Herbed Polenta with Beans and Bok Choy

by on March 31, 2009

Herbed Polenta with Beans and Bok ChoyWhen writer, speaker, and registered dietitian Jill Nussinow offered to send me a copy of her new DVD Pressure Cooking: A Fresh Look, Delicious Dishes in Minutes, I said yes faster than you can pressure cook a potato. I’ve been a fan of pressure cooking for years and often write here about what a time-saver my cooker is. Since I grew up watching my mother use hers, I never felt the fear of pressure cooking that some people do. My first pressure cooker was one of the jiggly type, but I became an even bigger fan when I bought my newer model. Modern pressure cookers are much less scary than their ancestors; they no longer hiss and puff steam like metal dragons, and most have at least three safety valves built in so there’s no danger of it exploding and showering you with scalding split-pea soup. But old fears die hard, and I still hear of people who won’t use a pressure cooker no matter how much time and energy it would save. (And it would definitely save a lot of both!)

So I appreciate all of Jill’s work teaching people about the safety, nutrition, and speed of pressure cooking. For those of us who aren’t able to attend one of her classes or cooking demonstrations, her DVD is a great chance to watch her in action. In it, she covers all the basics that you need to know as she prepares 14 dishes (including two desserts). The DVD includes a booklet with the complete recipes so that you can easily make the recipes at home. Everything Jill creates looks delicious, particularly the Spiced Red Rice with French Green Lentils and the Garlicky Green Bean Potato Salad, but when I saw her make Herbed Polenta in just minutes, I knew what I would be making.

I love polenta and have cooked it in several ways, including in the microwave, but I’ve got to tell you that none of those ways were as easy as making it in the pressure cooker; it came out lump-free without all the stirring that other cooking methods require. I stirred the water as I poured the polenta into the cooker and stirred it again after it was cooked, and it was thick and smooth. After pouring it into two 8-inch pans to cool, I cut it into cubes and toasted them in a non-stick skillet. Jill’s recipe called for fresh herbs, most of which I had in my garden, and the resulting polenta was probably the most flavorful I’ve ever had. While the polenta cubes stayed warm in the oven, I made up a quick sauté of beans, mushrooms, and some baby bok choy from my garden to go on top.

Herbed Polenta with Beans and Bok Choy

1 Leslie March 5, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was wonderful. This was my first time cooking polenta. It was so easy. Thanks for the recipe!

2 Anonymous March 18, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Found your blog and hoping someone can give me some help. Picked up a second-hand pressure cooker T-Fal Clipso 7.5 L but no instruction manual or basket. Anyone know where I can order a basket or maybe someone could get me started with a copy of their manual? Mine has the one-step release and a 3 stage valve (0, steam, 1 & 2 settings). TXKS! Karen at jstkwt@aol.com

3 elle July 4, 2010 at 1:55 am

I have had mixed experiences with polenta in the pressure cooker. I will try again with this technique – clearly my recipe required the polenta to cook for far too long!

I am starting a monthly series on my blog to post pressure cooker recipes. I hope you enjoy them and consider sharing them with your readers. Up now, are 20 minute lentils. Next week, I will have a step-by-step risotto and next month I have not yet decided on either a creme brulee or a cold veal roast.

Enjoy!

4 elle July 4, 2010 at 2:01 am

Oops! sorry for putting my keyboard in my mouth. i don’t think cold veal roast or creme brulee would work for your readers!

5 elle August 26, 2010 at 4:28 am

Hi Susan… me again! I wanted to let you know that I wrote a detailed article on making polenta in the pressure cooker. I hope you enjoy it!

6 Jim P May 13, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I’m going to give this recipe a try. One question… since you seem to be a big fan of the pressure cooker, why would you use canned beans??

7 SusanV May 13, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Canned beans are still faster than pressure cooked, so when I’m running short on time (hungry kid demanding to be fed), I use canned. People can always substitute the same amount of home-cooked beans.

8 Jade Asian Greens August 9, 2013 at 9:14 am

Love this! How simple, nutritious and perfectly easy! We’re going to feature this on our Facebook page and link here so people can see how you made it, and your lovely photography. If you wish, come LIKE us on Facebook for more recipes and tips on super healthy Asian green vegetables like baby bok choy, gai lan, dau miu (pea shoots), yu choy, gai choy, etc. https://www.facebook.com/Jade.Asian.Greens

–Your friendly Southern California farmers at Jade Asian Greens