Brown Rice Vegetable Paella

by on January 23, 2014

Brown Rice Vegetable Paella

The first time I had paella, I didn’t know it. I had invited my Venezuelan college roommate home with me over a school holiday because, in those days, the dorms completely closed over breaks, leaving the international students with no place to stay. For some reason, my parents weren’t home, and we were left to fend for ourselves. And we were hungry.

As we scanned the fridge for something suitable to eat, my roommate asked if I had rice. Sure, a Louisiana kitchen always has long-grain white rice. “Let me cook you something from my country,” she said, and set about sauteing onions in olive oil and gathering whatever meat and seafood she could find in the fridge. I went off to do something else, and when she called me in to eat, we sat down to a huge pan of reddish rice, filled with bits of meat and vegetables, similar to our local jambalaya, but different. It was amazing.

I’m sure I asked her what it was called, and she probably told me. But it was only years later, when I was living on my own and getting into cooking for the first time, that I realized what it was: a version of the classic Valencian dish paella.

Brown Rice Vegetable Paella

Since then, I’ve become vegan and dropped olive oil from my diet, so that first paella no longer appeals to me. I’ve experimented with vegetarian versions, most notably my Quinoa Paella, but, as purists are quick to point out, it isn’t really paella if it doesn’t contain rice. In my Fatfree Vegan group recently, someone asked me if I had a real paella recipe, and I had to admit that the only one I know uses white rice instead of brown. (Along with olive oil, I’ve also eliminated white rice from my diet; talk about a purist!)

So I set out to create a true paella using brown rice. I learned from Mark Bittman’s How to Cook Everything Vegetarian that I could substitute brown rice for white in any recipe as long as I parboil it first. That was a revelation and opens up so many possibilities I can’t wait to try. Bittman included his own simple paella recipe, but it involved putting the pan in the oven, something I couldn’t do because of the type of handles on my favorite pan. So I looked at a few other recipes, most notably this one from a cookbook writer in Spain, to get the basic stove top technique and authentic ingredients. And then I winged it, using frozen flat Italian beans as my principal vegetable and frozen butter beans as my legume.

This makes a huge pan of rice and veggies, so it was a good thing my family liked it (even the resident brown rice resister). I used my 13-inch Berndes saute pan, and this recipe practically filled it up. One thing to note is that the size and shape of your pan affects how quickly the paella will cook. My pan is so much bigger than the eye of my stove that the rice at the edges of the pan cooked more slowly than the middle. I’ve included instructions that are flexible so that you’ll know what to do if you find your rice cooking more quickly or slowly than mine.

Superbowl Ideas

Before I get to the recipe, I need your help. For my upcoming newsletter, I’ve been asked for healthy Superbowl ideas. I have a few ideas of my own but could use a few more. If you have any great ideas for healthy game-day snacks or meals, please leave them in the comments below. Thanks!

Enjoy!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Anna@stuffedveggies January 23, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for a lovely post – I have long wanted to make Paella, but haven’t happened upon the perfect recipe -maybe now I can try it! : )

Here’s my recent post of Super Bowl Food ideas

2 Judith gough January 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm

Buffalo cauliflower ! Roast the smaller pieces on Silat at 400 for 15 minutes and then toss with your favorite buffalo sauce like Franks until heated through. Enjoy!

3 Susan Voisin January 23, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Perfect! Thanks for the suggestion!

4 JoAnn Ford January 23, 2014 at 2:11 pm

I already make & bake large meatballs using the recipe for your Nofu Lentil Loaf (that’s not exactly the right name), so for the Super Bowl, I’m going to make them much smaller and insert toothpicks in order to dip them in my really good no-cook pizza sauce (using equal portions of tomato paste & water and lots of Italian spices).

5 Susan Voisin January 23, 2014 at 2:22 pm

What a great idea! Thanks!

6 Heather @Gluten-Free Cat January 23, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I have never made Paella before, and this is the perfect recipe for me to try it! Thank you!

7 Tami@Nutmeg Notebook January 23, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thank you for sharing about par boiling brown rice to use in place of white rice in recipes. That is so helpful! This dish looks to be company worthy. Since I am fairly new to eating a plant based diet I am still struggling with what to fix for company as none of our family or friends eat a plant based diet. Oh that would be a good topic for one of your news letters – recipes to make to impress company who are not vegan,

8 moonwatcher January 23, 2014 at 3:26 pm

This looks great, Susan, and the photos are gorgeous! I like the story about your roommate making you something from her country. And I love the tip about par-boiling brown rice–similar to “frustrating beans”–which makes a lot of sense. I like you quinoa paella, so I’m betting I’ll really like this one too. :)

Thanks so much!!

xoxo

9 Lynn January 23, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Apple nachos are a healthy, fun and easy alternative to the regular nachos. Drizzled with melted nut butter, coconut, chopped pecans, mini chocolate chips…endless possibilities!

10 Marcia January 23, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Gosh, this sounds (and looks) absolutely yummy, thank you! I’ll look up par-boiling online because I don’t know what purpose it serves (perhaps allows the rice cook faster?) – thanks for the tip. I used to really enjoy Paella but haven’t had it for quite a few years and I’ve NEVER made it myself. Time for a spurt of growth!

My only concern is the amount of carbohydrates (57.8). My doctor told me to cut back on them (or take a medication to do it for me and I said no thanks) and I just wondered if you had any suggestions for me. I continue to search for ideas but it seems they are in everything and that doesn’t leave me much (tofu, miracle noodles, and seitan are the lowest items I’ve found so far). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

11 Emilie January 23, 2014 at 9:46 pm

This sounds great! I don’t normally like paella because I’ve never cared for the seafood that it’s usually heavy with, but I can’t wait to try this!

12 Kate January 24, 2014 at 1:13 am

As always, delicious and nutritious!

13 Samantha January 24, 2014 at 5:45 am

No this is my kind of dish! I love brown rice and find myself gravitating towards veggies rather than meat these days. Look forward to making then eating this for dinner next week.

14 Susan Sasek January 24, 2014 at 9:26 am

This was a favorite from Cooking Light that used beef. Once we became plant based eaters I had to modify it. You could also use 1 pound of vegan crumbles in place of the lentils.

Chipotle Sloppy Joes with Simple Slaw
2 1/2 cups presliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 cups cooked green lentils
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
5 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
Slaw (I double it for our family)
1. Heat a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add
onion to pan with a bit of water or veggie broth; cover and cook 8 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove
from heat; set aside.
2. Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; set aside. Remove 1 chipotle chile from can; chop and set aside. Reserve remaining chiles and adobo sauce for another use.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add cooked lentils; cook 4 minutes or until warmed. Add bell pepper to pan; sauté 2
minutes. Stir in chopped chipotle chile, adobo sauce, tomato paste, and next 3 ingredients (through tomato sauce); cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon 1/2 cup lentil mixture over bottom half of each bun, and top evenly with onions and top half of bun.
Plate with pickle chips and a simple slaw.

Slaw
Combine 1/3 cup vegan mayo, 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add 3 cups packaged cabbage-and carrot coleslaw, tossing well to combine.

Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 sandwich)

15 Lisa @ Je suis alimentageuse January 24, 2014 at 11:37 am

THIS LOOKS AMAZING. I love love love paella, but ever since I went vegetarian, let alone vegan, I’ve had a hard time going to latino restaurants because I always get judged so hardcore for not eating meat.

“But, why?” They ask.

I love that you used brown rice, I’m trying to use it more (living in a Viet home, I grew up eating white rice every day). I’m definitely going to try this! (And share it on my blog’s fb page today).
Also, for good superbowl ideas, I have 3 recipes this week for Appetizer Week if you want to check it out (last post out tomorrow), but other ideas for good, healthy foods could be a roasted carrot hummus, black bean dip, salsa… umm roasted fingerlings? Tempeh wings? =P

16 Gwen @simplyhealthyfamily January 24, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I love this veggie version of paella! What a perfect and healthy dinner.

17 Suzanne January 24, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I have soaked my lima beans. Do I have to take the peel off before cooking? Is pressure cooking ok in my instant pot?
thanks

18 Susan Voisin January 26, 2014 at 2:33 pm

There’s no need to peel the lima beans. They should do fine in the pressure cooker, but be careful not to overfill the cooker or the skins could get caught in the valve. If you’re just doing enough for this recipe, they should be fine.

19 Elizabeth January 24, 2014 at 6:21 pm

I’m trying to make this right now but you never specify when to add the butter beans. I’m going to put them in with the italian green beans. Hope this turns out yummy!

20 Susan Voisin January 24, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Sorry about that! I added them with the broth, but since they are already cooked, it doesn’t really matter. Thanks for letting me know so that I can edit the recipe.

21 Anna Schulz January 24, 2014 at 11:34 pm

So thrilled to find your site and yummy looking recipes like these, my doctor just ordered me back onto a post-gallbladder diet again, which can seem very intimidating to a foodie since only 3 grams of fat per meal is allowed. These look amazing and delicious and I can’t wait to start cooking again. Thanks!!!

22 Lorena January 25, 2014 at 12:28 pm

This looks yummy and what a great tip about parboiling brown rice so you can use it like white! Seriously, that’s one of the “hitches” in getting my husband to switch completely over to brown rice.

For Superbowl Sunday, we’ve had everything from pizza and chili, to buffalo cauliflower and healthy jalapeno poppers (slice jalapenos in half lengthwise, deseed/devein, stuff with nonfat refried beans — black or pinto — and bake; then top with a dollop of guacamole and a sprinkling of cilantro). And, of course, chips and dips — hummus and pita bread, guacamole and bean dip — layered and not — with tortilla chips, or potato chips and a creamy tofu-based caramelized onion dip.

23 Alice Phillips January 26, 2014 at 10:08 am

Funny that I happened upon this post and recipe. Just this afternoon my hubby and I decided that our eating habits and lifestyle needs a bit of an overhaul. This is a great recipe to get more veggies and seafood into our diet (we already only eat brown rice, never touch the white ones). Veggies is the one thing that gets a bit mundane to cook so this is a great way to incorporate them more. Love this. Paella makes for a nice change up in our weekly menu. :)

24 Cyn January 26, 2014 at 11:52 am

In the paella, where in the recipe do you add the butter/Lima beans?

25 Susan Voisin January 26, 2014 at 12:19 pm

Step 4, along with the broth.

26 Luke Jones January 31, 2014 at 1:07 pm

This looks really nice! Always looking for new low fat plant based ideas, glad to have stumbled across your site!

27 Laurel Otto February 1, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Can I substitute long grain brown rice? if so would I cook the same way? Thanks, Laurel

Previously submitted with wrong email address

28 Susan Voisin February 1, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Yes, long grain brown rice should cook the same way. It might not take quite as long and will not be as sticky as short grain.

29 carrotstixx February 10, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Just browsing through the recipe…then I spied what I’ve been missing for ages! Parboil the brown rice! Game changer! I’ve been avoiding the substitution of brown for white rice in some recipes because they either end up with raw rice and just right other stuff, or mushy other stuff and cooked rice! THANKS!

30 SallyT February 11, 2014 at 6:08 am

I made this for dinner. While I admit that I added a bit of oil to sauté the onions(my nonstick pan isn’t large enough for this recipe) and added a bit of tofu and a few olives, the technique and other ingredients were as suggested. This was a hit with most of my family. My husband likes a bit more spice but the kids and I said we’d be happy to have this again. It’s easier to add spice than take it out so small adjustments will be made in the future and my husband can add spice as he wishes. Thanks for the recipe.

31 Sheri February 12, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I bought the saffron so can’t wait to try this. The brown rice I buy is parboiled. I buy it in 25 lb bag and share it with all our family members. Do I need to do step #2 then?

32 Susan Voisin February 12, 2014 at 9:13 pm

If it’s already parboiled and its cooking time is about the same as this, it should work. Hope you enjoy it.

33 Amy April 3, 2014 at 9:50 am

Paella purists would say that a rice dish isn’t really paella unless the bottom of the rice becomes crispy and caramelized, called“socarrat.” This is achieved by using a cast iron pan (or a paella pan if you have one!) and by cooking the vegetables first and then not stirring at all after the broth and rice are added. Oil is also essential to the traditional socarrat, I haven’t tried making it oil-free so I’m not sure what would happen without the oil. Bittman’s suggestion to put it in the oven would probably help.

Anyway those are my 2 cents on paella, I like this recipe but if I were going to serve it to a chef or a foodie I’d call it Spanish pilaf instead of paella to stop them from expecting to get a socarrat.