Coleslaw with Poppy Seed Dressing

by on May 31, 2006

Coleslaw with Poppyseed Dressing

Yesterday I was in the mood for coleslaw for lunch. I didn’t want to use the herbed dressing I made recently or the more exotic coconut-ginger or sesame orange dressings I’ve used in the past. I didn’t know exactly what I wanted, but I wanted it to be different. Then I remembered a recipe that Bryanna, author of several of my favorite cookbooks, posted a few days ago on her blog, and I thought it’d be perfect. And it was!

I combined shredded cabbage with packaged broccoli slaw; then I whipped up a batch of Low-Fat Poppy Seed Dressing. I followed Bryanna’s recipe as written, with one small change: I used only 2 tablespoons of maple syrup instead of 6. I also used her suggestion to add a little lemon zest. The result was a delicious, creamy dressing that tasted lovely on coleslaw, and I have plenty left-over to use on other salads.

Thanks, Bryanna, for another outstanding recipe!

Tags:

1 Anonymous August 21, 2009 at 6:30 am

I get my broc slaw at TJ's (Trader Joe's) in NYC. I like better than cole slaw but I will try mixing now, thanks.

2 Christine June 29, 2010 at 11:11 am

This may sound silly but I’ve never made cole slaw before. Is is just shredded cabbage with the dressing added. I would love to bring this to a party I’m going to on the 3rd.

3 SusanV June 29, 2010 at 11:24 am

Not silly at all, Christine! You can use any combination of shredded cabbage (red and green) and carrot or you can buy bags of pre-shredded coleslaw mix. It’s also good on broccoli slaw (which is the peeled stalks of broccoli shredded along with carrots and a little red cabbage).

4 Christine June 29, 2010 at 11:28 am

Thanks for the quick response Susan. I’m also going to assume that you blend all of the ingredients for the dressing. Love every recipe you post. You make begin vegan so much fun.

5 SusanV June 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Thanks, Christine! Yes, just throw it all in the blender and blend. Hope you enjoy it!

6 lovely January 12, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I am new at this and your website helped me alot thanks! I was wondering can you eat the leaf that’s from cauliflower and can you juice them?

7 Joe March 26, 2013 at 10:35 am

Where is the recipe for poippy seed cole slaw? Only the picture shows.

8 Susan Voisin March 26, 2013 at 10:45 am

The link to the dressing recipe is in the second paragraph, but here it is again: http://veganfeastkitchen.blogspot.com/2006/05/lowfat-poppyseed-dressing-and-sneak.html

To make the coleslaw, just pour it over packaged coleslaw mix to taste.