Pumpkin Pie Bites

by on November 9, 2009

Pumpkin Pie Bites

My daughter and I go kind of pumpkin crazy this time of year. It starts when we see the first small pie pumpkins in the grocery store and she convinces me that we just have to have one. She takes it home, decorates it with permanent markers, and then refuses to let me cook her work of art. (Since it’s now covered in toxic ink, I’m not too eager to cook with it anyway.) She then demands that we buy more pumpkins so that we’ll have something to make pies with. So I hide the markers and buy more pumpkins.

My pumpkin-buying mania extends to canned pumpkin. In October and November, I find so many ways to add pumpkin to my meals that I’m convinced that I will want to cook with it all year long, and driven by the fear that it will disappear from the stores after the winter holidays, I buy can after can. Naturally, I never get around to using it all. The pumpkin dishes that seem so appealing in the Fall lose their allure by April, when there are asparagus to play with. As a result, before I can go on my canned pumpkin frenzy and buy more this year, I needed to use up last year’s stock, so I sat down to plan out a new recipe.

While my daughter was envisioning pumpkin pie, for some reason I just kept seeing bars. Specifically, oatmeal bars. Obviously, a compromise was in order, so I designed these bites to appeal to both of our cravings. The gluten-free crust is made up mostly of oatmeal, while the filling is sweet, spicy pumpkin. Each one is like a two-bite pumpkin pie, but I doubt you’ll be able to eat just one.

Pumpkin Pie Bites

Now I know that some of you are going to wonder why I didn’t use fresh pumpkin in these bars. One thing that canned pumpkin has going for it is that its moisture content is consistent. When I tell you to use 15 ounces of canned pumpkin, whether you live in Seattle or Asheville you’ll be able to cook the recipe with results that are pretty much like mine. Working with fresh pumpkin is a little trickier; once you’ve gotten it cooked, it may be more or less watery than the pumpkin I use, and your pumpkin pie bites might need more thickener to get them to set. So while I encourage you to use fresh ingredients whenever possible, I made the recipe using canned pumpkin so that it will work for most people. If you’re using fresh pumpkin, just make sure you drain it well after it’s cooked so that its consistency is close to canned.

One more thing: I made these using sorghum flour so that they’d be gluten-free. (I don’t need to eat gluten-free, but a lot of my readers do, so I like to make it easier for them to make my recipes.) The fat-free, sorghum crust is a little dry right at first, but I found that it softened overnight, so if you can, make these bites the day before, or use a softer type of flour, such as whole wheat pastry flour.

Pumpkin Pie Bites

Bonus cat photo for those of you who read this far:

Pumpkin Pie Bites

This is what happens when you photograph your food in a house with a fearless and incorrigible kitten in it. While I was trying to get one final shot of the bites, our newest family member took a fancy to them. He actually managed to grab a small piece. Though he seemed to like it, I’m not recommending you share these treats with your pets!

1 KathyF November 9, 2009 at 10:51 am

The pumpkin bites look delicious, but the photo of the cat–priceless!

You need to enter it in a contest!

2 Lauren November 9, 2009 at 11:00 am

These sound great! I am quite a pumpkin fiend myself, so this recipe is going on my to-make list. I love the kitty photograph!

3 Kim November 9, 2009 at 11:03 am

Can't wait to try these, look easy to assemble. Your kitty is cute, looks like my cat.

4 Abigail November 9, 2009 at 11:10 am

These look great. I think I will make them for the annual Thanksgiving With the Turkeys potluck at the animal sanctuary. I'll bet the turkeys will enjoy them, too!

5 Sophia November 9, 2009 at 11:15 am

I have a fairly serious pumpkin obsession too! Pumpkins are awesome, and the fact they are only out once a year makes us love them even more.
Those pumpkin bites look very very good. I could really go for one right now.

6 The Ordinary Vegetarian November 9, 2009 at 11:36 am

These are very unique, and sound supremely delicious!

That is a super cute kitty pic, and totally something that my brown tabby would do (including running off with a bite!)

7 Renai November 9, 2009 at 11:44 am

YUM! I have been looking for something other than pumpkin bread to make this year, and these look wonderful.

The cat picture killed me… he looks just like ours and she behaves the same way! I was eating a toasted PBJ last night and she walked right up into my lap and took a bite out of the bottom of it! Apparently she liked my lavender plum jam…

8 Lauren November 9, 2009 at 11:49 am

Looks great! One question… what do you think would work to sub for the silken tofu here? Wondering if bananas would be ok, or vegan mayo… just want to save myself a trip to the shops before payday. :)

9 Jenn November 9, 2009 at 11:55 am

Great recipe Susan, thanks!

-Hello Veggie

10 Janet November 9, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Thank you! These look delicious, and I look forward to sharing them with my family on Thanksgiving.

Fantastic feline photo! :-)

11 jennyfurlynn November 9, 2009 at 12:17 pm

that is the cutest cup & saucer set! and the cat picture rocks. :)

12 issa November 9, 2009 at 12:19 pm

yum! i'm also pumpkin-obsessed. thank you for this recipe! i think i'll be making these tonight and adding them to the thanksgiving menu :)

13 Earth Fare November 9, 2009 at 12:23 pm

These sound wonderful! I'm a pumpkin freak myself. I can't wait to try them.

14 Clea November 9, 2009 at 12:56 pm

These look great! Just wondering, since I know you've used stevia in a few recipes, would that be possible in the filling or crust here?

15 moonwatcher November 9, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Susan,

These look scrumptious, and thanks for the gluten free crust! I will definitely try these. My son and his girlfriend are coming home for Thanksgiving, and now she is eating gluten free, too, so it will be appreciated, truly. I am pumpkin obsessed, as well, and can relate to squirreling away both canned pumpkin and whole pumpkins or other sweet squash–I have a stash under my bed where it's coo, right now:) (Impromptu root cellar lol)

I laughed out loud at the photo of your kitten, and also that he took a bite. . .this weekend I made an oil free version of Karina's gluten free pumpkin bundt cake–as I was slicing it up to take to a potluck, a few bits dropped on the floor–and low and behold, my new dog apparently loves pumpkin desserts, too. . . . :)

xo

16 Jessica Tinkler November 9, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hi Susan
I just wanted to tell you what a fan I am of your blog! I'm not even vegan or vegetarian! What I am is a health and fitness nut! But when I first started blogging, it was this blog that inspired me! Feel free to come for a visit any time! http://www.blog.intofit.com. If there is ever something in particular you want me to post about- feel free to comment and let me know! hopefully you'll find my blog as useful as I find yours!

17 Barbara November 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm

The pumpkin bite recipe looks so awesome, I'm adding the ingredients to my TJ's list right now. I'm going to make them for my carnivorous children as part of my contribution for Thanksgiving. I'm also going to make something scrumptuously vegan to entice them onto the V path.

The kitty is so cute it makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time! I just made the photo my screen saver and wish I could make it full page size. Any advice about that?

Thanks so much, Barbara in Northern California

18 kbinbk November 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm

These sound delicious…I love all things pumpkin! I might be making these bars this week, as a little change-up to my pumpkin muffins that I've been making every few days (as our supply gets eaten).

Your cat is just like mine … although my cat is getting on in years, he still thinks that the kitchen (and everywhere else) is his domain. He jumps up on the countertop and table when my daughter and I are cooking or baking, and has been known to try to get at whatever we're putting in the oven. Sometimes I catch him watching the baking through the glass window with my almost-3-year-old!

Thanks for this recipe!
Kristie
tripflip.blogspot.com

19 . November 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Great website! I work at Pembroke College Cambridge and are dedicated to serving great vegan cuisine. We introduced a vegan tapas bar in Jan 08, we offer 12 hot vegan options at lunch and dinner every day! I wrote a short blog entry about our tapas bar earlier today @

I know this is a bit off topic but I think any young college age readers will be suprised to see the great work Pembroke is doing.

Keep up the great work,

David Harwood
Catering Manager
Pembroke College
University of Cambridge
Vegan Society Approved

20 SusanV November 9, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Barbara, here's a link to a larger photo of the cat. I hope this works as a full-page screen saver: Larger-Size Cat Photo

21 Jelli Bean November 9, 2009 at 4:13 pm

Love the kitty picture! Oh, how I wish apartment living was pet friendly.

22 doglover November 9, 2009 at 5:30 pm

what a pretty kitty
and those treats look delicious

23 candice November 9, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I'm going to eat my screen! Those look like the perfect autumn treat. :D I wonder if it would taste good with other types of squash too? Maybe even sweet potato puree?

24 Johanna November 9, 2009 at 6:21 pm

that kitty photo is hilarious – and those pumpkin bits look delicious – I love the idea of pumpkin pie but would never make it – these little bites look more my sort of thing

25 veggievixen November 9, 2009 at 8:34 pm

ummm, awesome!!! perfect for the season. actually, i would eat these all year round. but mostly i want to eat them now. glad to see your cat likes them too :)

26 Ms. Veggie November 9, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I'm going to make these pumpkin bites SOON; they look fabulous! I spent most of October blogging about pumpkin. Feel free to come over to my blog and see what I found (http://msveggiesreview.blogspot.com). Your posts are always great :-)

27 julie hasson November 9, 2009 at 9:14 pm

These look fabulous Susan! I'm going to bake up a batch this week. Thanks for sharing!

28 Gina November 9, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Haha, I'm always surprised at the things my cat decides she wants to try. Her new favorite is licking my cereal bowl, I think she is actually fond of soymilk.

29 Rachel November 9, 2009 at 10:29 pm

You've outdone yourself, again! I'm going to make these using brown rice flour and link back to your blog this week when I do. (I hope that is okay, if not, just let me know and I can send people to your blog instead.) Thanks for sharing another delicious looking recipe.

30 Kim November 9, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Any recommendations for substituting the tofu? I'm allergic to soy, and it is always tricky to substitute tofu in things like this – I suppose I could just use white beans – it would be thicker, but might to the trick. I'd love your suggestions!

31 L2baker November 9, 2009 at 10:48 pm

You are amazing! I am so excited to make another one of your fabulous recipes!

32 Josiane November 9, 2009 at 11:00 pm

These bars clearly are as fabulous as you made them sound when you mentioned them on Twitter a few days ago! I have a dinner with friends later this week, and I'm the one who has to bring dessert – now, I have one more recipe on my shortlist; it keeps getting harder to decide what I'll bake! Seriously, though, your recipe is very close to the top of the list; thank you for sharing it.

33 Veg is Sexy November 10, 2009 at 12:26 am

I can't wait to make these for Thanksgiving!

34 taleoftwovegans November 10, 2009 at 1:01 am

Those look, and sound, delicious! I am now even more dissapointed I couldn't find canned pumpkin on my travels today- I would have had all the ingredients to make them up right away! ;)
LOVE the cat photo too! Pets do make everything so much more interesting and entertaining!
-K

35 Anonymous November 10, 2009 at 9:37 am

Hi Susan

Did you use Libby's canned pumpkin that says ' 100% Pure Pumpkin? '

Is it same that you/many recipes refer to pumpkin puree and not the pumpkin pie mix?

36 SusanV November 10, 2009 at 9:53 am

I don't use the Libby's brand, but I do use 100% pure pumpkin–NOT pumpkin pie mix, which already has spices added. All my recipes use either pure canned pumpkin or fresh pumpkin puree (check individual recipes).

37 Ricki November 10, 2009 at 10:12 am

How many ways can one say "MMMMM!"? They look spectacular–and GF, too! :)

Love the kitty photo!

38 Ricki November 10, 2009 at 10:12 am

How many ways can one say "MMMMM!"? They look spectacular–and GF, too! :)

Love the kitty photo!

39 Laina November 10, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Susan, what a delicious looking dessert. I'm also a pumpkin lover and will be trying these soon. Where does one find the crystallized ginger?

Thanks for another recipe to try!

Laina :-)

PS Mrs. V you have a lovely kitten.

40 Alisa - frugal foodie November 10, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Those pumpkin bites look awesome, as usual … but the kitty photo, too cute!

41 Elizabeth Edith November 10, 2009 at 3:00 pm

gah! These look awesome! I love it how you use "good" ingredients that I've heard of and have most of on hand, but combine them so deliciously. I can't wait to make these :)

42 love lives in the kitchen November 10, 2009 at 3:14 pm

hello susan! i love your blog and i'm very happy to meet you! your recipes are great, so much inspiration here!
see you soon!
justyna

43 vegannut November 10, 2009 at 4:26 pm

Love the kitty pic. Thanks for sharing the extra fun shots. Can't wait to try these.
Thanks

44 Mary November 10, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Oh my gosh, I wish I could get a cat. That is the cutest. These bars sound delicious! I'm going to check out your other pumpkin recipes, too.

45 Melissa November 10, 2009 at 5:44 pm

These are fabulous! Thank you for sharing!

46 pixiepine November 11, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Kitty-approved pumpkin bites! Perfect!

47 mare November 11, 2009 at 2:53 pm

These look sweet (as in tasty not sugary). Would rice flakes be an appropriate substitute for the oats?

48 Trinity (of haiku tofu) November 11, 2009 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for the secret kitty pic! love it! and those pumpkin bites will surely be in my dreams tonight.

49 yari November 12, 2009 at 7:13 am

Great recipe, great photos! Too bad canned pumpkin isn't sold here in Italy.

50 Anonymous November 12, 2009 at 9:52 am

SUSAN!! Have you been holding out on us? This is the first I've heard of a new kitten! I must have more pictures!!! I'll be on pins and needles until you post some!

-Rocket Scientist

51 SusanV November 12, 2009 at 10:03 am

Hey, R.S., I have to apologize for not featuring him until now. The truth is, he's not really new. We adopted him in late March, and I twittered some photos of him then, but didn't write about him here. If you're interested, here's a series of photos of him on Flickr:
New Kitten Photos

52 Candi November 12, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I'll be making these for making the holiday rounds! They look great!

Your kitty photo is SO cute!! haha I love that he grabbed a bite!

53 Kristine November 12, 2009 at 7:14 pm

Susan – I can't stop drooling long enough to make these….YUMMMMM!

You've brightened my holiday menu!!

Kristine

54 Penina@FeedYourRoots November 12, 2009 at 10:15 pm

This recipe looks great! I've been looking for a pumpkin recipe to try. Thanks for sharing!

55 Debbie November 13, 2009 at 10:29 am

These were FANTASTIC! I used whole wheat pastry flour. I do have a couple questions. 1. Should this be stored in the refrigerator? 2. I couldn't really "pour" the crust into the pan – it just sort of plopped out. It took me a good 10 sticky mess minutes to get it spread in the pan. It was like the consistency of rice krispy treats. Can you please go into a little more detail about the crust consistency?

56 SusanV November 13, 2009 at 11:08 am

Debbie, "pour" was a poor word choice. "Plop and press" would be more accurate! Mine wasn't exactly the consistency of rice crispy treats and it took only a minute to press into the pan, but you're right that it doesn't pour. It could be that whole wheat flour makes a stickier dough than sorghum flour, so it might be necessary to adjust the amount a little bit. I'm sorry that it gave you so much trouble but am glad they tasted good!

57 The Voracious Vegan November 13, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Hahaha! I go pumpkin crazy this time of year, too. Well, I'm pumpkin crazy ALL year long, but it just seems more festive during the winter months.

Thank you for this delicious recipe, I can't wait to try it for myself.

58 Lena November 13, 2009 at 5:06 pm

OMG…i think i might make these next weekend…if it was up to me i would be making them this weekend but ive got a big test on monday…these delicious morsels will just have to wait a week i guess…but i cant wait!! thanks for the recipe!

59 Lena November 13, 2009 at 5:09 pm

o and how is it that your pictures always turn out looking so amazingly professional! I feel like im opening a Home Cooking magazine! gorgeous…the cat almost looks posed!

60 Kevin November 14, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Those pumpkin bars look so good! Better eat them quickly before the cat gets them all.

61 Marisa November 14, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Did you use silken tofu as a substitute for something non-vegan, like cream cheese? As much as I admire the idea of eating a superfood like soybeans, for some reason tofu is crazy expensive here (even though IN is pretty much the soybean capital) and I am not vegan. I noticed others in the comments looking for substitutes for this as well.

62 Anonymous November 14, 2009 at 11:41 pm

Hello Susan,
I am planning to make your pumpkin pie bites tomorrow. Do you think it would be ok to substitute agave for some or all of the sugar in the crust and filling?

63 SusanV November 15, 2009 at 10:41 am

Marisa, a non-vegan version of this would probably contain cream cheese and eggs, and if you do a Google search, you can probably find "pumpkin bars" or something similar that you could make or adapt. (I will refrain from commenting on the healthiness of those recipes.)

Agave: I would use a little less of it than sugar (1/3 cup agave per 1/2 cup sugar), but I think you could safely substitute it for any or all of the sugar.

I'm about to leave on vacation, so if there are any more questions, I hope some of my experienced readers will jump in and answer them. Bye!

64 MamaDog November 17, 2009 at 8:32 am

I can vouch for the yummy-ness!

Only thing is it was a bit on the gooey side – next time i'll add ground flax seed to thicken (and molasses for some added iron).

Also, i didn't have walnuts so used pecans and i wonder if this might even be better. It made an amazing topping.

65 Wohali November 19, 2009 at 8:12 am

These are amazing, and better than pie! I brought them for healthy snack day at work. Definitely a new dish that I can share and no one's gets too leary about the ingredients.

66 Angiepee November 20, 2009 at 11:20 pm

These are ok, I would double or triple the topping if I made them again, the topping makes the bar!

67 The Blasphemous Fiendess November 23, 2009 at 12:48 am

Those pumpkin bites look delicious and I love pumpkin! The cat photo is hilarious. I had a cat who loved pumpkin pie.

68 RG November 23, 2009 at 7:17 pm

It is monday and I just made the bars. Plan to serve them on thanksgiving. Can they be frozen or should I just refrigerate?

69 SusanV November 23, 2009 at 7:51 pm

RG, I would refrigerate them as soon as they cool off. Place them in a covered container lined with paper towels, and they should keep until Thursday. Enjoy!

70 Kelly November 23, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Very tasty! I made them tonight and noticed that the crust ingredients call for 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal, but the instructions say to use 1/2 cup of the oatmeal and never say to use the remainder. Where does it go? I omitted it, and our guests loved it, but I wonder if the crust was too gooey.

71 SusanV November 23, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Kelly, I should have made it clearer that 1/2 cup of the oatmeal gets ground into flour and it's then mixed with the rest of the oatmeal and other dry ingredients. If you liked the gooier crust, then I'd say that it worked for you, but I'm surprised that you had enough crust to spread over the bottom of the pan. Using all of the oatmeal does result in a very sturdy crust.

72 Sarah November 25, 2009 at 2:27 am

Awww man, Kelly – I did the same thing with the crust! Gooey and hard to spread, but OMGosh these bars are awesome! Kids are taking them to school tomorrow for their Thanksgiving parties, and I am SURE they will be a huge hit! Thanks Susan! Have a happy day celebrating the lives of the turkeys!

73 michelle November 25, 2009 at 11:56 am

Do you press the tofu first? How long have I been vegetarian, and I've only cooked with tofu ONCE! I find it so intimidating. Is it a rule that you always press and squeeze all the water out of tofu before you use it? Haha, I feel so lame asking this.
This is my favorite foodie blog, thanks so much for all you do!

74 SusanV November 25, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Hi Michelle–I just drain the water off the tofu, no pressing. I almost never press tofu, so unless one of my recipes specifically says to do so, you don't need to press. (This is a pretty good rule for other people's recipes, too.)

I hope you'll give cooking with tofu another try. It's really worth it!

75 SusanV November 25, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Oh, PS–This recipe calls for silken tofu (the kind in the aseptic box, by Mori-Nu). It almost never requires pressing because it would fall apart.

76 HeidiTFM November 25, 2009 at 5:56 pm

Alas, I made the same error with the crust as others here did. I don't feel so badly for the screw up, since it still tastes fine. The texture is a bit too chewy, but it should firm up by tomorrow (if all goes well). Also, I had to bake about 20 extra minutes to get the center to firm. Anyone else have issues with cooking times?

I will say, the custard itself was absolutely delicious. I couldn't stop eating it before it was cooked!

77 Eliza November 25, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I made these the other day and they are so tasty! My kids loved them too. I'll definitely be making them again. I didn't have fresh nutmeg or crystallized ginger but they were still great.

78 michelle November 25, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Susan,
Thank you for the comment–it helped so much! Thank you for pointing out that it is the silken variety as well, I had purchased regular extra firm without giving it much thought!
I can't wait to get the right tofu, so I can make them!
Michelle :)

79 Stef November 25, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Made a batch of these for Thanksgiving dinner. Couldn't resist eating a few bites along with licking the bowl…

Thanks for the great inspiration, perfect for vegans and those not liking heavy dairy-laden desserts alike :-)

80 tjmcols November 26, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I opted to try these for our thanksgiving brunch today – had to have pumpkin somethin right? I didn't have crystallized ginger on hand and I think it would have been nice addition. At first I thought the bites weren't sweet enough but I find myself nibbling on these all day! This the first butter free, oil free crust I ever tried and I am again impressed! I think the same crust with a layer of apple sauce and chopped apples would be to die for! I couldn't live without this website!

81 Mo December 2, 2009 at 9:05 am

These are wonderful! They were much appreciated both at home and at the vegan thanksgiving potluck where they were quickly and happily devoured. Thanks so much for another fantastic recipe, Susan!

82 Eman December 13, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Made them yesterday and everyone loved them. They tasted delicious! Thank you Susan

83 Anonymous December 14, 2009 at 8:35 am

Fabulous recipe. I needed a vegan dessert, and this was just wonderful. I divided the pan into 18 pumpkin bars. Everyone raved about them. Thank you!

84 cleanandkind January 6, 2010 at 1:05 pm

wow, those look amazing! great job! I love pumpkin.

85 Laura January 8, 2010 at 12:05 pm

These are REALLY good! My household is keeping them around for snacks and breakfast and they do the trick. I agree the topping is worth it. I was afraid it would be too much ginger for my husband but he loves them as much as I do.

86 Jacqualyn February 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I just found your site today and am beyond grateful!

Just wanted to say thanks!

87 Sophie February 17, 2010 at 7:08 am

Waw!! These squares with pumpkin in them look so tasty!!

MMMMMMMMMMMMM,…lovely food!

88 CeAnne March 5, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Those look SO good. Any vegan subsitution for the tofu… hoping to making this ASAP and hubby just HATEs tofu the thought and taste of it. If he ever knew it was in there that would be the end.

The cat picture is priceless :o)

89 Casey April 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Susan (or anyone that knows),
I made these this past weekend and loves the filling and the topping, however I thought the crust was very hard and dense and although i still ate it I felt like it could have been better (flakier or crumblier or something not so dense). I used whole grain flour, but I don’t think I did anything wrong, but do you have any suggestions on how to make sure the crust doesn’t become so dense. Could I just up the amount of applesauce? please help because these were amazing for their healthiness except for the crust!

90 SusanV April 23, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Hi Casey, one of the problems of fat-free baking is that it lacks the flakiness of regular baked goods. If your crust seemed excessively hard, though, it sounds like your could use more applesauce. Flours have different moisture contents, and yours may just need more liquid.

91 Ruth May 4, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Man! I finally tried these last week and they were FANTABULOUS! I took a few liberties with the filling to make it soy-free but…. man oh man! Ummm-hmmmm :)

92 Rebekah November 12, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Ruth – how did you make it soy-free? I soooo want to try this pumpkin bar recipe!!
Thanks!

93 katherine June 30, 2010 at 11:32 am

What can I use instead of tofu?

I just found your blog, and I’m really enjoying browsing your healthy recipes :)

94 El December 28, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Made these for Christmas get together. They were a hit. Super yummy. I have one question, Can you replace the Tofu with something else? For those allergic to soy

Thank you for the great website and recipes!

95 Deanna January 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Love the picture with the cat! These look great! Ever think about selling what you bake? I would order :)

96 aleonard January 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Would these freeze well, or would the tofu in them morph in the freezing process? Since it’s mixed in and baked, I wasn’t sure. Thanks for your help!

97 alyssa November 9, 2011 at 6:26 pm

omg thanks for putting up that dessert photo that made me make a homemade pumpkin pie chunks with peanut butter chocolate granola on the bottom!!!!!!!! it gonna be yummy!!!!!:)

98 Kathy November 23, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Susan, is there a substitute to use for the tofu for those of us who cannot use soy? Thanks, Kathy

99 Lacey November 27, 2011 at 2:30 pm

I made these for our Thanksgiving gathering. My vegan family members loved them. Those that are used to fat laden pumpkin cheesecake did not. I think it depends on what you are used to and what you are expecting but we enjoyed the pumpkin and spices in this treat!

100 Alexis D October 13, 2012 at 9:19 am

I made these for CDN Thanksgiving. I used WW Pastry flour in stead of the Sorghum. The bottom crust was super sticky and a pain in the ass to spread in the pan, and once they were baked, I thought maybe I pressed it too much because it was super chewy and unedible. Once they sat in a container over night, as suggested, they were a completely different square. Very enjoyable. Glad I didn’t throw out the whole batch when I thought they were ruined. Will def make again!!! Thanks for the recipe.

101 Lauren November 3, 2012 at 6:41 pm

What can I use in place of tofu? I know that soy products are not good for someone with hypothyroidism. Thank you.

102 Radhika Sarohia November 4, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Your fearless and incorrigible cat is so cute!

103 Jitka November 5, 2012 at 7:41 am

I noticed a few people asked already – but I haven’t seen a reply yet (apologies if I missed it!): can the tofu be substituted? I breastfeed and my baby is allergic to tofu :(

104 Susan Voisin November 5, 2012 at 8:02 am

I haven’t tried it with anything but tofu, so I don’t know what to suggest. Sorry!

105 AVBear November 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I made these today, following the recipe almost to the T. I didn’t have canned pumpkin so I steamed some Hokkaido and then pureed it. It was quite dry, so I ended up adding a bit of soy milk to the mixture.
And because I didn’t have walnuts I used pecans like another person suggested earlier.
I must admit, I was a bit worried that I would taste the silken tofu in the end product, but there isn’t even a hint of it. These pumpkin pie bites are absolutely delicious! Thank you! :) And Happy Thanksgiving! :)

106 AVBear November 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I made these for actual thanksgiving (in Denmark) this year … Which in our case was almost a week after we’d celebrated (on the weekend prior), so dinner was really just leftovers from the big day. But I wanted to make a dessert. And these were so good! I was worried I’d taste the tofu through the bites, but there wasn’t even a hint of it. I may have added 50% more spices and slightly less sugar, but other than that followed the recipe to T (with homemade pumpkin purée from a Hokkaido). I loved them, and so did my 2-year old daughter. What a great way to get her to eat pumpkin! (Although she kept asking for pumpkin pie triangles in stead of squares… We’re working on shapes) :)
Thank you! And happy (belated) thanksgiving. :)

107 Stacey Smith September 6, 2013 at 7:10 pm

The pumpkin bites look divine! I am not a tofu lover, what can I substitute for tofu?
Very funny cat picture you have to enter it in a contest !

108 Jen Kaboom September 26, 2013 at 10:57 am

Thank you so much for posting such amazing recipes! As a newbie to the world of veganism, i really appreciate all the time and effort that you put into your site, and trying out and sharing all of these fantastic recipes with us! I was looking for more ways to use pumpkin, and i can’t wait to try these out! Thanx again!

109 Marielle November 9, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Your cat looks exactly like one of ours! (In looks and behaviour :) ) I just made your cumin-infused vegetables on quinoa, what a beautiful dish!

Marielle

110 Dawn November 14, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Are you able to do the pumpkin pie bites without tofu? If not, do you have a recommendation on something else that can be used in lieu of it?

111 Leah M November 23, 2013 at 9:50 am

I made these for a vegetarian potluck and they were great, especially the next day. Do you think I could use the filling and bake in a vegan pie crust like a traditional pie? Thanks so much! Love your recipes.

112 Susan Voisin November 23, 2013 at 10:16 am

I don’t see why not. I’m glad you enjoyed them!

113 Werner November 23, 2013 at 11:08 pm

These are fantastic! Tried them out this weekend to see if we want to serve at our Thanksgiving dessert night – only variations per your suggestions: maple syrup instead of agave and pecans instead of walnuts. Love the textures: crust like a cookie, super creamy delicious center, nutty topping with the surprise zing of the ginger. My family prefers to pick up pumpkin pie to eat, rather than use a fork. Then they leave the uneaten, bland and overcooked crusts. So these bites are perfect. The filling blended up in seconds in my NEW VitaMix (if you can stand one more mention of my great new machine). Thank you, Susan, for your delicious, inventive recipes. Happy Thanksgiving.

114 Miri February 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm

do you have recipes for people that needs to keep the glucose down ? what can i substitute for sweetener ? that include fruit juices and fruit sauces too because of the high sugar content in fruits . I am on a strict diet for a few months , but I miss having something sweet . Any suggestions?
miri

115 Diane August 25, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Just made these tonight and omg soo good!! Only thing is the crust is a little hard and dry but like you said it moistens overnight so fingers crossed! I’ve been obsessed with some of your recipes and try to make one of them a week. So far my most FAVOURITE recipe is the mushroom gravy!! I’m obsessed with it, sooo good! I’ve made 3 times this week and put it on everything haha anyways back to stuffing my face with these guilt free bites :) thank you!

116 Susan November 11, 2014 at 11:30 am

This looks great but I won’t make them and present them as gluten-free. Even gluten-free oats can cause a reaction in some with celiac disease (my aunt for one) so I won’t risk it.

117 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan November 11, 2014 at 12:33 pm

These look amazing! Love your little kitty’s appearance in the post too : )

118 Beth November 11, 2014 at 2:13 pm

I confess I cheated: I didn’t read all the way to the end. I just scrolled quickly to the bottom to see if it was Loki. :-)