Blackberry-Lime Tartlets

by on July 26, 2008

Blackberry-Lime TartletsCan we talk about the weather? I don’t know what it’s like where you are, but here in central Mississippi it’s officially sweltering. I was just out watering the garden and between the heat and the clouds of hungry mosquitoes, I couldn’t get inside fast enough.

In this heat, I don’t really feel like doing a lot of cooking. Though fresh fruits and vegetables are plentiful, I’d rather eat them raw than have to spend much time cooking them over a hot store. So I’ve been making a lot of barely-cooked dishes that are as easy as they are refreshing. Like this one. It’s a light dessert that looks and tastes elegant but is very easy to put together using store-bought phyllo (or fillo) shells and Wildwood soyogurt. (Though I could have made my own phyllo crusts, ready-made shells are a great time-saver.) The yogurt filling, flavored with fresh lime and thickened slightly with agar, goes well with just about any fruit; I just happened to find these big, juicy blackberries irresistible. They combine beautifully with the flakiness of the pastry and the sweet-tart creaminess of the filling.

Blackberry-Lime Tartlets

Blackberry Tarlets

Definitely kid-friendly!

1 Anonymous December 12, 2009 at 3:24 am

Hi!!! blog.fatfreevegan.com is one of the most outstanding innovative websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. Keep it that way.

2 Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Hello!!! blog.fatfreevegan.com is one of the most excellent resourceful websites of its kind. I take advantage of reading it every day. All the best.

3 Anonymous February 11, 2010 at 8:03 pm

I am to a great extent impressed with the article I have just read. I wish the author of blog.fatfreevegan.com can continue to provide so much worthwhile information and unforgettable experience to blog.fatfreevegan.com readers. There is not much to state except the following universal truth: its universally true that there is no universal truth I will be back.

4 Gabrielle April 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I really want to make these, they look absolutely delicious- but I dont eat sugar, and, for the life of me, cannot find agar at my market. How do you think they would turn out if I left those two ingredients out?

5 SusanV April 25, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Tart and runny? You’d probably be better off leaving out the apple juice too because without the agar for thickening, the yogurt mixture will make the shells soggy.

Is there anything you use for sweetening? If so, I would probably use it instead of the apple juice, agar, and sugar so that you have a simple lime-flavored yogurt filling.

P.S. Is there an Asian market near you? I’ve found very inexpensive packets of agar at almost every one I’ve visited.

6 Gabrielle April 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Will do, thanks for the recipe, and the modified recipe.

7 Jill July 29, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I made these for the first time today. What a treat! My husband I loved them. They are light and tasty, and taste like they take a lot of effort, which they don’t. I gave a few to my neighbor, and they looked so pretty on the plate too. I did find that I filled 30 tartlets, rather than 24, and still had plenty of the yogurt mix left. Next time I think I will buy another package of the phyllo. Thanks for another great recipe. Please just post my first name, as I didn’t understand it would be visible on your website.

8 Anke October 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I made these tonight. I mixed the plain yogurt with some mixed berry yogurt. They came out delicious and are super easy.
Is agar powder different from agar flakes? I’ve only seen the flakes and used them here

9 katie m. June 9, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Susan,

Thanks for all the wonderful recipes!
Just wondering about the phyllo dough; doesn’t it have oil in it? Or is there a brand that doesn’t have oil?
Katie

10 Jacqueline August 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm

I have made these several times to the GREAT satisfaction of guests/hosts. I’ve been called to link others to the recipe, and they’re so simple to make. I’m vegetarian, not vegan, so if I can’t find agar powder I substitute half a pack of organic vanilla pudding mix and it works perfectly. I also zest lime over all of the tartlets once they’re finished.

I’ve used store-bought and fresh-juiced apple juice, several types of sugar, and added honey to the recipe. If it’s coming out too runny, again, I suggest using an instant pudding mix if your diet allows for it.

For a photo of the tartlets I made from this recipe, and another of hers, go here: http://rhetoricqueline.wordpress.com/2010/04/11/veganyums/

11 Patti June 3, 2012 at 11:12 am

Thanks for posting. I made these today and they are amazing!
I am wondering if the filling would thicken enough in a larger quantity to make a 9″ pie sized tart?

12 Patti June 4, 2012 at 7:23 pm

So I tried it as a pie. Awesome! I doubled the recipe and it filled a 9″ pie shell nicely. I gave it some time in the freezer to be sure it solidified enough. Perfect on a hot day. Thanks Susan!

13 Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 10, 2013 at 12:13 am