Ridiculously Easy Lunchbox Enchilada Casserole

by on February 24, 2008

All cooked out, all blogged out: That’s how I’ve been feeling lately, which explains my unprecedented 6 day absence from blogging–even longer since posting one of my own recipes. Though I’ve been spending lots of time reading cookbooks and finding recipes that give me plenty of inspiration, when it comes time to actually go into the kitchen and cook something, I seize up and become completely incapable of deciding what to cook. Then I wind up throwing together my dirty secret soup or an old favorite like arrabbiata or just give up and call the nearest sushi place for takeout. I call it food blogging burnout but it’s probably some kind of low-level depression caused by too many rainy days and too little sunlight.

Now, I’m telling you all this for a very simple reason: I’m hoping you’ll take it easy on me when you see the following recipe, one that’s guaranteed to offend everyone from lunchbox gourmands to raw foodists. If you loathe food out of cans, object to microwave ovens, or fear cooking in plastic, get away, quick, and don’t look back! Because what you’re about to see might shake you to your very core.

This is what I made for my daughter’s lunch on Friday:

Ridiculously Easy Lunchbox Enchilada Casserole

Just about everything in it came out of a can or a jar, and I heated it in plastic in the microwave. All together, it took me just 6 minutes, about the same time it would have taken to make the peanut butter sandwich she begged me not to make. And you know what–she loved it.

While I was at it, I put together two more servings of this ridiculously easy enchilada casserole, one for my husband to take with him to work and one for myself. I figured I needed something stronger than salad to pull me out of my blahs, and a hot lunch just might do the trick. You know, it may have worked: it was a tasty and warm treat on yet another cold, rainy day. And, more importantly, it gave me something to blog about!

Ridiculously Easy Lunchbox Enchilada Casserole

1 Ang September 13, 2009 at 4:32 am

My daughter will devour this! BTW- where did you get the microwaveable thermos/container in the photo?

2 Cena August 5, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I just saw this thermos in the coffee aisle by the mugs…in my regular grocery store (SaveMart in California)

3 priscilla December 30, 2010 at 11:19 am

Could I also heat this in the oven if I’m preparing it in a glass casserole dish?

4 SusanV December 30, 2010 at 11:31 am

Yes, that will work fine.

5 Cena August 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Oh my, this is good. I whipped this up for lunch and put it in the oven for 30 minutes @350. I am fighting my meat eater kids for this.

6 KC August 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm

Yes! This is my kind of recipe. Easy, microwave-able, delicious. I live alone and after a loooong work day I’m hard-pressed to have any desire to cook a meal for one. Recipes like this will keep me away from taco bell. More please! And thank you!

7 Erin August 20, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m noticing that is an UNGODLY amount of salt for one serving. Is it a typo, or do you have any suggestions to reduce that?

8 SusanV August 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm

The sodium’s mostly from the canned beans and salsa, so if you make your own or buy low-sodium versions, you can reduce it greatly.

9 Con Conz August 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Someone gave me a link to this years ago before went fat-free, but i think some other website had stolen this!

10 Pixie February 26, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thanks for all the work you do putting things on the site for us to drool over! (I never realized how time-consuming it could be until I started a blog of my own today!) I hope you gain back some of your energy. Sometimes we just need comfort food to do that. :)

11 S Price February 26, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Now, that looks good!!! Definitely will be trying this!

12 K April 16, 2012 at 9:35 pm

how would you make this a regular baking dish, maybe kind of large, in the oven

13 Susan Voisin April 16, 2012 at 10:24 pm
14 Jeremy January 6, 2013 at 7:45 am

Just a FYI; microwaved water, even pure water, kills plants. http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-dangers-of-microwave-radiation-cannot-be-ignored/24342

15 Susan Voisin January 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

Hi Jeremy, the idea that microwaved water kills plants is a myth. That “experiment” was performed by a student using just two plants. Any number of things could have caused one plant to thrive and the other to fail. True scientific experiments use multiple samples–and the experimenters don’t know which sample is which–so that the data is more reliable. For a discussion of this, as well as a more balanced attempt at this experiment, see http://www.snopes.com/science/microwave/plants.asp

16 Jeremy January 6, 2013 at 7:45 am

The recipe itself sounds wonderful though, thank you.

17 Constance March 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Susan,

If I wanted to do this on a larger scale, say for my 5 year old’s pre-k class of 12 kids, and do it in the oven so as to accomodate the size baking dish I’d need, can you tell me a good temperature and lenght of time to bake it? Thanks!

Love your recipes!

Constance

18 Jill September 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

I’m eating this for lunch. :) I’ve made your enchilada casserole several times in the past but this is a really quick way to have it when I haven’t made the big one. Thanks! :)