Broccoli Slaw Stir-Fry with Tofu

by on October 12, 2012

Broccoli Slaw Stirfry with Tofu

Packaged broccoli slaw is a healthy convenience food. Packed with fiber and vitamins, it can be used instead of cabbage to make a great slaw or tossed into green salads for added crunch. But did you know you can cook it? You can, and it makes the fastest stir-fry you’ve ever had.

Broccoli slaw is simply peeled and shredded broccoli stems combined with a little shredded carrot and sometimes red cabbage. You can make it yourself with a food processor or mandolin, and that’s a great way to use leftover broccoli stems, but peeling and shredding does take a little time. Honestly, I never bother. I save my broccoli stems for other uses and keep a package of organic broccoli slaw in my fridge to add to my daily salads.

Recently, I somehow wound up with two bags. The one bad thing about packaged broccoli slaw is that it goes bad quickly and odoriferously, so to make sure that none went to waste, I used one package as the base for this Ridiculously Easy stir-fry. Because the broccoli stems are so thinly shredded, they cook in about two minutes, allowing me plenty of time to brown a little tofu to make this a filling main dish. It was so tasty that it was an instant hit with my family and, because it was so quick and easy to make, I’ve added it to my short list of “last minute meals” that I can throw together in minutes.

Broccoli Slaw Stirfry with Tofu

I hope you enjoy this quick, easy, and delicious recipe as much as my family did! Stay tuned for more “Weekend Quickies”–ridiculously easy recipes using nutritious packaged foods and natural ingredients.

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Chessie October 12, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Hoo boy, you’ve really given me a craving for some broccoli!

2 Small Footprints October 12, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Now this is my idea of “fast food”. Looks delicious … thanks for sharing. By the way … I have to say that I really love your site. We gave up free oils awhile ago and have struggled with finding recipes without oil. Finding your site was just what we needed. :-)

3 Somer October 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Love this! I totally need more healthy stir fry’s in my life!

4 Lisa @ The Raw Serenity October 12, 2012 at 2:29 pm

The colours look fantastic! Looks great for an easy mid week meal :)

5 Brenna October 12, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I told my boyfriend that I’d make him dinner tonight and, of course, have NO TIME to actually do so, therefore coming across this is a lifesaver! Thanks for another great dish :)

6 Millie Snyder October 12, 2012 at 2:56 pm

What a great take on stir fry! Looks great!

7 moonwatcher October 12, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Thanks–what a yummy easy way to use broccoli slaw! For a soy free alternative, I think I might experiment with marinating some portobello slices in the marinade. Or maybe cooked chickpeas. Hmmm. Something to think about. :) Great photos.

xo

8 Janelle October 12, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I enjoy your beautiful blog so much, Susan! My family has been mostly vegan for over a year now– since dh’s scare and stent. It was a blessing that caused us to get serious about our health.

Are you less inclined to use soy than in the past? What’s your opinion on that?
Also, do you order food products online? I’m very sad that the Sunflower market near me closed. I have not found a store that carries farrow. recommendations?

9 Alisa October 13, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I do a similar quick and easy stir-fry with packaged broccoli and coleslaw and eat it with a tortilla and hoisin or plum sauce as a nod to moo-shoo. Yumm!

10 Note di cucina October 14, 2012 at 4:23 am

Hi! We’re a couple of Italian vegan foodbloggers. We’ve just discovered your blogamazing … We’ll try some recipes as soon as possible! Thanks a lot for sharing them with us :-). This tofu recipe must be delicious!

11 Sophie October 14, 2012 at 10:12 am

How did you know what was in my fridge!!! Thanks! :D

12 Angela W. October 15, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Susan — This was SUPER EASY and REALLY DELICIOUS! Thanks for a great idea. I made it even faster/easier with a bag of frozen tri-color bell peppers and onions. With food this good and fast, who would even think of going to a fast food restaurant!? Happy Monday!

13 Ruby October 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I have Mirin in the pantry – would that be suitable for rice wine?

14 Susan Voisin October 15, 2012 at 2:48 pm

It’s a sweeter and less salty, but I think it would still taste good.

15 S October 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I stir fry broccoli slaw all the time, with tofu or seitan. Have you tried rainbow slaw? It has some red cabbage added in.

16 Becki October 16, 2012 at 10:40 am

Broccoli slaw is my new power food! I have been eating it for a couple of weeks and I eat it both raw and cooked. Last night I chopped some up and mixed it with marinated tempeh to stuff in a bell pepper. It was amazing! I can’t wait to try this stir fry.

17 Tanya @ Playful and Hungry October 17, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Easy and good!

18 Pat Kopp October 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm

I’ll be food shopping tomorrow with copy of recipe in hand…thanks always for the great visuals.

19 Josh October 21, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I enjoyed this but ran into a question. I didn’t see when to add the red pepper flakes so I sprinkled them in with the broccoli slaw. Also I only had sherry so I added some rice vinegar for a little zing.

Overall a good quick recipe.

Thanks for all the work you have put in to this blog it has made my families vegan transition much easier.

20 Susan Voisin October 21, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Sorry about that! I meant for the pepper flakes to be added with the ginger, but somehow they were left out. I’ve added them to the instructions. Thanks for letting me know, and I’m glad you enjoyed it.

21 waldripp December 5, 2012 at 8:03 am

I tried this recipe because I wanted to try using the broccoli slaw and because it seemed really easy. (It was!) Because it was so simple and had simple seasonings I expected it to be one of those recipes that I enjoy but don’t think about much. But the next day I found myself thinking over and over again about the crunch of that broccoli and really looking forward to having the leftovers! Plus the portions are huge! I think this will become a regular, and I’m looking forward to trying the variations others have suggested! Thanks!

22 Veganinha December 27, 2012 at 2:15 am

You are great! I’ll be making this after your lentil soup!

23 Carol January 15, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Susan:
I’ve enjoyed following your blog, admiring the photography and making your delicious recipes for several years! Now I do have a question. How do you prep the tofu? Just drain and rinse it or do you press it to remove more of the water? Also, do you have a suggestion for “seasoned rice”?
Thanks very much!

24 Spices of India March 19, 2013 at 6:01 am

Its good for my breakfast.tasty & less time consuming.

25 Nancy July 4, 2013 at 8:41 pm

I love broccoli slaw. I use it in my salads instead of florets. A real time saver. Also, my carnivore husband put it in lasagna. Of course I had to try it in my vegan version. FABULOUS! Not everyone cared for it. I think it was they weren’t use to the texture and not really the taste. Anyway, we love it. Thanks for an extra use.

26 Ann January 18, 2014 at 12:26 pm

I love this recipe, but my tofu doesn’t really “brown.” Is it supposed to? How do I know when it’s ready?