Easy Red Beans and Rice

by on November 4, 2012

Easy Red Beans and Rice

As a Louisiana girl, I consider slow-cooked red beans and rice part of my cultural heritage, as much a part of my childhood as climbing too high in the live oak trees and eating watermelon at the picnic table in the back yard. I know from experience that it takes all day to make good red beans, and I would never try to convince you otherwise. Except, well, maybe I am about to do just that.

The trouble is, I get cravings. I start remembering the spicy, creamy red beans of my childhood and I want some–right now. But red beans is not a spur-of-the-moment, impulse kind of dish. You have to plan for red beans, putting them on to soak the night before and then cooking them the next day for no real set amount of time, just as long as it takes until they start to break down into a creamy goodness. It’s not fast food, nor should it be. Except when you’ve got a craving.

Truth be told, there’s a guilty secret that many Louisiana home cooks share, and its name is Blue Runner Cream Style Red Beans. For years when I needed a quick dose of Louisiana cooking, I’d open a couple of cans of Blue Runner beans, sometimes adding extra “trinity” (onions, bell pepper, celery) or tomatoes, sometimes just heating and eating them on a pile of fresh-cooked rice. For something out of a can, they’re pretty damned good. I used to be able to buy them here in Jackson, and then suddenly I couldn’t. When I went home for visits, I would often bring cases of them back to Jackson with me, but my supply always seemed to run out too quickly. So in the absence of Blue Runners, I started thinking about making my own fast-food red beans using regular canned beans, and after a couple of attempts, I think I’ve finally gotten it right.

Canned Red Beans without Sugar

It’s essential to use canned beans that don’t contain sugar. The Fresh Market and Kroger have these sugar-free options.

Before you do this at home, there is something very important (and kind of scary) that you need to know about canned red beans: Many–or even most–brands add sugar to their kidney beans, making them unfit for this recipe. The first time I made this, I used the light red kidney beans I had in my pantry, and I couldn’t stand the sweet taste they lent to the dish. So I went in search of unsweetened red beans and had a harder time finding them than you would think. Both the store-brand (Kroger) and the national brand (Bush’s Best) contained sugar and dextrose.

Finally I found two cans in Kroger that were sugar free, their Simple Truth Organic Dark Red Kidney Beans and a can marked simply “Red Beans.” Of the two, the Red Beans are the most like the Camilla brand red beans that are used to make Louisiana red beans and rice, and they’re what I used in this recipe. Dark red kidneys are larger and have a tougher texture, and they can be used if that’s all you can find, but use the ones marked Light Red or just Red Beans if you can find them. Just please, avoid the sugar.

I can’t promise that these beans will be as authentic as slow-cooked red beans, but they will be good. Of course, if you’ve got the time, please give my Real Louisiana Red Beans a try. They’re the real deal, as close to New Orleans as you’re likely to get without doing some traveling.

Easy Red Beans and Rice

More Louisiana Recipes

Vegan Sausage and Mushroom Etoufee and more from my Louisiana Recipes section
Vita’s Vegan Gumbo at Vita’s Vegan Ventures
Cajun-spiced Dirty Rice from Lisa is Cooking
Cajun Lentil Patties at Cajunlicious

Enjoy!

Susan

This post contains Amazon affiliate links. When you buy something through them, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!

1 Carie November 4, 2012 at 4:08 pm

This is why I always buy organic canned beans. The only ingredients they ever have are beans, sea salt, and water. Non-organic canned beans contain all kinds of weird ingredients, chemicals, and preservatives.

2 hansi November 4, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I have been studying for a neurology exam the whole day and when I first saw that picture of that plate I thought it was a brain for a moment!

Thanks for the recipe. I bet it will be lovely with all that garlic!!

3 Patt November 4, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Good news! Amazon now sells cases of Blue Runner canned beans and Camillia dried beans! Heaven!

4 Susan Voisin November 4, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I didn’t find out about the Blue Runners until I was writing this post. I thought Duh–I should have checked before! The price is pretty good, too, with free Prime shipping. I had them ordered before I finished writing. This recipe is pretty easy, but for almost instant meals, nothing beats Blue Runner beans.

5 Casey November 4, 2012 at 4:49 pm

This looks delicious. I live in Australia and can never seem to find Liquid Smoke. I feel like I’m missing out on something tasty. Good excuse to order some online and make this recipe. Thanks :)

6 Michelle November 5, 2012 at 7:41 am

Casey, I found liquid smoke in David Jones food hall in their Sydney Pitt St store – if you live anywhere near a DJs they should be able to get it for you. The staff had no idea what it was – had to scour the shelves for it.

7 Casey November 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Michelle. I live in country NSW (Lismore) so will have to embark on a DJ trip next time I’m in Brisbane :) I always look out for it in Deli’s and health food stores but didn’t think about DJ’s. Thanks!

8 Bruce January 14, 2014 at 6:44 am

I had the same problem in Northern Ireland. I tried these beans on my honeymoon in New Orleans last year and both my wife and I fell in love with them, so we grabbed a bottle of hickory liquid smoke there to bring home. When it ran out, I couldn’t find it anywhere (and wasn’t paying the online prices). So on a recent trip to New York, I made sure to fill my suit case with as many bottles as I could, it was so (comparatively) cheap. Won’t be running out for a while now :)

9 christie November 4, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I cant see the back of the can of the beans on Amazon. I know this is stupid question since this is FatFreeVegan….but are the Blade “cream” style beans also vegan ??

10 Susan Voisin November 4, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Yep, all vegan! I don’t know why Amazon doesn’t list the ingredients like they do for other foods, but here they are, from another site:
Ingredients: Light red kidney beans, water, onions, salt, cottonseed oil, spices and disodium edta to promote color retention.

And here’s a link to a site that has the calorie info, too: http://www.cajunsupermarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=30

11 christie November 4, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Awesome thanks !!! Cant wait to try them !!

12 John Ullman November 4, 2012 at 5:25 pm

I am so happy to find this recipe! A college friend, a Creole woman who’s family came from Louisiana, first made them for us, and later The Golden Eagles made some for us when they stayed with us on a tour of the west coast we arranged. Later on we produced a cookbook for our client, Queen Ida, the Zydeco musician. But, as she said when she sat down to dictate the book to us, “This is NOT diet food.”

I’ve quit making Louisiana food because of the fat calories and because my daughter has become gluten intolerant. I particularly miss gumbo, so do you have any suggestions for capturing the flavor of real brown roux, without so much fat, and possible with a gluten free starch?

Thanks again for offering your red beans and rice recipe!

John Ullman

13 janet @ the taste space November 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I usually cook my own beans from scratch but I never would have thought there would be sugar in the canned beans. Salt, yes, but sugar?? Thanks for the head’s up!

14 Louise November 4, 2012 at 6:25 pm

Here in Brazil is a tradition to eat red beans & rice all over the country! Is a diary side dish served with salad and meat as lunch! Usually the housewifes buy the bean raw and made it on pressure cooker. People like when its freshly cooked.

15 Robin November 4, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Question: are the thyme and oregano fresh or dried? Thanks, looks great!

16 Susan Voisin November 4, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Robin, I use dried for both herbs. You could use fresh, but I’d triple the amount.

17 Cheryl November 4, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I’m pleasantly surprised to learn Simple Truth Organic Red Beans don’t have sugar in them. I’d stopped buying that brand or even picking up one of their products to read the label after I tried their vegetable broth. I’d only glanced at the fat content on the label and bought it. Got it home and used it to saute veggies and there was a very strong molasses odor. Sure enough, it’s an ingredient. Very frustrating, I’m not a molasses fan and had to toss it. I can tolerate molasses in holiday desserts, but not savory soups.
I will give that label another try. Thanks for another great recipe, Susan!

18 slywlf November 4, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Great! I saved both the original and this easy version – sometimes I have time, sometimes I want instant gratification ;-)

19 Vicky November 4, 2012 at 7:50 pm

A wonderful recipe and great comfort food for the cold months ahead!

20 GKB November 4, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Hi
I usually cook and freeze beans in the freezer,so that I have ready access to them when needed.Do you think I can pull out those beans and then cook them with the spices on a stove top to get the same taste?This does feel like comfort food..

21 Susan Voisin November 4, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Yes, that would be even better than canned!

22 Sarah@Kids Heart Real Food November 4, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Yum! Something about this meal just looks so comforting and cozy and perfect for the chilly weather we are having in Toronto. I haven’t actually broken out the crockpot for the season yet but this is the perfect recipe to do so. Thanks for sharing!

23 Joan Tester November 5, 2012 at 2:12 am

This looks a very tasty recipe! I’m just a bit unsure about the ‘hot sauce’. Would chilli sauce fit the bill? I’m another commenter from Australia, but luckily have a Canadian daughter-in-law who has brought liquid smoke back from her trips home!

24 Susan Voisin November 5, 2012 at 6:59 am

Chili sauce sounds like it will work. If it’s red and spicy, it’ll do.

Glad to hear from so many Australians!

25 moonwatcher November 5, 2012 at 10:03 am

These look delicious! The photo makes me want to reach into the screen and take a spoonful right out of that lovely bowl. Most of the time around here when it comes to red beans without additives, we are stuck with red kidney ones. I envy you Southerners with your rich variety beans and peas! And I really appreciate you pointing out how so many canned brands have “extras” like sugar and dextrose. Not only can such additives compromise the taste of a recipe, but for people who can be quite sensitive to such things, like those of us with fibromyalgia, they can also have adverse health effects.

Boy, was I thrilled to read your tip about blending some of the beans and the tomatoes in the food processor to get that creamy texture. (I also read the tip at the end of the Real Louisiana Red Beans and Rice recipe) and laughed out loud. I have done with in desperation, thinking I had somehow “failed” to master how to cook beans down to this texture. But in our very dry northern climate, unless I soak dry bulk beans 24 hours before cooking them, there’s not a chance they’ll disintegrate the way I might want them to. And even then it’s iffy. So I’m glad to know my “cheat,” born out of frustration over the years, is a time honored one. A heartfelt thanks from up north!!

xoxo

moonwatcher (Maria)

26 Charul @ Tadka Masala November 5, 2012 at 10:49 am

This is a very popular Indian dish which is called “rajma-chawal”. Red beans are called rajma in Hindi and Rice is called chawal. It is yumm! :)

27 mamadog November 5, 2012 at 12:30 pm

What would you recommend instead of tomatoes? My son will not eat any nightshades.

28 Susan Voisin November 5, 2012 at 12:59 pm

You can leave the tomatoes out and add 1/2 cup of water when you blend the beans. But aren’t peppers nightshades, too? They add much of the flavor.

29 mamadog November 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

yes, bell peppers are a no-no in our house. I just ignore them when i see them in a recipe. I cannot digest them to save my life (and i don’t usually have any probs digesting anything else!). But tomatoes add more than just flavor, they add the moisture too so it takes a substitute I think.

30 Jackie @ Vegan Yack Attack! November 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Oh my goodness, this looks so comforting and delicious. I wish it wasn’t going to be 90F today in Southern CA! Fall is completely side-stepping us at this point. :( But, I will probably make some chili/bean dishes out of spite soon, anyway. ;)

31 Ruthie November 6, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hi Susan! I’m on a low sodium diet, so I’m wondering what you would suggest as a low-sodium substitute for the hot sauce in this recipe? Usually I just use red pepper flakes mixed with a little vinegar as a sub. for hot sauce, but this recipe already has red pepper in it, so I’m wondering if I should be adding any more or not? (Of course, I’ll also leave out or reduce the tsp. of salt and the smoked salt/liquid smoke and use no-salt-added beans and tomatoes.)

BTW, your comment on sugar in canned beans sent me to the cupboard to recheck my beans. Yup, my favorite Mrs. Grimes (and Kuner’s) no-salt-added kidney beans are just beans and water, no sugar and no weird stuff, though they’re not organic. Apparently the company decided to take everything out when they removed the salt because the “regular” beans of both brands do have sugar and preservatives. Who knew?

32 Patrice Keating November 6, 2012 at 10:47 am

Just made this for lunch. Quick and easy to make, the food processor is the star in this recipe. Unbelievably creamy with complex flavors. This will become a “go-to” recipe. You rock Susan!

33 Alcor November 7, 2012 at 7:43 am

I know it by a different name- rajma chawal. So comforting on a cold night!

34 laloofah November 7, 2012 at 7:51 am

These look absolutely delicious, and I’ve got my Texan husband hanging over my shoulder telling me to save this recipe, he wants it “three times a day!” LOL I doubt I’ll go that far, but we’re definitely going to make this recipe! And may I just say, I love the pretty bowl you’ve photographed them in!

35 Laloofah November 18, 2012 at 11:54 am

My poor “I want this three times a day” husband has been down with the flu for a week, but last night he hoisted his pestilent self off the sofa and made this dish! He was a man possessed. (He even had Zydeco music blasting while he prepared it, which I’m sure helped add some zestiness to the dish!) :-) Boy is it delicious, and is definitely part of our regular repertoire now!

We used Kuner’s “No Salt Added” dark red kidney beans (no sugar in those). I just had some warmed up for brunch and as good as it was last night, it was even better today! Thank you for yet another fantastic recipe, Susan!

36 Holly November 7, 2012 at 8:38 am

I made this last night and it was delicious! Thank-you so much!!

37 Michelle@HappyHeart November 8, 2012 at 7:00 am

This looks delicious! Nice and simple, healthy and belly warming comfort food! Definitely one to give try!

38 Debbie November 9, 2012 at 3:27 am

Hi,

Can you tell me what type of Tahini you use? The only one I can find here in the uk has a fair amount of fat in.
Iam really enjoying your blog, it is so nice to have such a variety of recipes that are both fat free and veggie.
Debbie

39 Brooke November 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

Amazing recipe, though I have yet to try one of your recipes that hasn’t been spectacular (even to my carnivorous junk food loving boyfriend!).

40 Sheri November 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I made these yesterday and they turned out really good, I don’t like celery so I didn’t use it, I think it still tasted great. Also, I’m from Canada and I have never seen canned beans with sugar in them, that’s the bizarrest thing I heard when you wrote that. What will they think of next to put sugar in, crazy. Loved your recipe and made a big batch to keep in the freezer. Thanks!

41 Vivaroo November 11, 2012 at 10:07 am

Hello Aussies, can’t find liquid smoke? I bought mine from the Vegetarian & Vegan Society of Queensland. It was at market stall but I imagine they will post Aust wide.

42 MrsSaucer November 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I went out and bought all the ingredients for this recipe. I cannot wait to gobble this up. Tell you later how it comes out.

43 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner November 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Another amazing recipe! Thanks, Susan!!! :D

44 Sher November 30, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Made this a couple of nights ago, and it will be a regular for me from now on. I ate it for dinner one night, then lunch and dinner the next night. It’s funny how I used to be so anti-beans (just hated the taste) before going fat-free vegan in August and now I absolutely love them — I just had to train myself to like them and it really worked!! This dish was great with all the different flavors combined. Thank you so much!!!

45 Alice December 31, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Just made this… and it was sooo delicious. Can’t believe it was from a couple of cans. After simmering for an hour, the beans were nice and creamy. I don’t normally eat vegan ;) but felt that nothing was ‘missing’.

46 Christabel January 2, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Again, another recipe that will be made during my cleanse! I never knew that canned beans sometimes contained sugar…I will have to start looking at labels a lot more often now. It’s kind of scary what they put in processed food and get away with! Thanks for the tip
Instead of rice, I will be substituting with quinoa…I hope it goes well together!

47 momAgenda January 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm

The picture of the plate in your post looked so delicious I was inspired to try this recipe! It was very easy to prepare. Using precooked red beans saves a lot of time when you are in a hurry. I’m sharing these ingredients with my friends who are also vegans

48 Maya January 12, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I made this last night and loved it! It made for a great lunch today. I’m adding this to my favorites.

49 Jennifer January 15, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I have made dozens of your recipes over the past year since becoming vegan (all wonderful by the way!) and never realized you were a Louisiana native. I too am originally from Louisiana and moved to Tennessee a few years back. I am so excited to now find all your vegan-ized Louisiana dishes. And just in time for carnival season! Thank you!

50 Phoo-d January 27, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and it was delicious! Added about 1/2 lb chopped kale and 1Tbs apple cider vinegar to round out the veggie component. Served it over rice and everyone had a big helping. Thanks for the great recipe!

51 Katie February 21, 2013 at 8:24 am

Wow, wow, wow! This made a yummy meal last night! It will become one of my Lenten staples since it is vegan! Soooo delicious! Thank you!

52 Karen March 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I was looking for a red beans and rice recipe with brown rice and came upon your recipe. First of all, thank you for the info. about canned beans possibly containing sugar/corn syrup; it never occurred to me that a simple can of beans could potentially have sugar in it, but I searched the grocery shelves and found that you are indeed correct! There is no doubt that sugary beans do not belong in a recipe for red beans and rice.

Your red beans and rice “shortcut” recipe was amazing. I made it today, and it has texture, tons of flavor, plus it looks temptingly delicious. Good-bye, ready-to-cook red beans and rice, this recipe is a fabulous replacement. I used chicken broth instead of water because I had a can of broth hanging around, and topped with a few bits of freshly chopped green onion when serving – divine. Thanks again.

53 karin March 18, 2013 at 8:58 am

i wanted you to know that this recipe has become an absolute STAPLE in my family over the last few months. i’ve moved into a vegan diet, and some of my family has as well.
my father suffered a major heart attack about 18 months ago, resulting in open-heart surgery for 5 bypasses. he has since done an amazing job “cleaning up” the way he eats… and for a total mid-western, meat and potatoes guy, it hasn’t been easy.
on days where i make food for my house and my parents, he’ll often request your red beans and rice. i’m always more than happy to supply!!
thanks so much for being a resource,
i’ve loved everything i’ve tried!
karin in OH

54 Susan Voisin March 18, 2013 at 9:23 am

I’m so glad to hear that your father likes the recipe and that he is doing so well with his diet. Thanks for sharing!

55 lovemyfamily April 5, 2013 at 10:05 am

This was pretty good. I added some chorizo seitan and put it in tortilla shells. My kids ate the rice but not the beans, but that is them being picky. I just chopped up the veggies really small and didn’t food process them cause I like stuff chunky. I let it cook on low for a full hour and it needed that long too, I had no idea red beans were so stubborn, I don’t use red beans usually.

56 hillary stringer May 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm

delicious, just delicious! and so easy to prepare, thanks!

57 Sarah June 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm

This is o e of my family’s favorite recipes. The only thing I do different is I add 1tsp of file (fee-lay) powder (a southern cooking season) and I actually do it all in the crockpot! I love that I can throw it in and at the end of the day we have a yummy dinner that’s easy. We just cook the rice when we are ready to eat!

58 Marisa June 4, 2013 at 5:05 pm

This turned out so amazing.

I made ours with homemade beans and we love the add of Liquid smoke.

Will be making this again.

59 YogaBritta June 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm

I have been making your slow recipe for a few years now and I’m really looking forward to trying these ones for dinner tonight.

60 Alex November 1, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I can’t believe there’s sugar in kidney beans over there! Even the 21p cans I buy a ton of here have beans, water and maybe some sort of thing like ascorbic acid, which isn’t particularly scary. I may be British, but I love red beans and rice so I’ll have to give this a go when I get a craving! Thanks :D

61 patb7880@gmail.com November 4, 2013 at 10:17 am

This recipe makes a lot of beans so would this freeze well?

62 Susan Voisin November 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

Yes, if you wrap them up tightly (so that there is no air at the top of the container), they’ll freeze just fine.

63 Katie November 4, 2013 at 10:31 am

I’m new to the vegetarian world–I’m moving toward vegan but one thing at a time. :) Regardless, without your recipes I would be starving or eating really crappy tasting food! My family (who doesn’t realize they too are moving in the same direction) LOVES the meals too! Keep up the great work!

64 Susan Voisin November 4, 2013 at 10:34 am

Wow, Katie, I’m so happy to hear that! Congrats on going vegetarian and moving toward vegan! I’m happy to be able to help. :)

65 Dave November 5, 2013 at 2:01 am

Wonder if using smokey chipotle hot peppers in lieu of liquid smoke would work?

66 Alice Nelson November 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Thanks for giving me the link for the meatloaf recipe. Will try it and make it again for Thanksgiving if I like it. Have never not liked any recipe that I’ve tried from you. Thanks again

67 Marian Gleason November 5, 2013 at 10:24 pm

We had this for tonight’s dinner and Bill insisted on having seconds. It is YUMBO, Susan, and definitely a keeper! I’ll be sharing this recipe on FB so my friends can enjoy the recipe too. :D Many thanks for all you do for us!!!! xxMarian

68 sommer December 7, 2013 at 2:07 pm

This easy red beans and rice were soooo good!!Blending half is a stroke of genius! I’m on a dairy free/yeast free diet so this was fab!! Thank you!

69 Jarod Lojeck December 12, 2013 at 10:27 am

I have become very fond of home canning with a pressure canner. I’m going to play with your recipe a bit as see if I can make it in such a way that it cooks and cans at the same time. I’ll let you know how it turns out. It might be an even faster way to get your fix and retain the home cooked taste.

70 Susan B. December 19, 2013 at 8:34 am

I live in Jackson, too. Kroger does carry Blue Runner, just not all of them, and in the Creole/Cajun section and not with the regular beans. My usual Kroger at Castlewoods doesn’t, but the one at Dogwood does. Two questions, I would like to use this recipe but use the creamed beans instead of creaming the whole ones, can I straight substitute these? There are also two varieties on the shelf, “original” and “spicy New Orleans style”. I’ve never bought the NOLA style, but didn’t know if you had any comment about them.
Thank you!

71 Susan Voisin December 19, 2013 at 8:44 am

Thanks, Susan! I’ll have to see if my Kroger carries them, and if not, take a drive out to Dogwood.

I use the regular Blue Runner and the New Orleans style interchangably and don’t notice much difference honestly. The NOLA style may be a touch spicier, but since I like things very spicy, my palate isn’t sensitive to subtle changes in spices.

I’ve never used BR beans in this recipe because basically this recipe is trying to take regular canned red beans and turn them into BR. So if you use BR beans in this, you’re essentially doubling the spices (adding these seasonings to the ones BR already contains). Being a spice lover, that wouldn’t bother me, but it might overdo the spicyness for other people. Dies that make any sense?

72 Susan B. December 19, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Yes, thanks. Sounds like I could use half BR and half regular, same veggies, but ditch the spices? In the past have used canned and Zatarain’s seasoning if not making all from scratch, so just having to think a little…. decided I didn’t need to be using the Zatarain’s anymore….

73 Julia January 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm

I just tried to print off your “Easy Red Beans and Rice Recipe” and ended up with your whole bloody blog printing off…….could you make it more user friendly….like some way that a person could print off JUST the recipe. …would keep more trees alive!

74 Julia January 4, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I apologize….I see that you actually did have a “Print Recipe” that I missed…..sorry….poor trees!

75 Lisa L February 7, 2014 at 7:46 am

Hi! I was looking for a quick kidney bean with rice recipe and I decided to do your recipe because I had all the ingredients… But I noticed that my cans of beans had sugar in it. I did it anyway (because now I have to eat them, I won’t throw them away ) and it was simply delicious. But thanks to your blog, I am now aware of the problem of sugar in cans of beans and from now on I will buy only sugar free ones. (and my dish will be even bettef in the future). But my next move is to make your real Louisiana beans recipe and I bet it will be fantastic. Thanks for sharing those recipe. I already saved this one in my small EDF list (easy/delicious/fast).

76 Lisa L February 7, 2014 at 7:58 am

After a second look I just noticed that the sugar in the can I used is the natural sugar of the beans. Not added. Pheww! That’s why it was so good :)

77 Will February 28, 2014 at 11:29 am

I made this last night, used sriracha but otherwise stuck to the recipe, thanks it was delicious!

78 Kcalla March 4, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Wow! Just ate our Fat Tuesday dinner to celebrate Mardi Gras, but this recipe will certainly become part of our regular rotation. I was “generous” with the spicing but otherwise followed recipe. Used the liquid smoke at the end as recommended. Served with rice and steamed Kale. What a great dinner. Reminded us so much of our young adult years Louisiana and Mobile, AL, the homes of Mardi Gras. Thank you for an innovative technique, that made all of the difference. We also sought out the Kroger beans mentioned. Thanks, so much!

79 K May 13, 2014 at 10:47 am

I made this and it was great! Let everything cook for an hour total. Left out the liquid smoke since we don’t like things too smoky. I LOVE how easy this was, with throwing all the veggies in the food processor. Everything just melted together into such a beautiful sauce. I couldn’t believe how creamy it was. Loved it with some Frank’s hot sauce on top. Definitely will make it again!

80 Jen May 27, 2014 at 4:38 pm

These are awesome!! Thank you for sharing :)