Roasted Asparagus Salad with Chickpeas and Potatoes

by on March 25, 2013

Roasted Asparagus Salad with Chickpeas and Potatoes

To the lady in the red blouse shopping at The Fresh Market last Thursday: Please forgive me for scaring you. I was that crazy woman with the rain-frizzled hair who startled you by yelling “Yes!” over your shoulder as you were bagging your asparagus. I’m really not that dangerous. Ask anybody (well, maybe not the man by the organic strawberries). It’s just that I’ve been waiting so long for asparagus prices to come down from the stratosphere, and when I saw that $2.79 price tag, I couldn’t control myself. I will take your advice and seek help (or maybe just an extra helping of roasted asparagus).

To my family: You don’t know this, but I bought two bunches of asparagus at the store and ate one for lunch on Friday (in this recipe!) I’ve written a poem in the style of William Carlos Williams to express my true feelings about holding out on you like that:

I Am Not That Sorry to Say

I have eaten
a bunch
of asparagus
that you didn’t even know existed

and which
you wouldn’t know about at all
if not
for this blog

Your loss!
They were delicious
so tender
and so green

To my readers: I scared a stranger and deprived my family in order to bring this recipe to you. I hope you’re happy!

Roasted Asparagus Salad with Chickpeas and Potatoes

Smile (and enjoy)!

Susan

1 Esther J March 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’m sure you feel better now that your conscience is clear with your family (but probably nowhere near as good as your tummy felt good when you ate them). ;)

I had my first asparagus of the season (roasted with garlic and juice of orange and lemon) last Saturday with brunch. Eagerly anticipating more to follow, probably at least once in this form.

Best to you!

2 Diandra March 25, 2013 at 10:51 am

You made me laugh so much that I have to try this recipe. And I do not even like asparagus that much (hold your exorcisms – that was a bad idea when it came from the ex BF already).

3 Marie Arnold March 25, 2013 at 11:42 am

Oh! I am so glad I am not the only one who is munching on all the asparagus I can get! I think I have an addiction! :)
This recipe looks and sounds delicious. I wasn’t sure what to have for lunch today…..now I do! Thank you for all the wonderful recipes that you share.
*hugs*

4 moonwatcher March 25, 2013 at 11:47 am

I started laughing out loud before I even got to the poem! I’m sure William Carlos Williams is laughing in his grave as well!(That poem about the plums remains one of my favorites.) Not to not mention that the salad sounds fantastic! Soon I hope to be the crazy lady in the store yelling “yes!” that asparagus has arrived. I have a feeling it will be this week! Wonderful recipe. (And I’d have eaten the whole bunch, too, without telling anyone. ) Great post, great recipe!!

xoxo

5 Arminda March 25, 2013 at 11:58 am

I LOVE asparagus, too! Thanks for another great recipe to add to my arsenal! And thank you springtime for all the bounty that’s about to come our way :)

6 Kathy Hester March 25, 2013 at 12:00 pm

This post makes me miss you!

7 Debraq March 25, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I had to comment beccause I got just as excited reading this recipe as apparently you did planning for your asparagus adventure. I don’t meet that many people who get as enthused about vegetables the way I do, so this was very exciting. You made my day, as well as planned tonight’s dinner. I have fresh asparagus from the weekend Farmer’s Market! Yum!

And very nice poem! :-)

8 Leila March 25, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Dear Susan. Both your vigilence in the grocery store and your triage decision in the kitchen, alone with the asparagus, are appreciated by this devoted reader.

On a more sober note: Thank you for this blog. Your blog and recipes are turning me into a more confident and healthier cook. Even my husband has started eating what I cook! In fact, I might actually go out and buy, cook (using the recipe above), and Eat asparagus this year.

Leila

9 Maggie March 25, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I love the ode to William Carlos Williams almost as much as I love the sound of this recipe. Well done on both accounts!!

10 Cheryl March 25, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I love it when you’re funny!
Yesterday afternoon I had a similar experience at my local market. I spotted the asparagus for 2.99/lb and said OH! It just slipped out. A couple nearby looked at me like I was nuts. I pretended I had started coughing. I live in Texas. I think it is illegal to get happy over vegetables here! (kidding, fellow Texans). I got 2lbs and NOW I know what to do with the other lb. I ate one lb this morning, roasted with some pumpkin seeds, lime juice and orange juice. Just happened to have that blend on hand. omg.
Susan please.. never change! lol

11 Diana March 25, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Your enthusiasm for asparagus is absolutely hilarious. My sister loves them too, and so does my mom. Unfortunately, I’m not that crazy for them but I’m glad that this recipe is a keeper so that I will know what to do with them. Thanks again, Susan!

12 Marge March 25, 2013 at 2:14 pm

that looks yummy. right now all the asparagus in my stores are pencil then and from Mexico, will wait until that fat Washington state ones arrive.

13 Connie Fletcher March 25, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Now you’re a bit scary…I think Spring (and asparagus) has gone to your head!! I do have a question…..I got a recipe for eggplant djuvec from our local health food store (which I would be happy to forward to you…). It is fabulous, but LOADED with oil..roasting eggplant just soaks up the oil. How do you roast eggplant without using tons of oil?

14 Maggie Carey March 25, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I did the same thing in my market when I saw the aspargus prices coming down—I live in Mahattan though, so we’re used to seeing crazy people all the time—I just fit in. Thanks for the recipe.

15 Sharon March 25, 2013 at 4:37 pm

This is another combination I never would have thought of–but my husband & I both found it delicious. I happened to have all the ingredients on hand–the asparagus was just waiting for this inspiration. I made my own balsamic dressing using a maple-balsamic vinegar mixed with water, lemon juice, fresh basil, chia seeds & the mashed garlic. I baked the red potatoes & left their skins on. The house smelled wonderful while the veggies were roasting. Thanks for all of your wonderful recipes–I will make this one again.

16 stephanie March 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Maybe it’s just me, but lately it seems like you’ve been posting simple, deconstructed recipes. And I love it! No sacrifice in flavor, but basic ingredients without a lot of labor! Thank you so much for sharing these healthy, delicious time savers! You are always on point!

17 Shannon March 25, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Not sure what’s more awesome– the recipe or the poem :)

18 Jackie March 25, 2013 at 6:38 pm

Do you serve hot or cold?

19 Susan Voisin March 25, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I ate it warm the first time and cold the second. It was good both ways.

20 Brenda March 25, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Susan … this gave me such a great laugh!! When I saw the blog post’s title, I right away went to close it, since I do not care for asparagus (hey .. more for you, OK?). But before I could close the page, my eyes caught the first sentence of your post, and I read thru the whole thing!! I can just picture the whole scene!! Wonderful story!!

21 Susan Voisin March 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Brenda, you just made my day! I’m so happy that I got a confirmed asparagus-hater to read my asparagus post! :-)

22 Amey March 25, 2013 at 10:05 pm

ha ha!! I love your asparagus poem SO MUCH, Susan!!
I love asparagus too. I’ve got a lovely bunch of it in my fridge right now!

23 Ellen March 25, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I made this recipe tonight since I happened to have all raw ingredients in house. I did not even bother to use the posted dressing, just mashed up six baked garlic cloves with some chili pepper flakes, S/P and a squeeze of lemon and mixed it into the potato/asparagus/chickpea dish. It was quite good. I think this makes a great breakfast too.

24 Susan Voisin March 26, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Your variation sounds great!

25 Kate March 26, 2013 at 5:19 am

Oh, that looks DELICIOUS! Maybe when it stops snowing here, I might feel more inclined to eat salads. :-)

26 Jamie | Thrifty Veggie Mama March 26, 2013 at 8:27 am

Love this salad! I am super excited to have asparagus again! I used it in a recipe this week too.

27 Diane March 26, 2013 at 11:11 am

Oh, drat! I roasted (with garlic and a hint of salt) the last of my asparagus yesterday and had it for supper last night. I hope there’s more asparagus at the store this week so I can try your recipe – it sounds so good! I, too, wait all year for asparagus season and then pig out the first few weeks – ate the first bunch all by myself in one meal last week – mmmmm.

28 Diane April 5, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Update: asparagus was on sale this week, so I finally made this a couple days ago – Delicious! Definitely a keeper! I doubled the recipe and served it to several family members who aren’t vegan, though two are flexitarian, so they eat vegetarian meals often. I used your dressing recipe and put the leftover dressing on the table in case someone wanted more. The two who are strongly omni wouldn’t even try the salad -their loss. The rest of us liked it, though we agreed that it was a little bland and next time I should mix all the dressing into the salad instead of just the amount the recipe calls for.

Today I was looking through the leftovers in the fridge and found the last of this salad, but not enough for lunch. Then I found a large cooked beet leftover from another recipe, so I diced that and mixed it in. Everything turned a little pink, but it tasted great!

29 Nicole Leigh March 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Mmm, asparagus is one of my favorites and this looks great! :)

30 lcarballo March 27, 2013 at 8:13 am

Made this for dinner last night and we loved it! The dressing was especially yummy. Can’t wait for lunch so I can polish off the leftovers.

31 Anjali March 27, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I had the same experience, when I saw the price was 2.99/lb, I was so happy to buy it.

32 moonwatcher March 27, 2013 at 9:50 pm

I made this tonight and it is wonderful! I used half of my first bunch of asparagus, and two fingerling potatoes I needed to sue up, and my lemony pear dressing. I aimed for a single serving, but then discovered I was hungrier than I thought (why don’t I know this??) so I added a couple fistfuls of arugula and a spoonful of quinoa. It takes on these tastes quite well. I really l liked the trick of roasting the single garlic cloves. I feel like I ate my first “Spring” meal tonight!! Thanks!!

33 Cesare Raphael DiAngelo March 27, 2013 at 11:39 pm

The photos, both of them reflect a style and use of light that is starting to be a singular quality of your work. The thematic use of greens and yellows in the vegetables, napkin and framing dish foregrounded from a blurred whiteout is simply masterful.

34 Tina March 28, 2013 at 9:39 am

Hi Susan! I’ve been subscribed to you for a couple of months now and I’m thoroughly enjoying your site and delicious recipes!
The reason I chose today to comment is your utterly Fantastic poem!!! I was utterly delighted to read it; gave me a Big Smile and a chuckle. You, my dear, are a HOOT! :D
Just wanted you to know that you are appreciated…Thanks so much!

35 Renee March 28, 2013 at 12:54 pm

I made the Roasted Asparagus Salad with Chickpeas and Potatoes last night and it was wonderful! Thanks for a great recipe! I used store-bought Ken’s Balsamic Vinaigrette and it worked nicely. My coworker is raving about it right now as I shared lunch with her! Thanks again!

36 JoelM March 29, 2013 at 10:52 am

We made it – it was fantastic!

37 janey March 29, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Your poem was delightful! I was instantly reminded of Mathew Macfadyen’s reading of the William Carlos Williams poem:
I plan to make your salad this weekend and already know I will love it. Thank you!

38 Justmj March 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I just make this for lunch. I loved it! I put fresh rosemary in while cooking the asparagus. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

39 Another E March 31, 2013 at 9:15 am

I, too, have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of reasonably priced asparagus. Yesterday, on a visit to an alternate grocery store, I hit the jackpot. Good looking asparagus on sale for $1.99 a bunch! I bought three and ate an entire one myself — roasted with a bit of salt and pepper.
The second bunch has been earmarked for this salad and I plan to add a portion of the third bunch to the mini crustless tofu quiches recipe (an old favorite).

Count me among the inspired.

40 Wendy March 31, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Just made this for Easter Dinner tonight. Snuck a little, very tasty, will definitely make again.

41 Lorri March 31, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Just finished making this for tonights dinner. This is soooo good. I too am a asparagus lover. On my 3rd bunch of the season. 2.59 a pound here. Once a got all the ingredients together in the bowl but before the salad dressing I thought to myself that this would be a great base for a tofu scramble. Maybe next time. Oh and I added the optional olives and it really added something to the whole thing. As usual…you are the best.

42 Jen March 31, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Made this tonight…so delicious! Pre-roasted the baby potatoes to make nice and crispy. Also added in some baby portobello mushrooms and some red bell peppers for color. Dressing was awesome…we cheated a little and used Trader Joe’s Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette. Will make again…had at room temperature and it was great!

43 Jessica April 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Thank you for posting such a tasty, simple and healthy recipe. I love your website! I use it all the time and I thought it was about time that I told you so! Thank you for the recipes. I’ve found it surprisingly hard to find simple, delicious AND healthy vegan recipes… but you make it easy for me. THANK YOU!

44 mel April 1, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Another amazing recipe. Just wanted to finally comment after lurking for over a year. There are so many great recipes on this site, whenever I come here it feels like visiting a friend. Thanks Susan! Thanks for enabling my addiction to healthy food, with recipes interesting enough to feed to my carnivorous husband, no less!

45 Kate April 1, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Hilarious. I love this recipe. It looks so delicious. I’m going to try it out for dinner tomorrow. **bookmarked!

46 Abby April 2, 2013 at 1:21 am

You did a great job! Thank you for your post, I was thinking of what other recipe would I do with the asparagus other than soup this would add to the list. :)
I have also waited for this low price therefore I could buy for my weekly menu.

47 Susan Simon April 2, 2013 at 8:54 pm

This is so delicious. I added chopped parsley and chopped curly kale and a few sliced kalamata olives. I just used regular balsamic vinegar mixed with the garlic, a bit of oregano and a little potato. I should have added a few red pepper flakes.

This one is a real keeper – thank you so much!!!

48 Virgil S. April 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Whoa that sounds (and looks) good. I am about to head out to the store right now, thanks for this recipe and all of the others.

49 Rachel Wigg April 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I made this last night for dinner and served it over quinoa. It was so super tasty! I think anything that has roasted garlic in it should have the words “roasted garlic” in the title. :)

50 stephanie April 6, 2013 at 6:16 pm

This dish is so addictive! I’ve made it three times since you’ve posted it! The last time I made the potatoes and chickpeas a day ahead and later realized I had no asparagus! : O Oh no! Someone had eaten it all (probably me…).
I subbed Brussel’s sprouts and forgot to add the dressing. It was surprisingly delicious, despite the changes, and very Irish!

51 Anna April 7, 2013 at 5:19 am

Loved this recipe. I made it with purple potatoes instead of yukon golds last night and it was super yummy and very filling. I have never roasted and mashed garlic like that before, it made me feel like a gourmet vegan chef!!!!

52 kensington cooker April 8, 2013 at 1:30 pm

This came out very good even with a few substitutions for ingredients I had on hand( different type of potato, vinegar etc.). But when I ate it cold the next day, it seemed to improve its flavor far more than even most better-the-next day recipes and became really yummy!

53 Mickey April 8, 2013 at 5:30 pm

First recipe I’ve tried on this site. REALLY exceptional. Love the combination of vegetables and beans! Definitely use the Balsamic-Raisin dressing. Thanks so much!

54 Annie April 30, 2013 at 12:50 pm

William Carlos Williams is my favorite American poet. :) And SO appropriate that yours was about ASPARAGUS! I bought two bunches the other day (it was on sale for 99 cents a pound!) and made one for me and one for my husband, remarking, “can a vegetable be like crack to a person?” We gave a few spears to our children but kept most to ourselves… it seems like they want it more when we act like it’s a grown-up delicacy, ha!

55 Florie May 6, 2013 at 10:33 am

Susan,

This is delicious! I’ve made it three times now and it’s always popular. (Not to mention your poem. Love it!)

As I was just looking through your recipes, I realized how many of them I’ve made and enjoyed over the last 15 months of plant-based eating. Your meals have graced our table at least two or three nights each week. You’ve helped make this adventure delicious, nutritious and fun for my family! Thank you for your generosity in sharing your work with us!

May God bless you and your family!

56 Paige May 7, 2013 at 8:00 am

I made it “as-is” the first time and…yum! The second time I roasted a red pepper alongside the potatoes and mushrooms with the asparagus. I diced the pepper and quartered the mushrooms – I really liked the flavor and texture both of these added. Your blog has been a lifesaver since my husband went vegan about a year ago! My picky 5 year old even eats many of your recipes!

57 Karen June 1, 2013 at 3:51 pm

I roasted the potatoes, then when they were almost done added the asparagus and onions. A couple of minutes before taking out of the oven I added the garbanzos to the pan, to heat them. After taking out of the oven I tossed the veggies and beans with dressing ( homemade roasted garlic balsamic vinaigrette, my version of a Moosewood recipe) and scooped it over fresh spinach (from our garden) on our plates. My husband’s comment was that it is a keeper. Very nice easy dinner for a rainy and cold Montana spring evening. Thanks.

58 Krysta October 1, 2013 at 7:28 am

Just made this yesterday and it was GREAT. I love the roasted garlic in the dressing. Thanks a lot!

59 Helen October 3, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for this great new recipe! I happened to have almost all the ingredients on hand, but I did have to sub out apple cider vinegar and regular raisins for the dressing. Still delish! :)

60 Robin October 6, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Susan

This was really very nice! I added all of the variations and my husband (the omnivore) and I really enjoyed it for lunch. Thank you! That roasted garlic….yum!

61 Kim December 20, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I doubled it and used a fat free, dairy free ranch dressing instead of the Balsalmic. I am in love with this salad! Thanks so much!

62 Linda February 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm

This sounds wonderful! I’m making it in advance for a work party tomorrow. Should I wait to add the salad dressing until right before lunch?

63 Sharon March 16, 2014 at 5:21 pm

I’m trying to work my way through your recipes, one at a time. But it may take a lifetime, because I keep going back and making favorites over & over like this asparagus salad. We love it because it is easy & tasty & healthy! Thanks, Susan.

64 Peggy March 19, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I made this salad tonight and didn’t have raisins so I used craisins. It is a easy dish and will be making it again. Thanks, love your site.

65 Peg April 15, 2014 at 9:55 am

Susan, I’ve been wanting to make this dish since you posted in a year ago, and am soooo sorry I waited so long. It was absolutely delicious — my husband, who isn’t an asparagus fan, raved about it, and wanted to know WHEN I was making it again! We’re both attempting to follow the Eat to Live plan, and I think we’d starve to death if it weren’t for your website, since the Fuhrman recipes aren’t particularly friendly to people who need to pull dinner together after a long workday. Thanks so much for so many fabulous meals and ideas!