In this eggplant version of chicken paprikash, Hungarian paprika gives the sauce its vibrant color and rich flavor while tofu sour cream adds creaminess.
Yes, it’s my weekly eggplant recipe! I know you’re as excited as I am. After all, you can never have too much eggplant.
As part of my agenda to convert everyone into Eggplant Lovers (aka Aubergine Admirers and Brinjal Buddies), I’ve transformed the traditional Hungarian chicken paprikash into a vegan dish worthy of an eggplant. Mild Hungarian paprika gives the sauce its vibrant color and rich, distinctive flavor, while tofu “sour cream” adds creaminess and zing.
- 1 large onion, halved and cut into thin wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons regular paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked Spanish paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds eggplant (about 2 medium) cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 bell peppers, any color, sliced (I used red and yellow)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes (I used Muir Glen Fire Roasted)
- 1/2 cup tofu sour cream (see below)
Tofu Sour Cream:
- 1/2 package (about 6 ounces) lite silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon cashew butter or tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt (optional)
- Blend all the ingredients for the tofu sour cream until completely smooth, and set aside in the refrigerator until needed.
- In a large, non-stick saucepan, saute the onion in a small amount of water until it begins to brown, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, paprika, and red pepper (optional), and stir for one minute. Add the salt, eggplant, peppers, vegetable broth, and tomatoes. Cover and simmer until the eggplant is tender and beginning to fall apart, about 15-20 minutes.
- When the eggplant is done, check the seasonings and add more salt if necessary. Stir in the sour cream, and cook for another minute, until warmed through. Serve over pasta or rice. Serves 4-6.
Preparation time: 40 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Nutrition (per 1/4 of recipe): 149 calories, 22 calories from fat, 2.6g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1114.5mg sodium, 763.9mg potassium, 27.1g carbohydrates, 10.7g fiber, 12.2g sugar, 8.1g protein, 4.6 points. (Note: Includes optional ingredients, including salt and Imagine’s No-Chicken broth. Reduce salt and use salt-free broth to lower sodium.)
Copyright © Susan Voisin 2006. All rights reserved. Please do not repost recipes or photos to other websites.