52 pm

That should work. I just buy it already ground.

26 Angela Chan August 19, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Susan…how do I get my personal gravatar on your site?

27 SusanV August 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Angela, go to gravatar.com and add one there. As long as you use the same email there as you do here, it will automatically show up.

28 Angela Chan August 19, 2011 at 12:47 pm

What holds them together though? Just the water. Won’t they be kind of “dry” tasting???? :-)

29 Angela Chan August 19, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I made these…they are wonderful.

Do you have a recipe that I could use in a dehydrator for ChickPea Crackers. I tried on but I just ended up with crumbs.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your site.

30 SusanV August 19, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Sorry, I don’t have a dehydrator so I don’t know. Wish I did!

31 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day October 7, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I am SOOO making these.. I make chickpea flatbread all the time and love it.. (In fact I just had some for lunch.. and I’ve made chickpea “chips” in the oven like pita chips from the flatbread.. but never crackers with a thick, rolled out dough! Thanks for this recipe

32 Kate October 10, 2011 at 3:52 am

hi, i was wondering how many crackers are in 1 serving and what sixe would those crackers be if they were square?

33 denise November 5, 2011 at 8:56 pm

Lol ….I have chickens to eat all my diasters!!! Thanking you for the recipes! I will let you know how i go……regards

34 Trish Mohr November 8, 2011 at 8:34 am

I happened upon your website when researching nutritional yeast. I’ve recently gone vegetarian, leaning towards vegan and was introduced to this at a Vegan cooking class. I use this stuff in so many things. Add it to spagetti sauce, sprinkle it on garlic toast, put it in my scrambled eggs. So many vegan/vegetarian dishes taste a little flat and I find NY really brings out the flavor of dishes. Look forward to exploring your website.

35 Evelyn August 24, 2012 at 8:11 am

You could bake the chickpeas and have them as snacks as they taste just like nuts.

Here’s what I did:

36 Korine October 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

This sounds fun to try! And I laughed out loud at your comment about it being redundant to use these crackers with hummus!

37 Crista September 30, 2013 at 10:33 am

Wow, I want to try that chickpea crackers!
Can you also use others oils except canola oil?

38 Susan Voisin September 30, 2013 at 10:34 am

Sure, I just use canola oil because it contains more Omega 3′s than olive or peanut oil.

39 Julie October 9, 2013 at 10:34 pm

I bet you could roll these out on parchment paper to get them thinner. Then you would not have to worry about the dough breaking because you wouldn’t have to pick it up. I cook pizzas on parchment paper all the time because it is easier to just slide the parchment paper onto the pizza stone

40 Claudia October 10, 2013 at 4:38 am

This looks great!
I have chick-pea flour at home and I never find enough ways to use it! Also.. I have been looking for good healthy crackers, but even in bio stores there is always way too much fat for my taste. So I am looking forward to trying these little guys :) and if they are as good as they look then I can experiment with all sorts of spices and herbs in them. Yummy!

41 Vicki Birch June 2, 2014 at 11:58 pm

Hello, Just wanted to say thanks for all the fabulous recipie and ideas. I am wanting to eat more vegetarian foods as I have become more aware of what goes on in the food industry and the cruelty towards the animals and I cant stand it, I do not want to support these industries any longer and I am looking for alternatives. Vicki :)

42 Danny June 15, 2014 at 12:38 am

Awesome recipes! currently fasting …probably why I am looking at food recipes…dang masochistic tendencies!
Can’t wait to try them