Cherry-Chocolate Mousse Pie

by on April 16, 2008

Vegan Cherry-Chocolate Mousse PieE had a wonderful birthday yesterday and appreciated all of your comments. She spent the afternoon playing with her new basketball goal, the present that she asked for and got early because it took D and me two weekends to put it together. After eating the dinner she requested (Mac and Cheese), she opened her other presents and ate a slice of her birthday pie.

Why pie? Well, I guess we’re just non-traditional like that. E will have a cake at her official birthday party, but just for the family, I wanted something simple and easy to throw together on a week night. I really hadn’t planned to post the recipe here, but after so many people wrote to ask about it, here goes:

The basic pie, which definitely fits into the Ridiculously Easy category, is impossible to mess up; I’ve thrown everything from almonds to oranges to peanut butter in it, and it always comes out delicious. It’s a variation on the chocolate mousse that every vegan knows, the first vegan dessert that many of us learned, the one that’s printed on the back of your Card Carrying Vegan Card. (Just kidding–I think it’s the wacky cake recipe on the card.) This time, I had some dried cherries that I wanted to use, and I have to say, I think I like this variation best of all. It reminded me, in a good way, of the chocolate cordial cherries my parents used to buy every Christmas.

Warning: This recipe is nowhere close to fat-free. Though I’ve heard of people making a lower-fat version by using cocoa powder instead of chocolate chips, I’ve never been brave enough to try. My philosophy is that certain occasions, such as your only child’s birthday, call for real chocolate chips.
Vegan Cherry-Chocolate Mousse Pie

Cherry-Chocolate Mousse Pie
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 8
  • 1/2 cup dried cherries
  • 1 12-ounce box light silken tofu (or extra-firm silken tofu)
  • 2 tablespoons agave nectar (more if you want it sweeter)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 prepared Graham cracker crust
  1. Cover the dried cherries with 1/2 cup of boiling water and soak them until soft. Drain (and reserve) the water, and put the cherries into the food processor. Pulse to chop. Drain the tofu and add it to the food processor along with the agave nectar and vanilla. Process until smooth.
  2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Pour it into the food processor and puree, scraping down the sides as needed to make sure it’s well blended. Pour into a prepared crust and chill for several hours.
If you’d like to make it without the crust, here’s the info for a crustless version: 231 Calories (kcal); 11g Total Fat; (38% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 35g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 40mg Sodium; 3g Fiber. Weight Watchers: 5 Flex Points.

Serving Suggestion: Take the reserved cherry-soaking water, add some sugar, and simmer it on the stove until it’s reduced to a syrup. Drizzle over pie just before serving. (Here’s a sneaky photographer’s secret: I added some grenadine to the cherry syrup to brighten the color.)
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 1/8 of pie Calories: 341 Fat: 11g Carbohydrates: 35g Sodium: 155mg Fiber: 3g Protein: 4g

(See, I told you it wasn’t fat-free!)

Rich chocolate flavor sparked with cherry. Perfect for holidays or for anytime you need a special yet easy dessert!

1 Clean Teen Kelsey March 24, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I know you said any kind of cherries would work, but do you think that would include frozen cherries? I have a whole bunch and would love to use them in the mousse for my birthday on Friday.

2 SusanV May 15, 2010 at 7:27 am

I think frozen will work fine.

3 Mary May 14, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Can you use other fruit if you don’t have cherries (like blue berries etc)?

4 SusanV May 15, 2010 at 7:27 am

Sure, use any fruit you think will go well with chocolate.

5 sandrajayne December 17, 2010 at 8:43 am

OMG that looks good. I was going to make the lemon pie today. Now I’m torn. Do you think this would work with the oatmeal crust for the lemon pie? (I need gluten free.)

6 SusanV December 17, 2010 at 8:45 am

Yes, the oatmeal crust works great for this recipe as well as the lemon pie. I hope you enjoy whichever one you make!

7 AmyLu December 20, 2010 at 2:31 pm

In case anyone is interested, I experimented with doing this without the chocolate chips and got a couple of recipes out of the experimentation. The mousse is not overly sweet; the pudding version is very sweet. Thanks, Susan, for inspiring… these ideas!

Slenderized Mousse

1 12-oz. box firm Silken Tofu
…1/2 cup dried cherries
4 medjool dates, pitted
1 TBSP date sugar
1/4 c. organic unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. soymilk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Soak dried cherries in 1/2 cup boiling water until soft. Process cherries and dates in food processor until smooth. Add other ingredients and process until smooth. Put into small serving dishes and refrigerate 2 hours. Garnish with fresh cherries (not maraschino) if desired.

Note: Next time I will probably use 6 dates and no date sugar, and will probably soak the dates in boiling water for 20 minutes first, just to get them to blend even more smoothly.

Chocolate Cherry Pudding

1 12-oz. box firm Silken Tofu
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup water
4 medjool dates, pitted
3 TBSP date sugar
1/4 c. organic unsweetened cocoa powder
5 TBSP + 2 tsp. soymilk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
5 fresh cherries, pitted
1/2 c. water leftover from soaking the dried cherries

Soak dried cherries in 1/2 cup boiling water until soft. Drain and reserve the water. Process cherries and dates in food processor until smooth. Add other ingredients and process until smooth. Put into small serving dishes and refrigerate 2 hours. Garnish with fresh cherries if desired. (This would also make a great dip for fresh fruit.)

8 Ali December 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I made this for my family for Christmas. It was the best dessert we have ever had! I used frozen tart cherries, because it was all I had, and it turned out just like the picture. Super rich and creamy, but slightly tangy from the fruit. You’re recipe is amazing! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

9 Vera January 8, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I will love to try this. But I have few questions:
What can I use instead of tofu and agave nectar?
And what is the size of the crust?
Thx in advance!

10 SusanV January 8, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Vera, you can use any other sugar or syrup instead of the agave nectar, but I can’t think of anything that would adequately replace the tofu. The pie crust is an 8-inch crust.

11 Baxley January 26, 2011 at 11:19 am

I made this recipe, using dried apricots instead of cherries. It came out quite tart, and had a really unique flavor. I enjoyed it, crustless, and so did my friends. Thanks for the versatile recipe!

12 Imy April 28, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Tried cc mouse pie this weekend. Amazing. I can never find vegan graham crackers, so I found a chocolate cookie/cracker that I used for the crust instead. I think next time I will omit half of the agave, it was a bit sweet for most of my friends that tried it. I tripled the recipe (large crowd) and it made way more than I needed, but I am sure enjoying the leftovers.

13 Kaytee June 27, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I love this recipe!! I’ve made one before like it with peanut butter (which is one of my favorite combinations), but I have to say, I may like this cherry version even better! Also, since I am gluten-free, I used a prepared frozen gluten free crust that I baked for 10 minutes before putting the mousse mixture in. It came out perfectly!

For the simple syrup recipe, how much sugar did you use?

14 AussieAmanda July 18, 2011 at 5:37 am

This looks LOVELY! I’m not a big fan of cherries, but I have some raspberries in the freezer that I think will be perfect!

I’ll let you know how I go! 😀

15 AussieAmanda July 22, 2011 at 6:48 am

OMG Vegan chocolate mousse is the BEST! If I hadn’t of already gone to the effort of making a crust I would’ve just eaten the mousse then and there!

As I said I’m not much of a cherry fan, but I made mine with a little dash of Cointreau (for adults only my mousse!) and the zest of an orange.

Now I can’t wait fot it to set in the fridge 🙂

16 Noelle {Baby in Broad} July 18, 2011 at 9:56 am

I’ve made this twice now—once with a chocolate cookie crust, and once with a regular baked pie crust—and it is beyond delicious! It has become my go-to “I need a fancy dessert to share” recipe. Everyone loves it!

17 Kait's Inside Dish December 23, 2011 at 11:33 am

Yum this looks so delicious, perfect for a holiday get together!

18 Nancy December 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I made this tonight and it is delicious!! Thank you for posting. Any idea if it can be frozen? I know that firm tofu changes texture when frozen, but I don’t know much about silken tofu.

19 Susan Voisin December 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I haven’t tried freezing it but I think it will be okay. I think you could probably even eat it slightly frozen as an icebox pie.

20 Nancy December 28, 2011 at 9:30 pm

Thanks Susan! As there were only 2 of us, I froze the leftovers and it is just as good frozen! It is like an ice cream pie! I will definitely be making this again. I love your blog – your recipes are always great.

21 Christina February 26, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Hi Susan! I want to make this using my vitamix …..will that affect the texture at all? Thanks!

22 Susan Voisin February 26, 2012 at 3:10 pm

It shouldn’t affect the texture, but you probably won’t need to use the highest speed. The only thing more difficult about using the Vitamix will be getting it out. 🙂

23 Christina February 26, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Oh yea! I forgot about that! Thanks for the reminder 🙂

24 Stephen March 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm

You mentioned reserving the water from the cherries, but I didn’t see anything mentioning what to do with it. Did I miss something? Thanks!

25 Stephen March 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Oops! I just noticed your directions for the reserved cherry water. Thanks and sorry!

26 norman hargreaves August 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm

similar to alton brown mooless chocolate pie, we modified it by using 7oz nutella. nutella isnt the most healthy thing around but it’s better than chocolate chips, even adds something nice to the overall taste. as far as vegan, prepared crust’s usually contain milk products, as does nutella and chocolate chips.

27 Lori December 28, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I made this for Christmas Eve dinner, and it was SO good! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe.

28 jean charette February 23, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I have made this twice so far. FREAKIN AMAZING!

29 Pat April 14, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I make a version of this recipe all the time. The filling can be used for a mousse if you don’t want a pie. When I make the pie, I usually make a raspberry sauce with frozen raspberries – then fresh ones on the top are nice too. Also, if you find the filling a little soft, it will be firmer with another 1/2 cup of chocolate chips. Non-vegans will never know it’s vegan unless you tell them! It’s dessert but it’s dessert with protein!

30 nancy sterken April 14, 2013 at 5:41 pm

OMG, i want to dive right in to this! ty for sharing your recipe’s! hope your daughter had a great b’day

31 Kristin February 14, 2014 at 9:49 am

Susan (or anyone who’s tried this recipe that may be reading), do you think Craisins would work for this or would they be too tart?

32 Susan Voisin February 14, 2014 at 9:51 am

Craisins would probably work because they are sweetened. You may have to soak them a little longer, though.

33 Nancy May 12, 2014 at 9:46 pm

When you say 10 ounces of chocolate chips, do you mean 1 1/4 cups, or do you mean 10 ounces when weighed on a scale?

34 Susan Voisin May 13, 2014 at 5:43 am

10 ounces by weight. Sometimes I can find 10-ounce bags of chocolate chips, but often they contain 12 and I weigh them.

35 Nancy May 13, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Thanks. I can’t wait to make it. 🙂

36 Sandi February 14, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Susan, I made this for Valentine’s Day, and it fantastic. For the cherries, I used half dried and half frozen, and for the crust, I used equal parts of almonds and dates with some cinnamon and vanilla mixed in. My only problem is trying not to eat the entire pie myself. Thank you for the recipe!

37 Noreen October 2, 2016 at 3:51 pm

This is 5 star! I made it with a couple little changes to accommodate our families eating, and everyone absolutely loved it. The changes also made it much lower in fat. I used maple syrup for the agave, and instead of chocolate chips, I used 1/3 cup (rounded) of cocoa powder. To balance out the bitterness of the cocoa, I added a pinch of salt, and some liquid stevia (about 16 drops). I used your Fat-Free Oatmeal Cookie Pie Crust (subbing date sugar for the brown and natural sugars). (This pie crust is also a fabulous recipe!) Thanks so much for another great recipe.