Ridiculously Easy Lentil Soup

by on May 21, 2009

Ridiculously Easy Lentil SoupMay is the month when I generally give up on opening our screened windows and settle into the reality of air conditioning. While not as hot as the sauna that is June or the pressure cooker that is July and August, the end of May usually gives us Mississippians a good taste of the summer heat to come.

But May can surprise us with some rare cool nights and sunny but mild days, which is what was going on this week, the last week of school for my daughter…and of freedom for me. Well, relative freedom. While trying to put as much time as I could into my own projects before I become Chief Chauffeur and All-Around Entertainment Coordinator for the summer, I’ve still needed to find time to make it to all of the end-of-the-year award ceremonies, performances, and gatherings that get crowded into the last days of school.

On one hectic evening this week, I needed a meal on the table in about a half hour, so I decided to take advantage of the blissfully cool weather to make something I probably won’t want to make again for several months: lentil soup. With no time to chop vegetables, I decided to take advantage of one of my dirty little secret ingredients: frozen mirepoix blend vegetables. Mirepoix is simply a blend of chopped onions, carrots, and celery, and nothing could be easier to throw together, but prepping vegetables does take time. So when it goes on sale, I stock my freezer with this packaged mirepoix blend; it makes a great base for sauces, beans, and soups. Often I sauté it until lightly browned, but this time, I just threw it in with the lentils and let it all cook together. I finished the soup off with canned, crushed, fire-roasted tomatoes (which are saucier and take less time to cook than diced) and some hickory salt for a great smoky flavor that made the soup taste like it had cooked for hours.

Ridiculously Easy Lentil Soup

Ridiculously Easy Lentil Soup

If you have more time, consider one of these lentil soup recipes:

1 Manda October 25, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I made this yesterday and it was soooo good. It is definately going into my "make it a million times" pile of recipes. Didn't have any hickory salt so I put some smoked paprika in at the end and I probably put in twice as much garlic as the recipe says but its the kind of recipe you can play with depending on what you have on hand and will still end up fantastic.

2 Heather October 26, 2009 at 12:05 pm

I may have already commented on this, but it's worth commenting again.

This is one of my favorite recipes. It is super-fast and SUPER-delicious!

I added cut-up faux-sausages from another recipe toward the end along with a little liquid smoke-yum!

Perfect comfort food.

3 Sheena October 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm

I just made this today in the crockpot, it is wonderful. I used white wine vinegar instead, didn't have red. I think lemon or lime juice would be nice too. Thank you for your wonderful recipes. I can't wait to try the brownies :)

Sheena in Iowa

4 doglover November 6, 2009 at 7:18 pm

this was the first time I ever cooked or tasted lentils and this will be in my frequent used file
Wonderful !!!!!!

5 RunCrissieRun November 7, 2009 at 2:54 pm

This is very yummy! Even my non-Vegan husband likes it. Your site has been a lifesaver for me, thank you!

6 Nats November 11, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Has anyone tried it with fresh tomatoes? Will roasting the fresh tomatos i have on hand in my cast iron pan give a similar effect as fire roasted tomatoes?

7 Kellie Irwin December 6, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Yes, I mde a similar soup using the bumper crop of tomatoes from my garden. I 1/4ed them and placed them in the pan skin up, and put them under the broiler until the skin began to blister and char, peeled them and added them at the begining of the soup making process. It totally worked!
Alow them to cook down in the soup. Transfer any liquid that remains in the pan to the soup as well. If you aren’t using any canned tomatoes you will need to add some other liquid to make up the difference. I used water. Good luck!

8 Tracy Bergeon November 14, 2009 at 11:37 pm

I made this today for a health expo that we put on. I had to feed our volunteers so I put this in my crock pot last night. It was awesome and everyone loved it. I put everything in the pot last night and put it on high, then this morning I turned it to low to keep warm until we were ready to eat it. I used liquid smoke since I did not know where to get that salt. I also found a frozen mixture of potatoes, carrots, celery and pearl onions so it was so easy. Thank you so much for this recipe.

9 Healthy and Homemade November 17, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Thanks so much for this recipe! I made it for lunch today, and it tasted wonderful. My only concern was the consistency, I thought I had added way too much water or something had gone wrong because it ended up looking like a vegetable soup with a bit of lentils. After it sat in the fridge for a few hours, come time for dinner it was wonderfully thick and rich in color. Looks lovely, not quite as flawless as yours, but still pretty good ;-)

Thanks again for the recipe, and keep em' coming! =)

10 rjconrad December 30, 2009 at 1:40 pm

I'm making this for dinner tonight. I keep snitching bites, it smells so delicious and tastes even better.

11 Anonymous April 7, 2010 at 9:22 am

This is one of my family's fave soups. I add 2 cups chopped kale or spinach for added nutrition. And I love how this soup is super easy!

Thanks!

12 Kelley October 31, 2010 at 8:03 pm

It was perfect for Halloween night. Kelley

13 Chris January 17, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Just made this recipe this eve. Definitely so easy and so good! Thank you for sharing!

14 Dana February 3, 2011 at 8:32 pm

We were short on time and big on appetite tonight and this soup/stew was just the ticket. Thanks for another great idea, Susan. I put half in the fridge for lunches tomorow and added chopped broccoli and a nice splash of Merlot into tonight’s dinner. Deelish.

15 Ted Lee February 4, 2011 at 4:25 am

Made this recipe yesterday. Did not have can lentils and use white northern beans it was delicious. Also had good comments from my family. Thanks for the recipes.

16 Sandi June 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm

It was delicious! I added shiitake mushrooms, and for the broth I used Trader Joe’s Beet and Purple Carrot Juice. For the vinegar, I used balsamic. This is so easy and filling. Thank you, Susan.

17 Lfletche November 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

It was ridiculously easy and wonderfully delicious. I even learned something new: I now know what mirepoix frozen vegetables are! I actually found them in our local store. Very good!

18 Linda May 6, 2013 at 6:51 pm

I was reading some of the other comments and realized I forgot to add the vinegar. Oops! It was delicious!

My husband kept saying “Mmmm, that smells soooo good!” (sadly, he won’t eat it if there’s no meat in it)

19 Sue May 24, 2013 at 10:49 am

Yum! I am not surprised you miss your own cooking! Your recipes are great! I go to your site time and time again!

20 Deb December 6, 2013 at 3:02 pm

ah I am in the middle of making this. Got it all cooking exept the salt and bouillon, but didn’t realize I have to cook it in two parts. Silly me. The lentils may NEVER soften, but I shall carry on and see if they might. Will report back.

21 Susan Voisin December 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Oops, yeah the acid in the tomatoes may keep the lentils from softening quickly, but you never know–maybe you lucked out and have fresher lentils. Hope it doesn’t take very long!

22 Deb December 6, 2013 at 7:05 pm

it worked out just fine.
Does this recipe freeze well?

23 carri919 December 8, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Wow. This is delicious! I only had one cup of green lentils so subbed red for the remainder and it came out fantastic, a little thicker like a stew rather than soup. Also added smoked paprika as another commenter. Now, if I could only get my hubby to try it…