I know I just posted a waffle recipe, but I couldn’t resist showing you my latest version: Pumpkin Waffles.
I had a craving for pumpkin (must be that fall nip in the air) and decided to see if I could make a fat-free pumpkin waffle using gluten-free flours. Although my family and I are not gluten-free, I know that a lot of my readers are, so I like to offer a gluten-free option from time to time.
If I say so myself, these pumpkin waffles were amazing. As soon as the batter hit the waffle iron, the tantalizing aroma of pumpkin and spices filled the air, luring my husband to the kitchen. He eagerly began eating the first waffles while I continued to cook the rest, grabbing the camera between batches to take the photo you see above.
I was still cooking waffles when I thought to ask my husband how they were. “Delicious! I was so busy eating that I forgot to say.” “Delicious for gluten-free or just delicious?” “These are gluten-free?” Nuf said.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Waffles
A tantalizing blend of spices makes these pumpkin waffles amazingly delicious. Don't mention that they're gluten-free and vegan and no one will know.
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons potato starch or corn starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 large pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup solid-pack canned pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups soymilk, water, or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Mix all ingredients except orange juice and set aside to rest while you heat your waffle iron. Once the waffle iron is hot, add the orange juice to the batter and stir.
Spray the iron lightly with canola oil (if you know your waffle iron is very non-stick, you can skip this step, but unfortunately most waffle irons do stick.) Follow manufacturer’s directions to make waffles. (Batter will be very thick; add more orange juice or water if you want a thinner batter.) You may need to spray the iron between waffles to avoid sticking.
Makes 4 servings, about 2 average-sized waffles per serving.
2.2K 683 3.5K