Valentine’s Dessert #2: Fatfree and Fabulous Fudgy Brownies

by on February 13, 2006

You’ve been so virtuous and faithful. Sure, your eyes have wandered and you’ve had a few impure thoughts, but you made a commitment and plan to stick to it. Yet, there’s only so much temptation a person can take . . . .

Well, give in to the temptation and stay true–to your healthy diet! This Valentine’s Day, indulge your craving for chocolate without straying from your commitment to a low-fat, vegan way of eating. You will be amazed at how moist, rich, and delicious a low-fat brownie can be.

Sinfully Good Low-fat Brownie

1 Chandra October 6, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I was wondering if it really makes a difference if you use a metal pan rather than a glass one?

2 SusanV October 6, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Chandra, they will cook more quickly in a metal pan. Just check them early and often and take them out when they're done.

3 Astrid October 24, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I wanted to say that these brownies are the best vegan brownies in this planet! They are so delicious and moist and.. everything. Instead of maple syrup I used agave (same amount). Thanks for this simple, yet amazing recipe! Now I have one good vegan recipe that I can easily share with non-vegan friends :)

4 Anonymous October 29, 2009 at 9:13 am

Hi Susan, I tried the brownies and they came out rubbery, kind of spongie. Any ideas as to why? I'd love to try them again.

5 Chloe Hait November 7, 2009 at 11:40 am

These look fabulous. I am wondering if there is a good, vegan substitute for the tofu besides (or in addition to) applesauce.

6 SusanV November 7, 2009 at 11:46 am

Chloe, I haven't tried making them with anything but the tofu, so I can't promise how they would come out with apple sauce or something else. If you're willing to experiment, I would love for you to leave another comment telling how they come out.

7 Shannan January 3, 2010 at 1:04 am

This blog is fantastic! I have just recently become a vegan and I like to stay fit and healthy so I really appreciate low fat vegan recipes! Especially because I'm a chocolate fanatic! I made these brownies the day after I saw the recipe and they turned out perfect. My mum's friend (who is not vegan or vegetarian) turned up and had one and said they were delicious too. You're the best!

8 Tanya January 5, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I've been staring at these on my computer screen for a couple of days now….they look amazing! Are the flax seeds to make up for the lack of egg? Can I use EnerG egg replacer instead? They have less fat than flax seeds…..wondering how much then?

9 Joseph September 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm

1 T. cornstarch plus 3 T. water also substitutes for one egg in baking according to the back of a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free choc. chip cookie mix

10 SusanV January 5, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Tanya, I haven't made them with EnerG, but you could try substituting the equivalent of one EnerG egg for the flax and hot water. Though, to tell you the truth, the amount of fat from the flax seed (2 1/2 grams) would be negligible spread out over 12 brownies. Even with it, they have only 1 gram of fat.

11 onlyme January 26, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Oh my word, these are fudge-tastic! The texture is fabulous and the recipe cooked up perfectly for me. I used a metal tin and they were done in 25 mins.

My only criticism is that despite all the maple syrup and sugar, they still weren't sweet enough for my taste, so next time I'll see what happens if I had an extra 1/4 cup sugar.

12 onlyme January 27, 2010 at 5:31 am

Oh, and for UK folk – 1 1/2 cups crumbled silken tofu is about half a 349g packet, so roughly 175g.

13 Anonymous February 15, 2010 at 2:31 am

i dont have pure maple syrup right now, but i do have "aunt jemima light syrup"
would using this affect the recipe at all?

also- does 1/2 tbsp flax replace one egg?

14 SusanV February 15, 2010 at 7:06 am

I haven't tried it with light syrup, but I think it would probably work. Yes, the flax replaces one egg.

15 Anonymous April 3, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Your blog is a real inspiration. Interesting brownie recipe, good to find this recipe. What substitutes for the fat ( butter/oil) in this. Tofu??

16 SusanV April 3, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Thanks! Yes the tofu substitutes for both the fat and the egg in this recipe.

17 jennifer May 2, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Love the idea of a fat-free, gluten-free, dairy-free brownie. However, is there any way, do you think, to make them soy/tofu free for those of us with soy allergies? Thanks!

18 SusanV May 2, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Jennifer, you could try using cooked white beans instead of the tofu. I haven’t tried it, but other people have said it works.

19 Jennifer August 13, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Thank you, Susan!

20 Joseph September 17, 2011 at 6:11 pm

http://happyherbivore.com/2009/05/vegan-blackbean-brownies/ – this is a recipe for black bean brownies…not fat free but very low in fat (only 1 gram per serving)…and I hate to say it to you Susan since you put in all this work crafting what I’m sure is a wonderful brownie recipe but these brownies look even fudgier than yours….the picture of a batch of them on the website almost looks like candy-shop fudge….these brownies take no flour either….which is a plus if you’re running low on flour

21 Sharon Herbitter May 27, 2012 at 11:27 am

I made these black-bean brownies and threw them away. Sure, they looked good. Taste? Not so much.

22 Heather Landon May 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Me, too, Sharon. I LOOOOOVE almost all of HH’s recipes but this one just fell way, way, way flat. I have higher standards when it comes to sweets. The black bean brownies were just awful :(

23 Marsha January 8, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I just made these too and though they looked delicious, the taste was not. I think I can make them work by mixing them in vegan icecream, but even my baby wouldn’t eat these and he love everything!

24 Lilly May 2, 2010 at 11:40 pm

I am new to program and I copied a couple of recipes that I want to try. I love sweets and want something I can eat . I am starting the chip program so am not sure about the sugar so will use substitute plus I need to get other supplies before I can begin this adventure. Will let you know how it comes out. Thank you. Blessings

25 Kris July 2, 2010 at 7:02 am

I am new to this site. My husband has recently come on board regarding a vegan diet so I was looking for some new recipes to “WOW”him with. I made these the other night. Wonderful texture and taste! I made half with walnuts and the other half without (for the kids) and decreased the sugar by a quarter cup. VERY GOOD!!! Thank you so much for your blog and including the nutritional values. I so appreciate that!
Keep up the great work!

26 Mary July 6, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I found this website by mistake one day and am very glad I did!! I was looking for a healthy vegan brownie recipe and this one is definitely a keeper. Today I baked these brownies and they came out wonderful. I was wondering if they freeze well?

Thanks for the great recipe!!

27 Lorri August 12, 2010 at 2:44 pm

I just made your FF Fudgy Brownies…divine by themselves…and even better when I covered them in your chocolate peppermint pudding and sugar free whipped cream. I will seriously never, ever buy pudding again…So simple, so healthy…why haven’t I thought of this? Thank you for your fabulous blog…I just voted for you on the VegNews site….good luck!

28 May-Z October 10, 2010 at 12:46 am

I made these last night, Pretty good! Im going to add craisins next time so they have little bits of chewy goodness! Love your blog! x May-Z

29 Bert January 23, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I made these last weekend and made my second batch last night…they are so freaking delicious. I added 2 teaspoons of granulated (instant) coffee to make mocha fudge brownies and they were awesome!!! Susan I may have to sue you for making me fat on these brownies…lol. Thank you so much!

-Bert

30 Brooka February 9, 2011 at 12:44 am

Your recipes have always blown me away in how good they taste and how healthy they are at the same time. But I have to say… I’m a bit disappointed with this recipe. It has the potential to be really great though. I like the texture. Needs more chocolate flavor, and I’ll leave out the cinnamon next time. Maybe I’ll add a little bit of coffee or a bit more cocoa powder? I’m going to experiment.

31 Amira March 4, 2011 at 8:59 am

I’m kinda confused. Should I use silken or firm tofu????

32 SusanV March 4, 2011 at 9:17 am
33 Amira March 4, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Thank you so much Susan. I’ll definitely give your wonderful recipe a try soon. Let’s cross our finger and hope i won’t screw it up ;DDD

34 Megan March 29, 2011 at 9:53 am

Yum! I made these last night for a “moms’ night out.” I wanted them to be chocolatey and decadent, so I withheld a bit of the tofu and added two ounces of melted semi-sweet Baker’s chocolate. We definitely enjoyed them, and they went very nicely with a glass of red wine!

35 Christie April 20, 2011 at 6:48 pm

Hi Susan!
I LOVE your site! I am a new vegan (4 months or so), and I am learning that many (many) sites and books do not really feature what I consider healthy vegan recipes! I am new to baking anything vegan, but have dreams of doing ONLY that when I make treats for my family. When this recipe calls for tofu, would I need to press it? I have learned this step is quite often required with tofu, whether or not they tell you to. And I know you told another reader to use ‘silken’ tofu – is all tofu silken or no?? Thanks!!

36 SusanV April 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Christie! Silken tofu is a special kind of tofu, used mostly for desserts and creamy sauces (but also in things like miso soup). You will find it on the shelf, not in the refrigerator section. This is what the package looks like: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQYA8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=fatfreevegank-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399349&creativeASIN=B0007KQYA8

Silken tofu never needs to be pressed. If you tried, it would totally fall apart. It’s got a soft, gelled texture that works well in blended desserts such as chocolate mousse pies and puddings.

37 Kathleen April 24, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I noticed one of the readers mentioned substituting applesauce for the silken tofu…I tried this, as it was what I had on hand, and wouldn’t recommend. It gave the brownies a weird texture. I am sure they would be delicious though with the silken tofu, so I will have do that next time!

38 Connie Fletcher May 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Help!! there was a recipe for brownies that was made from a can of black beans, a couple of bananas, cocoa powder, some cinnamon, and I can’t remember what else, but I can’t find the recipe….can you help?

39 SusanV May 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm

That’s not one of mine, but it sounds like this recipe:

Good luck with it!

40 sarah June 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

these sound great!
is there a way to not use the cane sugar or as much maple? I am trying to cut out processed sugars but need a sweet treat now and then!

41 Christie June 29, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Hi!
I made these brownies recently and they were great, but I had 2 questions: the batter was very very pasty; you said ‘pour’ it into the pan – I would have needed a trowel? So I blended up a can of black beans and added it?? Also, I try not to use white flour, will they come out ok with any other sub. like oat flour? Thank you!!

42 NicholeCooley January 2, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I am making these now and very hopeful for the out come. Im not a huge fan of tofu and realized I needed it half way through mixing so I used 3/4 of mashed banana instead. Im going to lure my family into trying them when they are finished and will let everyone know the consensus.

43 NicholeCooley January 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm

So the first bite my husband, 16 yo step son and I werent sure but we warmed up after the second bite. My 9 yo step daughter wasnt having it and mt 2 1/2 yo actually cried. Not sure what that was about. We made them with banana instead of tofu and the center was moist. So I dunno. Im going to try them again tomorrow. Ive got nine left. Hopefully they keep pretty well. I think Im eating them all by myself from here on out.

44 Theresa July 30, 2012 at 5:30 pm

How do I make these gluten free? And do they still turn out as good?

45 Regina August 6, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I just put my first batch in the oven!! I’m sooo excited to try them!! I love your website and look forward to trying many more recipes!!!

46 Mary Massa October 1, 2012 at 8:21 pm

I don’t use white flour. Is it possible to use all wheat flour?

47 Susan Voisin October 1, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Yes. If you have whole wheat pastry flour, it would work best.

48 Regina October 17, 2012 at 7:08 pm

My brownies are rubbery, what did I do wrong?

49 Susan Voisin February 11, 2014 at 9:42 am

Try not to over-stir the batter. That can make fat-free baked goods rubbery.

50 Rhonda December 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

I tried these today — they’re yummy! I made them sugar-free (sugar makes my heart race). They’re quite fudgy and they don’t have a weird soy taste. I have to say that I really enjoy trying your recipes because they’ve obviously been tested. I’ve never had any weird results, and I’ve really enjoyed the recipes I’ve tried so far. I liked the cheeze sauce from the mac and cheeze recipe, and I also like the beet brownies. Thank you for all of your hard work — it’s so hard to find vegan recipes that are lowfat AND delicious!

51 Marion February 1, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Hi Susan, I’ve been making your recipes for a few months now and it’s always been a hit. I’ve never left a comment before (I’m just a shy vegan Frenchie ;o) but today I HAD too! The reason : I made these brownies and I was just speechless, they are sooooooooo good and I simply had to read the ingredients list again to make sure there wasn’t a pinch of fat in the recipe! Just unbelievable… A question though : how long can you keep it in the fridge? I froze the leftovers after 3 days (I live by myself so I didn’t finish the dish even if I so wanted too!). Thanks in advance!

52 Susanti April 22, 2013 at 10:50 pm

I just made this and they are fantastic! My new favorite vegan brownie recipe. Thanks for all the great recipes.

53 Miri August 1, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I made these today. Unfortunately they came out heavy , gummy like . I was hoping for a crumbly brownies that melt in your mouth. These were so heavy and thick that I felt a brick in my stomach for hours……Don ‘t know if it was the tofu or the flax….I will try a modification next time using almond meal and no tofu .

54 Melissa February 14, 2014 at 9:43 am

Just made these and they are by far the best vegan brownie recipe I’ve tried. The ones that call for black beans tend to still have a hint of the taste of black beans…not appetizing. I made these gluten free by substituting GF flour wherever it called for flour, same ratios, worked great. Also, I didn’t have flax meal on hand but I did have chia seed, so I just subbed that (still dissolved in the hot water first). The only thing I may do different next time is use less sugar- they were a little sweet for my tastes (but probably perfect for my non-vegan or plant based friends/family). Thanks Susan for the recipe- you made this very preggo mama quite happy! :)