Black Bean and Summer Squash Enchiladas

by on May 27, 2010

Black Bean and Summer Squash Enchiladas

My husband had been asking for enchiladas for a couple of weeks, and there was always some reason I couldn’t grant his request.  Either I didn’t have all the ingredients or I had other ingredients with more pressing expiration dates.  D doesn’t often make dinner requests, so I hated having to put off his enchilada feast over and over again, but we were out of corn, which I usually use in black bean enchiladas. Finally, I decided to create an enchilada recipe that would use the expiring produce du jour–the last of a big bag of patty pan squash–as a replacement for corn, and it was a big hit with the whole family.

Patty Pan Squash

Every time I see these saucer-shaped, bright yellow squash at the farmers’ market, I wind up buying more than I really need.  They’re just too cute to turn down.  Then I spend the next week adding squash to everything.  Fortunately, their flavor is so mild that just about any seasoning agrees with them (Cajun, anyone?) and you can use them in any recipe where zucchini or yellow squash are used.  (They make a particularly beautiful raw “pasta.”) Like  zucchini and yellow squash, patty pans are summer squash, which means that their water content is high and their starch content is low; plus they’re a great source of vitamin C and fiber.  So eat up!

Black Bean and Summer Squash Enchiladas

Black Bean and Summer Squash Enchiladas

(printer-friendly version)

These enchiladas are a little hard to get out of the pan completely intact, so I often bake and serve them in individual dishes.

• 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 cup green or red bell pepper, chopped
  • 12 ounces patty pan, zucchini, or yellow summer squash, diced (about 2 medium squash)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Ancho chile powder (or mild chili powder)
  • 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (or to taste)
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, well rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1 can enchilada sauce (or 10 ounces homemade sauce)
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • chopped green onions, for serving

1. Saute the onion in a medium-sized saucepan until it begins to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the bell pepper and squash and cook, stirring, for about two minutes, until squash is just beginning to become tender. Add the cumin, chile powders, black beans, and salt. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the nutritional yeast and lime juice. Check seasoning and adjust to taste.
  2. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray one large rectangular baking dish or 4 individual baking dishes with olive oil. Place a thin layer of enchilada sauce on the bottom of each dish, reserving most of it to go on top. Microwave the tortillas for about 20 seconds to soften them. Place a tortilla in front of you and arrange about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture across the center. Roll up and place seam-side down into the baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and beans. Pour the remaining sauce over the top.
  3. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbling. Sprinkle with sliced green onions to serve.

Preparation time: 15 minute(s)

Cooking time: 25 minute(s)

Number of servings:4

Yield: 8 enchiladas

Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per serving): 269 calories, 27 calories from fat, 3.2g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 753.6mg sodium, 654.5mg potassium, 51.6g carbohydrates, 10.9g fiber, 4.5g sugar, 12.1g protein.

More Patty Pan Squash Recipes

1 Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks May 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

This looks like a seriously healthy, tasty enchilada recipe! Do you ever make homemade enchilada sauce? What does that entail?

2 SusanV May 27, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Here’s a link to an easy enchilada sauce: Honestly, I prefer one that is mostly chile peppers rather than tomato sauce, but I don’t have the recipe written down. (Note to self: Idea for future blog post) :)

3 Jacqueline May 27, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I was craving black bean enchiladas, which are my favourite the other day. I am still in the mood for them, so I am pleased to see your recipe :)

4 Shayla May 27, 2010 at 5:45 pm

We have a recipe that is very similar but I am excited to add squash to it tonight. As we roll up the enchiladas, we throw in some fresh spinach. Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes and thank you for sharing. :)

5 LindsayH May 27, 2010 at 6:37 pm

OH WOW! *drool*

I am trying to drop some pounds and this is a recipe I am absolutely going to make. Have I told you lately that you are brilliant? Because, you are.

6 SusanV May 27, 2010 at 6:44 pm

You are too sweet!!!

7 April May 27, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I have some patty pan squash on my counter and I did not know what to do with them. “Fry them! Fry them!” is what I hear. “No thank you, there has to be another way.”

I will absolutely try them in enchiladas. It’s always good to have new ways to cook squash.

Do you happen to have a great recipe for squash casserole? I seem to be the only one in my family who likes my fat-free, vegan version. Need help there.. :)

8 Ellen (I Am Gluten Free) May 28, 2010 at 8:47 am

Now I have a reason to buy those cute little individual gratin casserole dishes!

9 Tammy @ Defining Wellness May 28, 2010 at 11:00 am

My husband and I LOVE enchiladas, and this recipe looks fabulous! Can’t wait to try it — thanks for the share!

10 shannon abdollmohammadi May 28, 2010 at 11:58 am

I love the pics of your recipe. I am printing it for my recipe file.

11 Maria May 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm

Mmm… yummy. Susan, the filling is similar to the veggie enchilada filling my mother made during the Lenten season. She also added mushrooms. Anyway, I’m very impressed with your recipe. It looks wonderful and I can’t wait to try it.

As fyi, I don’t roll enchiladas, and haven’t for years. Typically, I do enchiladas in layers. Aside from being easier to make, getting the enchiladas out is also easier as all one has to do is slice, or scoop, in a manner similar to lasagna.

12 SusanV May 28, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I’m with you, Maria! Normally I prefer to make enchilada casseroles (my favorite is here: But for some reason my husband wanted the rolled kind, so I was happy to oblige. It really is a lot easier to layer, though.

13 jaclyn@todayslady May 28, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Yummm!!!! I love enchiladas and my fiance has been asking me to make something mexican soon so this could be the recipe!! I love the addition of squash. I’ve put zucchini in my enchiladas before but summer squash would be awesome!

14 diane May 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm

I have used mary McDougall’s enchilada receipe for a long time and it is good and very quick but I also prefer enchilada sauce made with chile peppers Diane from Roseville, Ca

15 Bonnie May 29, 2010 at 3:52 pm

How do you prepare the squash? Do you peel it ? Include the stems? I cannot eat zucchini, so I am clueless about summer squash.

16 SusanV May 29, 2010 at 5:36 pm

You cut off the stem and the blossom (opposite) end. No need to peel it, just cut into cubes.

17 Kate May 29, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I am drooling over this recipe. YUM!

One of my favourite ways to cook mini squash is baked with rum and a little sugar. 😀 Mmmmm.

18 pinoypen May 30, 2010 at 4:36 am

Now, I am hungry! Gonna make this one soon! Thanks for the recipe.

19 sandy May 30, 2010 at 10:55 am

I loved this recipe! it was great! I couldn’t find the squash you had used, so I used yellow squash. I ended up calling my daughter and son-in-law to come and try them. I did double the sauce. Thanks for the recipe!

20 Rebecca May 31, 2010 at 4:26 pm

This recipe looks absolutely fantastic! I think that I will make this tonight, although I might do it as a casserole as you and Maria discussed above. Thanks for yet another excellent recipe!

21 Heather Loves Healthy Vegan Recipes May 31, 2010 at 7:32 pm

This was really fantastic, even with mild chile powder for us sissy northerners.

22 Meridith L. June 1, 2010 at 9:08 am

I made this over the weekend and it was delicious. I used zucchini and the McDougall red sauce and really enjoyed it. We’ll definitely be eating this on a regular basis. Thanks again for this and for all you do!!!!

23 Gayle June 1, 2010 at 7:24 pm

Are caffienated teas allowed on the E2L program? What about herb teas? It’s summertime and I was wondering about allowable iced teas. Thanks!

24 Kim June 2, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Hi Susan!
You were awarded a Sunshine Blog Award at my blog! Thanks for the inspiration!

25 Alli June 2, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I just made these, and they are as fantastic as they look!! These will definitely be made on a regular basis!

26 Tofulicious June 3, 2010 at 10:51 am

I made this last night for dinner and it was perfect! Yum! I’m so looking forward to lunch for the leftovers!

27 Tracy June 7, 2010 at 6:06 am

OMG! This was fantastic! I made this for dinner tonight-

I had to use yellow squash and a few sub’s, but your receipe is great! I even did the homemade sauce. :)

28 elle June 7, 2010 at 6:34 pm

THANK you for giving me a delicious gluten-free vegan option! I added some spicy Spanish rice pilaf-type situation into the enchiladas… and I’m obsessed… and very, very full.

29 Elizabeth Novak June 12, 2010 at 10:33 am

Looks delish! Ditto to gluten free Ellen about the dishes!

I am looking for substitutes for bell peppers. They upset my stomach, so I cannot eat them, but I find it very hard to replace the flavor (and sometimes texture) they impart to a dish. Often, just leaving them out makes for a dish that is lacking a certain something.

30 SusanV June 12, 2010 at 10:46 am

Hi Elizabet–I’ve made this recipe without the bell pepper, and I thought it was just as good. I can see how leaving them out would affect other recipes, though, and I’m not sure what to suggest. Maybe, depending on the recipe, substitute celery, water chestnuts, or carrots for the crunch, but I don’t know how to replace the flavor except to suggest adding some chile powder or other spices.

31 Crissie June 20, 2010 at 7:50 pm

My daughter and I loved this! I made it with zucchini, and served with rice, lettuce, tomatoes, hot sauce, and vegan sour cream. Great dinner! Thanks for a great recipe!

32 Susie July 4, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I made this using up some yellow squash I had grilled a couple nights before and had red kidney instead of black beans, but it was delicious. I have an old favorite traditional (read: lots of oil) enchilada sauce recipe that I’ve used for years, but I used the homemade tomato sauce in the link for this and have to confess, it was a great tasting substitute and quicker to make. Best of all, I got to enjoy a dish that I grew up eating regularly but didn’t have to feel the guilt about all the fat and calories!

33 Kathy July 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm

So easy, and absolutely delicious. Thanks, Susan. I’ve been looking for some tasty ways to use up my corn tortillas.

34 Karen August 2, 2010 at 12:27 am

I made these tonight and they were great. I did add a yam which was great.

35 Tara August 3, 2010 at 4:28 pm

AMAZING!!!! My husband and I LOVE this recipe. How in the world do you come up with all these amazing recipes? Every single one we have tried is to die for.

36 Olga August 18, 2010 at 7:05 am

Ahhh great recipe! Another easy way to cook squash. I suspect it will taste just as good with any other type of squash…

37 Robin September 11, 2010 at 8:45 am

I made these yesterday using yellow squash and regular chili powder totaling the amounts of the two in the recipe. For the enchilada sauce, I substituted fresh onion and garlic for the powders adding a bit more chili powder. I only had 6 corn tortillas (Ezekiel 4:9 brand) making 6 chubby enchiladas. The kitchen smelled wonderful. The dish was not too dry or watery and the flavors were spot on fabulous. Even the hubby didn’t complain about missing meat or cheese! They don’t cook up saucy (read: greasy) like a Tex-mex traditional enchilada delivering lovely textures and taste.

38 Julie September 13, 2010 at 7:52 am

Just like all of your other recipes, these also are amazing. I made these last week for dinner and my husband took the leftovers for lunch the next day. We both loved them and will definitely be making this again. You’re the best!!

39 Nancy January 21, 2011 at 3:53 pm

This was soooo good. I might make it again for dinner tonight!

40 Gayathri March 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

I am making this tonight and I can’t wait. I really hope McDougall Enchilada sauce packs in a good load of flavor. I have started reading can labels for sodium recently and I was *shocked* to see how much the Enchilada sauce can in my pantry carried! :( Only solution is learning to make my own sauce. Wish me luck and thanks for a great lookign recipe, Susan!

41 jennifer May 5, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Looks super yummy and I cannot wait to try this! But what is nutrutional yeast? and why is it needed, I have seen it in other recipes and at the health food store….never sure what is was!?
By the way, I love love love your blog for all my veggie food needs!

42 Karen June 16, 2011 at 11:50 pm

This was a favorite of mine last year. I recently used the filling for a quick taco. Great to take to work.

43 Julie & Marty June 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

This was wonderful! It’s a keeper and we will be making this again.

44 KBeane July 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm

This was an excellent way to use the patty pan squash we got in our CSA basket this week. I added some chopped chard that needed to be used as well. I think maybe it would be worth making my own enchilada sauce next time, but the filling was great!

45 Antioxidants August 6, 2011 at 4:47 pm

A great recipe SusanV, thanks. I have added my little ‘twist’ to it and put some Quinoa in it..delicious! Currently I am addicted to the stuff, as it is one of the most nutritious foods on the earth. Try it, if you haven’t already 😉

46 Fiona August 31, 2011 at 4:04 am

My fiance and I just polished it all off and declared it to be “definitely repeat-worthy”! I was a bit upset to see how much sodium was in my jarred enchilada sauce however! Especially because I checked after I added 1/2 tsp salt to the bean mixture. Oh well. I am feeling lazy this week so all of my dinners are coming from your Ridiculously Easy section, plus this one because it’s easy too, especially when you make it like a casserole and layer it like I did tonight. I forgot to put the lime juice and nooch in the bean mixture so I just topped the whole thing off at the end with the lime juice and nooch and it was just fine. I had a lot of zucchini so I just used that and didn’t bother with the bell pepper. I also didn’t use the chipotle chili powder because it’s not available in Australia. Thanks for another great recipe! Can’t wait to hear about the conference!

47 Fiona September 30, 2011 at 3:47 am

I just had this again but made a few changes. I made it like a lasagna instead of rolling each tortilla and made the whole things a lot bigger. I used sweet potato, red cabbage, and broccoli instead of squash. I also added 3 T of molasses and 1 T of almond butter. It came out fabulously! I really liked the addition of molasses – I highly recommend!

48 karen September 15, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I made this last night. So good. I used the link for fat free enchilada sauce (the canned stuff is so expensive). This sauce was so easy, no need to buy a can of it again. I added a can of hot green chilis to the sauce while it was simmering.
I added spinach. And I sauteed mushrooms on the side for my serving.
I too, have always made enchiladas as a casserole. Never had much luck with rolling them.
We call it “enchiladasagna”

49 Nicole August 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm

I just made this tonight and I loved it, and my omnivore hubby loved it, too! I not only used some yellow summer squash we had but also some fresh corn (cut the kernels off the cob). I bought some vegan (Teese) cheddar to add in but then I decided to make it without it and it was delicious just as is. I bought enchilada sauce from Whole Foods – two packets each 8 oz., and their corn torillas which are tiny – so I just made as many would fit in the 9 x 13 baking dish. I think I could have used even more enchilada sauce to keep the tops of the tortillas from drying out a bit, but other than that it was absolutely delicious!

50 sandy July 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Oh My! I could not find this recipe in my cupboard. I haven’t made it since last summer. Heart is racing. So I googled it, so glad it was still here!
Thank you!
I love this recipe! It is so good, I have served it to guests as well as taken it to a potluck. Always gets eaten. The sauce recipe tastes just like the canned style. It’s cheaper also. Thank you for that recipe also!

51 Esther J April 1, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Yummy, as usual, McDougall sauce and all (although I did add some cumin to that)!

Following the suggestion of others, I also added sweet potato to the veggie mixture, which was a nice balance to the heat of a half of a jalapeno and an eighth of a teaspoon of chipotle chili powder I used.

Nice one (and pretty quick, too).

Thanks and be well. :)

52 Amber July 8, 2014 at 2:21 pm

These are now one of my favorite meals!
I LOVE authentic Mexican food and enchiladas are my favorite…these are SO tasty!!!
I’m newly vegan…about 6 months…so I’m always looking for good recipes to substitute for my favorite dishes.
I used the link and made the homemade enchilada sauce…easy peasy and I also threw a little “faux” cheddar on top before baking.
Baking them covered with foil also helped them to not dry out

53 livinrsd August 22, 2014 at 8:54 pm

This is fantastic! As I am disabled, prep time takes far longer for me than e average bear. This led to cooking beginning later than I had liked so I decided to skip the rolling and baking. First night we had it warm on top of salad with the sauce over. Great! Next night I added fresh pineapple chunks and served it over a baked sweet potato, again with the sauce on top.
The following week when I made this for a second time I topped baked sweet potatoes with it on the first night. On the second night I again added pineapple (forgot when I made it) and decided to serve it over brown rice. As it was late I grabbed a pkg of ready-made rice. As I was serving, I realised rather than plain brown rice I had heated brown pilau rice. We decided to have a mu.ti-cultural feast and combined e dry thing together. The flavour combination was incredibly delicious. Who knew?
When I reheat the overlefts I always add extra zucchini and beans to bulk it out.
Than-q for your hard work in providing us with recipes that have been tried and tested by real vegans living real lives. You are appreciated more than you may know.

54 Arlinda October 27, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Just found this recipe and made using spaghetti squash. So delicious! My omni bf loved them too!! Great recipe. I will definitely make it again and again. :)

55 Katrina May 18, 2015 at 10:54 pm

These were so good, thanks!

56 caren July 14, 2015 at 11:21 pm

All I can say .. unless you’re Chef Rasmey, this is way more then 15 min to prep. I can cook but, i’m in there for at least an hour! With some custom merchandising, this is a fab bunch of enchiladas! Thanks Susan