Pineapple Coffee Cake

by on July 31, 2006

“This recipe was tested on animals.”

That was my daughter’s way of admitting that she had been feeding the cat pieces of cake under the table. I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my own cake. E. has picked up enough from me to know that I think animal testing is a bad thing, so she assured me that the cat liked the cake and therefore wasn’t hurt by the testing.

We were celebrating my husband’s birthday with pineapple coffee cake and Equal Exchange French Vanilla coffee (E. had chocolate soymilk). I consider myself a lucky woman to have a husband who not only is kind, loving, and smart as hell but also has a relatively small sweet tooth and doesn’t mind having a birthday cake that’s just as good for him as it is good. Not only is this cake completely free of added fats, it also uses only whole wheat and oat flour–no white flour at all–and contains very little sugar. It’s a dense cake without being heavy, and the sprinkling of sugar on top gives it a sweet crunch. I strongly recommend using a coarse sugar such as demerara or raw sugar for the topping–it keeps its shape during baking and provides that crunch.

Pineapple Coffee Cake

Current day month ye@r *

1 Kristen August 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I made this recipe last night and it was delicious!! I only wish I could find a way to work more pineapple in….

2 Kristen August 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm

3 Gourmet Coffee Lover September 8, 2009 at 5:15 am

I love the this fat free recipe and I am seriously going to give this a try. I especially like the fact that no eggs are required which helps the cholesterol.

Maria

4 Fair Trade Coffee October 4, 2009 at 5:54 am

Very happy to see this recipe. My husband also appreciates healthy treats. Last year his birthday cake was really just a great big wholesome muffin, which he adored.

5 Gwen February 9, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Tried this 2 times last week. 1st time I did the recipe as written and it was delicious!

2nd time I used white whole wheat flour and made 24 mini-muffins…. I think I like them as muffins better. The only thing tho, is that after the first day, the exterior of the muffin gets kinda sticky b/c of the fat free-ness… so the cake works better if you don't want sticky fingers all week. I'm thinking about making the mini-muffins for my friend's bridal shower brunch tho, cuz I'll make them that morning when they'll still be fresh, warm, and unsticky!

Thanks for this post! I got some of the post-punk kitchen cupcake/cookie cookbooks for christmas and gained a few pounds trying them out! So I'm so thankful I have your recipes to count on when I need fat free deliciousness.

6 nicole May 14, 2010 at 9:43 am

I’ve made LOTS of your wonderful recipes, but this one I felt especially inclined to comment on because it turned out AMAZING! It’s by far my favorite dessert of yours that I’ve made. It was super easy to put together (which is always a plus), and it was incredibly moist and full of flavor. I love the sugar and cinnamon topping as well, it definitely gave the cake a nice “crunch” that topped off such a delicious cake. My boyfriend has already requested I make this again soon and we have yet to finish this first cake! (So he’s just as big of a fan as I of this tasty treat) :)

7 Caitlin August 11, 2010 at 7:13 am

What a wonderful sounding recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

Do you think it would be possible to adjust it somehow to use fresh pineapple? I have a ton on hand…

8 SusanV August 11, 2010 at 8:34 am

I think you could probably take chunks of pineapple and “crush” them in a food processor. You’ll also need to add some pineapple (or other fruit) juice to them to get them to the same juiciness as canned. It may take some experimentation to get the liquid level just right, but I think it would taste great if you do.

9 Annika August 11, 2010 at 9:25 am

What a lovely sounding recipe! You inspired me to go to the store and get pinapple right away. Just one question, what would you suggest as a egg replacer if Ener-G wasn’t available? I have silken tofu and ground flaxseeds, do you think either of those would work ok? Did you use the equivalent of one egg or more?

10 SusanV August 11, 2010 at 9:43 am

I would substitute 1 1/4 teaspoons of cornstarch, potato starch, or tapioca plus 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder. If you don’t have those, then I would probably go with 1 teaspoon of ground flaxseeds, though I can’t promise that the results will be as good.

11 Stephanie August 11, 2010 at 11:04 am

i love pineapple so i was excited to try out this recipe. it came out a bit dense.
changes:
used cornstarch egg instead of egg replacer

12 Annika August 13, 2010 at 8:57 am

I made this yesterday and even though I used flax seeds instead Ener-G egg replacer AND I forgot baking soda it was still delicious! Such a nice flavour combination, I haven’t used pinapple in anything for ages, but now I remembered how good it is again. Thank you Susan!

13 meredith murphy August 16, 2010 at 7:11 am

This was great!!!!!! My whole family loved it, including my toddler! Definitely will make it again.

14 becca September 10, 2010 at 9:41 pm

This looks like great recipe! but I don’t have any way to grind the oats!
What can I do instead??

15 SusanV September 10, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Becca, you can substitute oat flour or any other kind of flour for the ground oats and it should come out okay. You may need to add a little water if it’s too thick.

16 Toni January 16, 2011 at 6:41 am

Hi Susan, I just love your recipes they are very good and thank you so much for sharing them! I make them for my 86 yr old Mom, she loves them and they help to keep her weight down. Looking forward to those in the future!
Thanks again,
Toni

17 nrsrchd February 28, 2011 at 12:15 pm

When I made this my husband loved it so much I made another one the next day. This time I added unsweetened shredded coconut and we ate that one that day. I made another one the next day as well since my husband has a sweet tooth as we are trying to find healthier sweets for him. Well needless to say by the time we had eaten 3 of these in 4 days, we realized that was plenty of fiber. My husband has a word for when he eats a whole box of shredded wheat and 1/2 gallon of milk, dietaryfibrosis. So a word of caution since it is so good, limit them to 2 a week.

18 MIA March 3, 2011 at 11:55 am

I’ve made this a few times now, as cake and as muffins. I have started adding shredded coconut to mine, but otherwise make as is & it turns out really delicious.

19 ani May 15, 2011 at 9:36 am

I really want to make this cake, but is it possible to make it without applesauce? Is there anything I can use to replace it?

20 Judy C June 10, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I am trying to eat vegan and sweets are hardest for me. It’s hard to find edible ones.

THANK YOU FOR THIS RECIPE!

I love it…. just tasted it and had to tell you.

Judy

21 Marian Hamilton August 14, 2011 at 10:19 am

Susan, WHAT TO USE instead of the egg replacement? I don’t buy that product… I’m guessing that I would increase the amt. of sugar-free applesauce in the wet ingred. ?? I’d like to make this on Friday 8/19/11 – please advise & THANK YOU!

22 SusanV August 14, 2011 at 10:26 am

Marian, if you have cornstarch, use a teaspoon of it instead of the egg replacer and I think it will be fine. Hope you enjoy it!

23 Marian Hamilton August 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I’ll be making this SOON, Susan – I’ll let you know how YUMBO it truly is! Thanks for the reply – YOU ARE THE BEST!! xxooxx

24 Marian Hamilton August 18, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Susan, I made this coffee cake, using 1 tsp. cornstarch instead of the Egg Replacer & it was DELISH!! I’ve shared it w/2 friends (so far) & everyone has LOVED IT!! thank you SO MUCH for your wonderful recipes!! xxMarian

25 marge August 14, 2011 at 11:06 am

that looks yum! my hubby can’t have pineapeple, but I bet I could sub blueberries or peaches.

26 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 14, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I am wondering if I make this without the sugar if I need to add dates or stevia?? Or is the pineapple already super sweet?

27 SusanV August 14, 2011 at 2:34 pm

If you leave out the sugar, the balance of wet to dry ingredients will change and your cake might be soggy or gummy. You could try increasing the flour by 1/4 a cup and using stevia, but I make no promises about how it’ll turn out! Some people might find the pineapple sweet enough, but most people wouldn’t.

28 Alexandria Lewis September 18, 2011 at 11:55 am

Amazingly scrumptious! Used flax instead of egg replacer and mayhap it would be dense to some it was perfect for me! Thanks again Susan

29 Lavina October 16, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Hi, this recipe looks amazing. I was just wondering if i can use old fashioned rolled oats instead of instant and if i can use regular sugar in the batter instead of demerara. Please advice. I would love to make this asap.

30 SusanV October 16, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Any kind of sugar will work, and I’ve tried it with all oats EXCEPT instant, so old fashioned will be fine. Hope you enjoy it!

31 Lavina October 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thanks so much for your quick response.. Hope to make it for some guests for breakfast tomorrow. Will let you know how it turns out

32 Lavina October 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm

So i made the cake with the old fashioned oats and regular sugar in the batter but raw for the topping. Doubled the recipe for breakfast to serve 8 people. By the time breakfast was over, 3/4th’s of it was gone. I think it was a HIT. I personally loved the cake. It was moist, filling, not too sweet, and loved the texture.
Thanks a bunch.

33 Elizabeth December 6, 2011 at 12:29 pm

This looks fantastic! I’m going taking this to a party with someone with pineapple allergies though. Could I substitute pureed pumpkin instead, I have left-overs from Thanksgiving?

34 Susan Voisin December 6, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Pumpkin is so different that I don’t think it would work. Have you considered making a pumpkin bread instead: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/12/pumpkin-spice-bread.html

35 Marian Hamilton December 7, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Made this to serve to my sweetie when he gets here later today. I know it will be DELISH!!

36 poppy velosa May 25, 2012 at 9:33 pm

This looks wonderful and I am going to make it in the next few days. Just wondering whether I would use the same amount of orgran egg replacer as ener-g? Thanks!

37 Susan Voisin May 25, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I’m not familiar with that brand. If it’s powdered, then use however much is equivalent to one egg.

38 cj June 8, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Super simple and delicious. I’ll definitely make this again! If I want to fancy it up a bit for a special occasion I’ll top it with some vanilla frosting. Thanks!!

39 Radhika Sarohia August 25, 2012 at 12:07 am

This was good, I made a slightly lower-carb version (by subbing in some soy flour) and I added in some dates, pecans and walnuts
Thanks for the recipe, will be making this again :-)

40 Jessica October 6, 2012 at 8:13 am

I MUST thank you for this! Made it last night for today, but it never saw the break of day! My husband said “Good job Susan!” On my way to make a second one now. I also love that it’s mostly kitchen staples and very little work ;)

41 Magda January 9, 2013 at 4:46 pm

This recipe looks fabulous and I`d love to try it. I have one question though, it`s called coffee cake but coffee isn`t listed as an ingredient. Have I missed something?

42 Susan Voisin January 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Coffee cake is just the name of a cake that’s traditionally served with coffee. There’s no coffee in it.

43 Tans July 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Hi, I love the sound of this cake and will give it a go. I am wondering about the Energy egg replacer ingredient, as I havent come across this before, dont know where to get it from and what the alternative would be. Can you help please. I live in New Zealand.
Thank you!

44 Susan Voisin July 27, 2013 at 5:32 pm

45 ZenJen July 29, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I can’t wait to make this for my company coming this week! It looks super yummy!

46 Danielle October 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This sounds great! However, where is the “coffee” part in the ingredients?

47 Susan Voisin October 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm

48 Marivi May 12, 2014 at 6:12 pm

May I use fresh pineapple instead of canned?

49 Miri July 16, 2014 at 4:36 pm

I used stevia, i sub enerG with ground flaxseed and water. I used almond flour and gluten free flour mix , i used fresh pineapple and papaya and pineapple and mango the second time . I made mini loaves and they were all gone in no time ! So much fun to experiment when the result is so yummy!