Personal Polenta Pizza

by on January 29, 2008

Personal Polenta Pizza
It was Friday night, and I was in the mood for pizza. But I’ve been strong, sticking to my resolution to eat healthier, and I knew I needed something lighter than the standard crust. You may remember that I’ve already used potatoes as a pizza crust; this time I wanted something a little more crust-like yet still gluten-free. I finally settled on polenta.

I’d seen a lot of recipes for polenta pizza that, unfortunately, all seemed to come out more like polenta casserole, but I thought with a little tweaking I could make a polenta crust that would be more like an actual crust–crispy and sturdy enough to eat out of hand. In my version, the polenta is first cooked, then baked, then baked again with the pizza toppings. The crust is sturdy enough to pick up–if you’re careful. (If you’re not, you may wind up with a lap full of pizza toppings!) It still tastes like polenta, so if you’re looking for an authentic-tasting, gluten-free pizza crust, this isn’t it. But it did the trick to quell my pizza cravings; maybe it will have the same effect on yours.

1 miakoda February 24, 2012 at 9:56 pm

this sound yummy. Any thoughts on the best way to freeze the crusts if I want to make them in advance for a meal off in the future? I would also welcome your thoughts on whether they should be totally defrosted before baking with toppings or they can go on the over frozen. thanks!!

2 Susan Voisin February 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I would wrap them and freeze them individually. I think it would be best to defrost them at least partially before baking. I would put them on a baking sheet and let them sit on the counter for about an hour beforehand.

3 miakoda February 24, 2012 at 10:22 pm

wrap them in what?

thanks for responding!!!

4 Susan Voisin February 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Plastic freezer bags or plastic wrap. Freezer bags will be best to prevent freezer burn.

5 miakoda February 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm

thanks so much.

6 Walt Huntsman June 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Could you do this using the polenta rolls you find in the stores? I have a couple of rolls and am looking for diffferent ways to use them, still being new to the world of polenta. Thanks.

7 Rhonda November 2, 2012 at 8:34 pm

But you didn’t mention what temp to cook at? Or am I not seeing it:)

8 Susan Voisin November 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for pointing that out! The first step of the instructions was missing, but I’ve added it now.

9 Annette January 20, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the recipe — I’m currently in the process of making the pizza crusts and I’m really struggling to cook my crusts all the way through. They’ve been in the oven for approx. 40 minutes already.

I don’t have a microwave, so I cooked my cornmeal and water on the stove top. How thick should the consistency be of those polenta mixture? I thought my mix was thick enough, but my crusts aren’t setting up, so I’m wondering if didn’t cook my mixture for long enough, or if 3 cups of water was too much for my polenta.

10 Sara May 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

I was so excited about this recipe, but my crusts were a disaster. I cooked the polenta on the stove until it was very thick, then poured it into my pans. The crusts looked done and came right out when I flipped them onto the baking sheets, but the parchment was stuck. I thought the crusts might need to cook a bit longer, so I left them in the over for another 20 minutes, but the parchment still stuck :( We’re eating them anyway now, but I feel like I lost half the polenta on the parchment. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong? Your recipes are always so wonderful and I’m just wondering how I screwed this one up so badly! Thanks!