I apologize for not having updated the blog recently. My parents were here for an all-too-brief visit, so I didn’t have much time for blogging. Though I’m sad to see my parents go, I am happy to get the chance to post the recipes I’ve made recently–before I completely forget them!
For Sunday morning breakfast, I made pancakes with a twist–or, rather, a swirl. This is my standard pancake recipe with chopped walnuts added to the batter and a touch of apple-cinnamon swirled onto the top. This recipe serves only 3 very hungry people, so consider doubling or tripling it if you’re feeding a crowd.
Apple-Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cups plant milk soy, almond, or your favorite milk
- 1/2 tablespoon egg replacer powder* mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts optional, but good
Cinnamon-Apple Swirl Batter:
- 2 tablespoons prepared batter above
- 2 tablespoons natural apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add almond (or soy) milk and egg replacer mixture and stir just until flour is moistened. (For thicker pancakes, use only 1 cup milk.) Let the batter rest for 5 minutes while the skillet heats.
- While the batter is resting, combine all of the "swirl" ingredients, using 2 tablespoons of the prepared batter.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or skillet (sprayed lightly with non-stick spray) over medium heat until a drop of water sizzles. Gently stir the walnuts into the batter. Pour batter by scant 1/4 cupfuls onto hot griddle. Immediately drizzle the cinnamon-apple batter over the top of each pancake in a swirl pattern. Cook until tops are bubbly and bubbles burst; edges will look dry. With a pancake turner, turn and cook until undersides are golden. Place on a warm platter; keep warm.
- Repeat until all batter is used, brushing griddle lightly with canola oil, if necessary, to prevent sticking. Serve pancakes with syrup or other topping as desired.
Nutritional info is approximate.