Mexican Lasagna (or Enchilada Casserole)

by on July 1, 2006

Enchilada Casserole or Mexican Lasagna

When my daughter E. has a friend over for dinner for the first time, my first thought is often the same as what I imagine her friends’ parents think when E. comes to visit for the first time: “Oh no, what will I feed her!” Most kids come packing all sorts of food baggage: This one hates onions but likes broccoli, that one won’t eat anything green but likes beans, as long as they’re baked in barbeque sauce. When you’re used to feeding a child who has been vegetarian from birth, you lose touch with what “normal” kids eat: Lose the hummus–it looks “gross” to little Sally; Molly hasn’t ever had sushi, which, of course, means she won’t touch it.

So I tend to stick to very basic recipes when kids are visiting: spaghetti with marinara sauce, bean burritos, and stir-fries (for the kids who will eat vegetables). This can make it appear to their parents that we eat the same boring things week after week, but at least their children don’t starve while they’re here.

Last night, we had a young visitor for dinner, one who I knew liked Mexican food, so I decided to prepare a family favorite that we haven’t had in a long time (since before I started this blog, in fact). It’s based on a recipe for No-Roll Enchiladas that has become very popular over at Fatfree Vegan Recipes, but I’ve renamed it Mexican Lasagna because that’s what my daughter calls it. It’s a great dish for visiting food critics (a.k.a. kids) and for potluck dinners, and it was a big hit last night, even though our visitor did manage to pick out all the black beans and leave them on the side of her plate. Oh well. Everybody doesn’t like something!

1 Shannan January 3, 2010 at 1:07 am

I just made this for lunch and I enjoyed it so much I had to post a comment straight away! This was the best mexican meal I have ever had, really great. I added some pineapple pieces to mine too and it was reaaaaaaaly yummy!

2 Anonymous January 10, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I noticed many comments said it looked good and they couldn't wait to try it. I wonder if they ever did try it and then comment. I put this recipe in the "Never Ever Fix Again" file. Expensive ingrediants to throw away when no one will eat it.

3 Michaelmybeloved February 23, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Send it to me then… I will eat it. We love it! (and, wonderfully omni friendly too!)

4 Rita April 20, 2011 at 1:16 pm

What? How? Sheesh? I’ve yet to find a hater and my kids’ friends have all the same food fads too! (Am trying to imagine where she shops, maybe Harrods of London haha!)

5 SusanV April 20, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I agree! I always think of this as a budget meal.

6 chooseyourownfoodchain March 29, 2012 at 5:45 am

Geez, it sure is easy to leave a nasty comment anonymously. I wonder, where on earth did you purchase your tortillas, beans, and vegetables? Typically, tortillas and beans are among the cheapest vegan foods one can buy. Vegetable prices can be hit or miss, yes, but overall this is far from an “expensive” dish. And to whom, I wonder, did you serve this dish? I made it tonight and people couldn’t stop raving about it. Perhaps you are the one missing the mark here, and not the author and her recipe? Regardless, from one vegan blogger to another, BRAVO to this delicious Mexican Lasagna by FatFree Vegan Kitchen!

7 Kb April 13, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Got everything at Fresh and Easy for around $30 (and that included Daiya shreds!) and this feeds my bf and I for dinner, plus his lunch for the next four days (we freeze in portions, heats up awesome). Great recipe imo. One of our go-tos!

8 Sheena February 4, 2010 at 12:20 pm

I did make this last night and my whole family loved it :) The enchilada sauce was not hard at all to make. I'm not sure about expensive ingredients, not much more than a normal meal. Next time I make it I'm going to add cilantro to the tomatoes and salsa for more flavor :)

9 Anonymous April 10, 2010 at 5:39 pm

This was incredibly good!! I would recommend making extra enchilada and pouring extra over each serving. It did take a lot of pans and bowls (and time) to put together but definitely worth it!

Allison

10 Heather May 9, 2010 at 12:34 am

Great dish! Really tasty with plenty of leftovers for lunches!

11 diane May 29, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I have also made this several times and I cannot imagine what Anonymous means when she said no one would eat it and she filed it in her never to make again file. We love it and it is sooo easy to improvise if one doesn’t like the refried beans, just add the black or pintos. I didn’t find this partcularly expensive and it goes a long way. No wonder Anonymous is remaining Anonymous. Diane from Roseville….

12 Tara June 9, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Tasted great, but my tortillas got really gummy. I put a bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan, is that what might have caused it?

13 SusanV June 9, 2010 at 7:05 pm

That would be my guess, though if they were all gummy–even the ones on other layers–that wouldn’t explain it.

14 Cindy June 22, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I just made this for dinner and can’t stop eating it. Is half the casserole too much to eat? Nom nom nom!

15 Joy June 30, 2010 at 11:57 am

This is a keeper! Great recipe and even better reheated the next day!

16 Oh My July 11, 2010 at 9:59 pm

This is evil. I ate half of it already.

17 Alexandra July 20, 2010 at 3:18 pm

I made this last night and it was so good! My 13 month old demolished a full adult portion! There must be something magical about the mixture, because I gave my daughter a bean (made the recipe on the link so had a lot left over) and rice burrito today for lunch and a lot of it ended up on the floor. We aren’t vegetarian, but I’m trying to expand our food menu. I’m making a couple of other recipes from your site this week. I’ll try to leave comments for those too. Thanks!

18 laurata August 19, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Do you think this would freeze well? I am working on a list of meals to prep and freeze before our 5th babe arrives in December. I’m thinking of lining a pyrex pan with foil, adding layers, freezing with baking instructions, and wrapping really well. Then when we want to eat it, pulling it out that morning and baking it for dinner.

19 SusanV August 19, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I think it will freeze just fine. Congratulations on your new family member!

20 Kb April 13, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Freezes great! I make this on Sundays so my bf has a quick and easy vegan lunch to heat up. I add extra enchilada sauce to the containers before freezing.

21 sonya August 30, 2010 at 8:14 am

I make a similar dish but perhaps not as kid friendly. This is my rescue recipe for when i over cook my beans or have lots of veggie dregs, bits and pieces in my crisper and freezer. Usual additions are: mushrooms, squash (chayote especially), spinach or broccoli, and jarred cactus. Also to spice it up I add a pinch of chipotle, ancho or some pasilla. And anything else that needs to get eaten. I usually end up with two medium pans, one for now and one for the freezer. And if there are pepitas in the house, I sprinkle them on top to pretty it up. And yes it freezes great.

22 Abha October 1, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Planning on making a variation of this on Sunday. Can’t wait to try it out for my cousin’s high school kids. Will let u know how it turns out.

23 Yvonne October 21, 2010 at 5:44 pm

The nutritional information mentions cholesterol. Where does the cholesterol come from?

24 SusanV October 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm

That’s an error. Probably the recipe software used either enchilada sauce or refried beans that contained animal fat (which goes to show that you have to read ingredients carefully). I’ve just re-run the recipe using newer software and the figures for the brand of refried beans that I use, and the anaylsis comes out to:

Nutrition (per serving): 271 calories, 15 calories from fat, 1.8g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1055.5mg sodium, 521mg potassium, 51.3g carbohydrates, 14.2g fiber, 7.2g sugar, 14.4g protein, 4.8 points.

Better on everything except sodium!

25 Kimbie January 27, 2012 at 6:51 am

Thanks, Susan! Very yummy meal! Could you update the nutrition info at the bottom of the recipe to reflect this revision, please? Thanks!

26 Jasmin October 25, 2010 at 3:00 am

OH MY GOD! this is soooo delicious. So far my fave from your website!

27 Megan November 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Made this last night– yum! I used a can of Trader Joe’s authentic-style vegetarian refried beans, which made it super simple. I halved the recipe and made it in a pie pan. We will definitely make this again! (Also, I’ll probably be blogging about it for MoFo today.)

28 canister sets December 13, 2010 at 5:46 pm

Based on the photo of the Mexican Lasagna, the kids would not know the difference. Like you said everybody dislikes something, my daughter would be picking out those black olives :).

29 jaime December 23, 2010 at 1:07 pm

does it matter to use corn or flour tortillas?

30 SusanV December 23, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Corn tortillas are traditional, as well as being lower in fat than flour tortillas. They hold up better, too. So my advice is to use corn tortillas.

31 Suzanne December 31, 2010 at 4:22 am

I know this would just add fat to the Mexican Lasagna recipe… but I bet adding a little Daiya cheese or some of WayFare’s “We Can’t Say it’s Cheese” dip would be an incredible touch!!!

32 the YYLady January 21, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Thank you for a DELICIOUS meal tonight for dinner. I am delighted to tell everyone I know about the experience on my blog, because you truly know Sonoran style. Mexican enchilada casserole never saw it coming! :)

33 Bert February 2, 2011 at 11:24 pm

I made this last week and it was tasty. A great vegan alternative to mexican food! It kept well for lunch for a few days. Thanks Susan!

-Bert

34 Isabelle February 21, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was DELICIOUS!! Also, my husband (who is not always a fan of the vegan dishes I prepare) loved it and wanted seconds and for me to pack it for lunch the next day.
Definitely will make again and again!! Thanks so much for this recipe and for this website- it is much appreciated!
also- the ingredients are not expensive (in response to the comment above); this recipe is a bargain.

35 Cassie March 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

This is a staple in our family! We have been eating it for years. I think it is a very cheap meal to make and we eat the leftovers for at least a week. I’m sure we will enjoy this for years to come!

Thanks so much!

36 NoWhiners March 23, 2011 at 7:27 am

Thanks for this recipe. I’ve been 5 weeks now w/o meat – I’m testing the waters. I’m feeling great I might add. I was easily finding things to eat, but lately I’m really struggling. Its so easy to pick up a sandwich, piece of chicken, etc – but having to always think about how to make something without meat is becoming daunting. Come on, how many bean burritos can one eat? Thanks for this great recipe! I made it last night and loved it. My reluctant ‘waiting for another meat dish to come along’ family enjoyed it as well.
I only had one can of refried beans, but had made pico de gallo just a couple of days earlier. I also had one can of vegetarian chili. I used these items in the layers too. Thanks again for a very tasty, FILLING recipe! Great job!!!

37 Celia March 25, 2011 at 10:25 am

This is so good – my daughter begs me to keep making this. Last time I made an adjustment and put the salsa on after cooking and I cut down the amount of refried beans .

38 Rebekah April 20, 2011 at 11:51 am

I always read your recipes and drool! I bought some corn tortillas and now I kn0w what to do with them.

39 Bekah April 24, 2011 at 1:00 am

I had to comment even though I’m not making the recipe till tomorrow. The ingredients were not expensive at all and easy to find at the local supermarket. I will comment after I make it but I’m so excited this will be my first fat free vegan recipe! I usually just salivate over Susan’s recipes but can get the courage to make them. I will change that tomorrow!

40 Bekah April 24, 2011 at 4:18 pm

it was so good! I can’t wait to try different variations next time!

41 Vicki the Vegan April 25, 2011 at 9:38 pm

I just made this tonight and my family loved it! My non-vegan mother-in-law really liked it, and my husband kept giving me compliments on my cooking, even though he ordinarily doesn’t like casseroles. My three-year-old even asked for seconds! I made enchiladas the other night and actually had some of the leftover filling in the fridge, so I used that instead of the veggies listed in the recipe (they were pretty much all the same ingredients anyway, just with some seasonings added). I’m made an extra to put in the freezer for another night and I have a feeling it will reheat well. This is going to be a new family staple. Thank you!

42 Katie May 11, 2011 at 8:56 am

I made this last night, adding a layer of lentil taco filling http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/tasty-lentil-tacos/Detail.aspx mixed with mushrooms and added some corn with the black beans. It was so delicious. Thank you for the recipe–my omnivorous family didn’t even miss the meat!

43 Christie May 24, 2011 at 8:48 pm

This recipe was fabulous!! My whole (non-vegan, except for me) family loved it! I did add some Daiya cheddar shreds to the top. I didn’t see the corn comment at the bottom in time to add it, but I definitely will next time!!

44 donutty June 2, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Great recipe! My family really enjoyed it. Have you ever tried it in the slow cooker?

45 SusanV June 3, 2011 at 8:05 am

No I haven’t, but that’s a great idea for these hot summer days. I may have to give it a try!

46 katiekay7 June 7, 2011 at 7:06 pm

ABSOLUTELY loved this!! Susan – this would be a GREAT addition to your gluten free list of recipes.
I don’t have spray oil so I went without and it’s come out of pan fine so far (I used a glass lasagna dish). I was thinking about it as it was cooking and was thinking an easy non fat thing to do instead of spray oil (since that does have some fat) is to use a tiny bit of the salsa or enchilada sauce on bottom of pan to make it not stick. (I used to do this with lasangna – tiny bit of spag sauce and then noodles on top and always worked great).
As far as note to self since this is going in recipe box is that the only size can of refried beans is 16 oz… I didn’t notice the size of the can and next time I will need to make sure to buy two cans. Also I cut the onion into pieces that were too big so it was overpowering (even though I love onions)… next time I’ll make sure to make tiny pieces or maybe try scallions. Also I can’t handle jalapeno so I used a very mild other type of pepper that worked great. I mixed spices in with refried beans and this worked great so I didn’t have to sprinkle evenly. I also didn’t cover pan with foil and it cooked great in 30 mins. anyway. I think guacamole would be great side dish. :)

47 Diana June 22, 2011 at 8:44 am

Yummy! Even the meat loving boyfriend liked it!

48 Amanda September 19, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I have made this dish several times and love it so much. One thing I find curious is that I can never get it to cook in less than an hour in the oven. Does anyone else have this problem? I get so excited to eat it after 30 minutes of baking time, but always wind up having to put it back in for another half hour.

49 Mindy November 1, 2011 at 12:24 am

I’m eating this right now! It’s so delicious! Perhaps the key to a non-soggy casserole is corn tortillas instead of flour to respond to someone else’s post. I added in a couple big chilis (anaheim?) from the garden instead of a jalapeno and bell peppers and some pinto beans into the refried since I didn’t have enough refried. I also split the recipe into an 8×8 and a pie plate. One to freeze and one to eat since there are only 2 of us! I love hearty, messy vegan food :) Thank you for the recipe!

50 Nancy November 10, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Just want to say that this is AMAZING! I have made it a few times, it’s great as is, and I also like to add frozen corn to one layer and diced green chilis to the other. Either way, it’s GREAT. I’ve served it to all kinds of eaters, it always gets rave reviews from all, and everyone wants the recipe! YUM!!!

51 Heidi Leanne December 3, 2011 at 1:13 am

Can’t wait to make this! I have an enchilada casserole in my recipe box that I stole from my grandma, but this looks *gasp!* dare I say it? Better. :)

52 Joy December 12, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Just had this for supper…halved the recipe for a smaller pan…it was tasty. Husband and teens said yes you can make this again…success!!

53 Janet January 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I love this recipe, and yes, like you I frequently pull it out when having company that are afraid of vegetables or what those crazy plant-eaters might eat.

54 Lauren February 5, 2012 at 9:32 pm

This made so much food and was so easy to make! Thanks to you, I now have delicious lunch all week :)

55 Manyhats February 6, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe. I had fun trying to cut the tortillas to fit the pan! This was delicious. I think next time I will double the peppers and onions layer (which I wanted to eat out of the pan with a spoon). I added the corn and it did make a great recipe even better! This was a perfect Super Bowl recipe! I spread a layer of fresh guac over the top of each of my servings… yummmm!

56 Susan April 11, 2012 at 6:37 am

I love this recipe! I’ve made it 4-5 times with slight variations, and it is one of our favorites. Thanks!

57 Lisa April 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

I’m new to your blog. I came over on the recommendation of Engine2′s facebook page and we tried your zucchini frittata and it was outstanding! So, I’m exploring some more and I’m going to try this recipe next week. I had a question, though, do you think it would be ok to leave out the black beans? My kids and I love them, but, my husband does not. I’m thinking it would probably be ok because of the refried beans add the protein and I’ll probably add corn, too. Thanks for your input.

58 Susan Voisin April 20, 2012 at 11:05 am

Yes, it will be fine without the black beans. If your husband likes pinto beans, you can use them instead or just add more refried beans or corn. It’s a easy recipe to adapt to any tastes.

59 Lisa April 20, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Thank you, Susan. Looking forward to trying it out, it looks so good.

60 Sünne April 26, 2012 at 1:50 am

This recipe sounds great! Unfortunately, I can’t get (low-fat) corn tortillas where I live. I do have finally been able to track down whole-wheat tortillas this week, though. May I replace them here? If so, how many would you use (not sure about the size of the tortillas you used)? Each of the tortillas I bought is a scant 1 1/2 ounces in weight.

Thanks a lot in advance!

61 Susan Voisin April 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

Just use enough to cover your pan without much overlapping. The corn tortillas are small–about 4 inches across–so you may have to cut yours to fit.

62 Kate Elliott May 4, 2012 at 8:43 pm

This is super good, even better the next day…..cold!!

63 janet @ the taste space July 18, 2012 at 7:18 am

I made this your way with the tortillas as well as with thinly sliced zucchini as the pasta… Both were delicious! Thank you for the inspiration. :)

I posted my version here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/07/18/mexican-zucchini-lasagna/

64 Leslie July 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm

hey there! Even my husband who eats cheese on his cheese couldnt think of a thing that would make it more delicious! Thank you for bringing us such healthy ideas to nurture our bellies!

65 Sally July 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Wow–made this tonight and it is amazing! I added a corn layer before the tomatoes and used the whole jalapeno. Took me a while to find corn tortillas in my little town but I’m glad I persisted. Thanks for another great recipe!!

66 Julie August 17, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I have tried this recipe a couple of times because the picture looked so inviting. I struggled with the refried beans though, they were so thick and I finally picked up the tortilla “noodles” and spread them thickly with the refried beans in desperation. Last night I decided to not use refried beans and instead use whole pinto beans. The servings did not hold together as well, however we all decided this version tasted better this way too (for us anyway). This will be one of our family’s favorites from now on. Thanks for another excellent recipe.

67 Sharon September 16, 2012 at 11:36 am

Forget Julia Childs–I seem to be making my way through every one of YOUR recipes–and I’m much healthier for it! However the problem with that is sometimes we come upon a recipe we like so much we have it over & over & we may never taste everything you have posted. This is one such recipe! It is something we now have a regular basis in our house. Thanks so much!

68 Kelsie September 23, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I make this dish all the time and have yet to leave a comment, for whatever reason. I just love this! And it’s awesome when I have parties and all my non-vegan, college friends (who generally eat junk) come over. There’s plenty of food and they always love it and it’s so easy to add some cheese on top of an individual piece for everyone else and microwave to melt! And it’s so inexpensive! I’m making it as I type because fall term starts tomorrow and I know that I’ll have dinner for a week with this awesome recipe! Life saver! Love it! Nomnomnom.

69 Rheanna October 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

Just made this for lunch! It’s 5 out of 5 stars! Thank you for another amazing dish.

70 donna m. October 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

Hi. I tried the mexican lasagna casserole recipe last night and it was AWESOME!!!! My husband loved it and he normally hates beans.
Very good recipe and guilt free. Will definitely be making this again.
It’s nice to be able to cook vegan and have it be delicious too!
Thanks so much,
Donna M.

71 Erin November 1, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I absolutely love this recipe. It’s enchiladas without all the rolling. I actually make this in the slow cooker. I just looked up other similar slow cooker recipes and adapted it. My whole family loves it. Simple, delicious and family friendly-what more can I ask for? Thanks!

72 annette November 3, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Im so happy that this site is here. I just recently became Vegan since my doctor said I had to. I am a heart patient of 36 that had a 6 way bi-pass. This site has totally helped me with recipes! Thank you !!!

73 EmmetFitzhume November 19, 2012 at 3:01 pm

My wife and I enjoyed this dish. I used some extra jalapeno because I like my mexican spicy. Also used organic fat free corn tortillas I found at whole foods.

I’m doing the McDougall program to cure several ailments. My only problem was that I couldn’t find a lowfat or nonfat enchilada sauce. But even with the sauce it worked out to be acceptable. Can’t wait to try some more of the recipes I’ve seen on this site. Thanks for posting them all!

74 Sally January 5, 2013 at 2:51 pm

In the spirit of Chinese New Year (2013 is Year of the Snake – Uh, no!) – I am declaring 2013 my personal Year of the Bean, and working on some new ways to incorporate beans into my daily eating. This enchilada/Mexican lasagna sounds great and I am off to the store for a few things. Thanks Susan – you have made this transition ever so much easier and fun!

75 Larissa January 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Well we just cooked this and it was LUSH! The children were a bit beaned out on it but ate some. Ketchup helped. But Mummy and Daddy hoovered up thier left overs! Thank you!!

76 Glo January 15, 2013 at 6:33 pm

This was absolutely delicious , added mushrooms to mine… Loved it!

77 Marsha February 25, 2013 at 10:35 am

I made this for our Oscar viewing party last night. It was a big hit! Delicious! I made some alterations: To the sauteing onions and peppers, I added all the spices, 2 Tbsp of sliced jalapenos and 1 cut up zucchini I had on hand. I ‘buttered’ 1 side of the corn tortillas with the fat-free refried beans to make it much easier to spread the beans. For needed crunch, I topped it with crushed tortilla chips.

78 craig March 6, 2013 at 4:46 am

i was very excited about this dish and don’t get me wrong, i love this blog. the preparation took forever which made me even more hungry to finally eat it, only to find out that the black beans needed to be cooked as well as rinsed and drained. the ridiculous amount of hard black beans has made this dish inedible. it would have been nice to be notified that the beans should have been cooked beforehand.

79 Susan Voisin March 6, 2013 at 6:53 am

I’m so sorry about that! You’re the first person who’s pointed out that the recipe should say cooked black beans. I’ll edit it right away.

80 Melissa May 5, 2013 at 7:14 am

I tried this recipe last night for my parents who shun anything non-meat. My dad, in particular, really enjoyed it! I added some zucchini, non-dairy cheese and some sliced green onions on top. Next time I will also add some corn for crunch. But, it was really, really delicious! Plus, I have a ton of leftovers which is the icing on the cake! Thank you – this has just become a “regular’!!

81 Cassie May 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm

LOVE this recipe! This is a staple in our family! I use pico de gallo (pre-made) in place of the chopped up onions, jalapeno, and salsa. This makes a LOT and lasts us a few days with leftovers. Thanks again!

82 Betsy August 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Just discovered your website and made this recipe. It was delicious. My 2 year old loved it too! What a great recipe. Thank you!

83 Lori November 2, 2013 at 10:13 pm

I’ve been making a dish very similar to this for years. I actually used the recipe my mother made when I was growing up – she used hamburger and cheddar cheese in hers. When we transitioned from omni to vegetarian I simply eliminated the meat and cheddar and it’s still a winner! My kids grew up eating it and now that they are grown it’s still a favorite with them and their friends.

84 Nancy December 19, 2013 at 7:49 am

This is delicious! Thank you so much! My 25 year old daughter turned me on to this recipe. My somewhat reluctant plant eating husband raved about this dish! He has taken it to work all week. The ladies in his office have been curious about his meals and some have asked for recipes. I love this dish as well. Not only is it really delicious, but I can get multiple servings from one cooking job. Fabulous casserole dish meals save me every time. I am constantly on the prowl for them. This one is a keeper. It goes into the regular rotation. Thank you so much!

85 Nancy December 22, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Susan, I keep pouring over your website, looking for another dish my reluctant husband will eat. He took this Mexican Lasanga to work every day happily and raved about it. We both happily anticipated each meal that this was served. A big hit and a permanent favorite! You did it again! Thank you!!!!!

86 leftylen January 19, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Excellent, highly recommended.

87 Jen January 23, 2014 at 8:46 pm

made this tonight and it was really great! I added corn and some chopped mushrooms.

88 Nelda King January 25, 2014 at 9:04 am

sounds like a wonderful recipe, my husband is gluten intolerant, and I believe this would work for him

89 Eileen February 24, 2014 at 12:54 pm

This was SUPER!

90 janzy May 3, 2014 at 9:21 am

I have made this a few times for pot-lucks and it is always GONE, unfortunately because I wanted left overs! I am making this today and I have wondered each time why on the spices it says ‘divided’. Usually I am adding part at different times in the recipe but this does not say that, just one of those curious things I have to find out! Thanks Susan for another great recipe!

91 Susan Voisin May 3, 2014 at 9:46 am

Thanks for pointing that out! I think it’s left over from an earlier version of the recipe. Over the years, I simplified it so that things are added all together, and I think that “divided” is a relic from the earliest version.

92 trisha May 26, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I made this with just a couple of revisions. I added a package of vegan chorizo (Torfurky) and the NON Vegans at work LOVED it. I was expecting left overs, but dang, they ate it all! I made the whole thing for $13.70 and that included the most expensive agreement of the chorizo ($3.95) so this is extremely economical and makes about 12 servings! I paired it with a fresh corn salad and grilled pineapple slices and all were hits!

93 Tom May 26, 2014 at 5:30 pm

I’ve never been disappointed by your recipes! I’ve recently decided to fully commit to going 100 percent fat free vegan due to some health issues and needing to lose weight. This recipe sounded up my alley, but I was worried about missing the meat, sour cream, cheese, etc. I’m happy to say, they weren’t missed at all and this was incredibly delicious! The variety of textures and flavors are wonderful, and the chopped, juicy tomatoes really make the this pop. I also thought this was not at all expensive to make. I tend to buy organic veggies and organic bell peppers are high right now, but you can always buy regular and wash them well. I’ve also had great success with your muffin recipes and your regular lasagna.

94 Chelsea June 4, 2014 at 6:43 pm

This was soooooo good!!!!

95 Jill June 21, 2014 at 2:19 am

Well this looks and sounds amazing and I probably won’t wait until Fourth of July to make it! Thanks for everything you do! :)

96 Mary July 9, 2014 at 10:42 pm

Just made this! Thank you for a great recipe. I really enjoyed. I threw it together with what I had available, but next time I will really doctor it up and freeze some to eat later. Great recipe.