Fingerling Potatoes Braised with Smoked Paprika

by on September 10, 2008

Fingerling Potatoes Braised with Smoked PaprikaI love fingerling potatoes. Their small size and elongated shape just scream cute, and since their skin is thin and tender, they look and taste great in dishes that use them whole. But besides being adorable, they cook up soft and creamy, without falling apart or splitting like new potatoes or Yukon golds, in less time than it takes to cook most other potatoes.

Fingerlings make great oven fries–just cut them in half lengthwise, arrange them on a baking sheet spritzed with canola oil, and bake them at 400F until they’re done–but I’ve found that braising in a seasoned broth works really well with them; they seem to suck the flavors right up, resulting in potatoes that are seasoned all the way through, not just on the surface.

In this side dish, I braised the fingerlings in a broth flavored lightly with tomato and saffron and heavily with smoked paprika. (Saffron is expensive, and since it lends a very light taste to this dish, you can leave it out or, if you like, reduce the paprika to about half, allowing the saffron a little more room to shine.) Once the potatoes were done, I let the broth cook down to a thick, smoky sauce that’s punctuated by the flavor of fresh oregano.

Served with sundried tomato and basil omelettes (made easily in my new George Foreman grill) and a crisp, green salad, these rich-tasting potatoes were absolutely delicious. E declared them “kid-friendly, even if they’re not French fries.”

Fingerling Potatoes Braised with Smoked Paprika

1 Anonymous September 22, 2009 at 8:34 am

I loved this recipe! I substituted new potatoes (had to use them up) but it still came out smoky and complex. People trying this recipe might want to remember to bring the broth to a boil before covering the pot, and THEN lower the heat and let it simmer. Also, you don't need a dutch oven for this recipe as it never goes into the oven.

2 dinnerware December 15, 2009 at 10:53 am

Had I stumbled across this great recipe a month ago, I would have tried these out sometime during the Thanksgiving weekend…….however, this will make it into my kitchen sometime over the upcoming holidays! Thanks!

3 Dana December 20, 2010 at 11:00 am

Wonderful recipe Susan!

I’ve made it 7 times now, and each time I seem to love it even more. The smoked paprika adds just the perfect touch of smokiness to the faux chicken broth, and the red onion has the perfect “bite”.

Thank you so much.

4 Farrah Pileggi October 25, 2011 at 6:58 pm

I just made these tonight and they are SO GOOD! Not only does my house have this delicious, smoky aroma wafting through, these potatoes are so good they could be my main course!

5 Sandi September 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm

Susan, do you think this would work with purple potatoes? I have some that I need to use up.

6 Susan Voisin September 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Sure, I think purple potatoes would be great–and an interesting color combination.

7 julie September 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Do you think I could leave the tomato paste out (or substitute something for it)? We have a bad tomato allergy in our family. But these look DELICIOUS!

8 Susan Voisin September 10, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I’m not sure what you could substitute for it because it carries a lot of flavor. Plus, it also helps thicken the sauce, so I’m not sure it would be a sauce with anything else, but maybe you can think of something.

9 Heidi September 11, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I’m allergic to tomatoes and sometimes I’ve used other vegetable purees (usually pumpkin, butternut or carrot) if tomato is supposed to be a thickener. Part of the tomato is the acid flavor so I tend to supplement with a dash of citrus juice or vinegar. Other ideas are ones I’ve not tried yet, but tamarind keeps coming up as suggestions from other veggie friends. Have fun!

10 Kerstin Rosee November 9, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Holy guacamole! Just made these and they were amazing! I think they’ll become a family favourite. I was a bit nervous because it took my broth ages to thicken into a nice gloop, but in the end it was pure creamy heaven. Thank you <3