Today’s recipe is brought to you by the letter D… not D for “dressing” but D as in my husband D, who can’t get enough of this dressing. He’s been pouring it on salads and drizzling it on sandwiches ever since I made it for the first time (we’re now on our second batch). I don’t think he realizes how low fat it is because my secret ingredient (chickpeas) magically amplifies the flavor of the tahini, making it taste like it contains much more sesame paste than it really does. In his words, it’s a bold, spicy dressing with a bit of a bite to it, thanks to the lemon juice, raw garlic, and ginger root. It’s manly, yes, but I like it too!
Before I get to the recipe, I wanted to point out a new feature. If you’re used to using the Recipe Index, you may notice a big change. I’ve just updated it so that each category goes to a page with thumbnail photos and short text excerpts to better help you find what you’re looking for. I hope you’ll grow to love the new look, which updates automatically whenever a new recipe is posted. Click here to see what the Salad Dressings category looks like.
- 1/4 cup chickpeas
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 tablespoon gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chia seed or ground flaxseeds
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons ginger-root, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients into blender and process on high speed until thoroughly blended. Refrigerate until well chilled. Dressing will continue to thicken while chilling. Add extra water by the teaspoon if dressing is too thick.