These fat-free vegan spice pancakes are kissed by the sweetness of orange juice and lightly spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.
Thanks to everyone for your notes of concern. After three days without heat and two without any power at all, we finally got our electricity turned on at 8:00 last night–just in time to save our tropical fish, who were not looking so good.
Getting the electrical panel fixed wasn’t a problem, but dealing with the overworked building permit office and the bureaucracy-bound power company was a nightmare. It took a day and a half after everything was fixed to get them to come out and turn the power back on. The whole ordeal is almost enough to make me want to run away to the woods and build my own solar power generator.
Fortunately, in the days leading up to our power outage I was able to get a little cooking done. On Sunday morning, I made these fluffy, lightly spiced pancakes, based on the Basic Pancakes recipe in Bryanna Clark Grogan’s The (Almost) No Fat Cookbook.
Someone recently asked in the comments if there were any fat-free vegan cookbooks, and the answer is a resounding Yes. For years, (Almost) No Fat and another Bryanna book, 20 Minutes to Dinner, were my fat-free bibles. Her recipes have just the right balance of healthiness and deliciousness, something mine can only aspire to. As far as I’m concerned, she will always be the queen of low-fat vegan cooking.
More Vegan Breakfasts
Golden Spice Pancakes make a delicious breakfast, but they’re not your only option for a healthy plant-based breakfast. Here are some of my favorites:
- Vegan Omelette for One
- Blueberry Breakfast Cake
- Sausage-Flavored Breakfast Beans and Grits
- Apple-Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes
- Oatmeal: It’s What’s for Breakfast
Golden Spice Pancakes
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat; ww pastry flour is another good option)
- 1 cup unbleached flour (or additional whole wheat flour, for a more nutritious pancake)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon orange rind freshly grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice
- 1/4 cup golden raisins optional
- Begin heating a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix all the dry ingredients (flours through cloves) and add the rind, juice, and raisins to a well in the center. Mix briefly, just until combined (a few lumps are okay).
- When the skillet is hot, drop the batter by quarter-cupfuls and cook until the tops are beginning to bubble. Turn and cook a couple more minutes until the underside is golden and the inside is cooked. Serve immediately.
Nutritional info is approximate.