When you think of romantic Valentine’s Day meals, the words “low-fat” and “vegan” probably don’t spring right to mind. But they might after you try this luscious dessert, designed to feed your romantic spirit without wrecking your diet. The perfect follow-up to a candle-lit dinner, this cobbler contains 4 different fresh fruits–and heart-healthy oats as well.
Fruit Medley Cobbler
I adapted this from a recipe in the Café Chimes Cookbook, a book so little known that, until recently, Amazon had the author’s name spelled wrong! But it has some great ideas and recipes, so maybe its popularity will grow.
- 1 cup blackberries or blueberries
- 2 apples, sliced
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 medium banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup whole wheat or gluten-free flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Mix the fruits together with the maple syrup and vanilla and spread evenly in an oiled 8×8-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Combine the applesauce and sugar; then add the flour, oats, and spices. Mix well, and spread the mixture gently over the fruit. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s) | Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6
This dessert has 258 Calories, 4 grams of fat, and 6 grams of fiber. You can cut the calories even further by eliminating the walnuts or raisins, but why? It’s Valentine’s Day–and walnuts are good for you!
In the mood for something more decadent? Stay tuned for Valentine’s Dessert #2. Here’s a hint: Nothing says love like chocolate!