Happy New Year! At the end of each year, I try to come up with a new black-eyed pea recipe so that I can start the year off with the Southern tradition of black-eyed peas and greens. Since I don’t want to be too traditional, I try to create something a little different each time. This year I decided to really shake things up by using one of my new gadgets, a Phillips Air Fryer, to make a crispy black-eyed pea snack that would fit in at a New Year’s Eve party or in front of a New Year’s Day football game.
I’ve been having fun playing with my air fryer–I even created a group on Facebook for all of us FatFree Vegan Air Fryers. But don’t feel left out if you don’t have one. Simply roast the black-eyed peas in a preheated oven on a parchment-lined baking sheet. See the notes at the end of the recipe for suggested time and temperature.
Crispy Air Fried Black-Eyed Peas
- 1 15- ounce can black-eyed peas (or 1 2/3 cups firmly cooked not mushy)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked salt
- Using a colander or strainer, drain the liquid from the black-eyed peas. Gently rinse them off under running water and let them drain for a few minutes. Spread them out on a plate and discard any smashed or mushy peas. (If there are too many mushy peas, try this recipe using a different brand and use these peas for something else.)
- Mix up the seasoning ingredients and sprinkle as much as you like over the peas, gently stirring the peas to make sure all are coated. (I used all the seasoning, and the peas come out moderately spicy to my taste.)
- Preheat your air fryer to 350-360 F. Put the peas in the basket and air fry for 5 minutes. Remove the basket and shake or stir to redistribute the peas. Air fry for another 5 minutes or until peas are crunchy on the outside and slightly tender on the inside. Allow to cool and serve immediately. Note: these get soft quickly, so try to serve them as close as possible to air-frying or reheat for a minute or two in the air fryer or oven just before serving.
Nutritional info is approximate.
I wish you all a happy, healthy 2017!