Healthy Hash Brown Casserole

by on February 7, 2013

Healthy Hash Brown Casserole

I wish I had a cute story behind this not-so-cute dish, but the truth is that I saw a hash brown casserole recipe online and wanted to fat-free veganize it. So I did. I threw out all the butter, the cheese, the sour cream, the cream of chicken-parts soup, as well as the corn flakes on top, and what I had left was a package of hash brown potatoes–and the need for a really good sauce. So I turned to my favorite cheesy sauce, which can magically transform even the most mundane ingredients into instant comfort food.

As you know, I can’t resist the impulse to turn side dishes into one-pot meals, so I chopped up some kale and added a can of chickpeas, which resulted in one of the least attractive casseroles I’ve ever seen (and casseroles aren’t generally known for their beauty). But it tasted rich and comforting, with less than half of the fat of the original (even though my servings are much larger) and none of the cholesterol. And as an added bonus, it’s gluten-free!

I’ve been having fun playing with the Vine video app on my iPhone. Here’s me “shucking” the kale, which is the quickest way to remove the stems. (Click the video to make it stop!)

Kale-Powered Hash Brown Casserole

Enjoy!

Susan

1 Michele February 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

This sounds really tasty and easy, and I think it’s pretty!!!

2 Mary February 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find the picture and the description about this casserole very appealing and appetizing! You are a wizard at taking simple ingredients and putting them together to make something fantastic!

3 jon p February 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm

I don’t buy hash browns so, to substitute home made, would I cook up a batch and weigh or use the pre cooked weight?

4 Susan Voisin February 7, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Just cut them up and weight them. They cook in the casserole.

5 Kathryn February 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm

WHAT?!?! This looks delish. Can’t wait to finish up my potato and kale enchilada casserole so I can make this next.

What would be the flavor difference if I leave out the cashews and tahini?

6 Susan Voisin February 7, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Thanks! i was afraid it had looks that only a mother could love. ;) It’s just a touch richer and creamier with the nuts, but you can safely leave them out.

7 ManriqueGaby February 7, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I love the video!

8 tricia February 7, 2013 at 1:27 pm

OMG! I am totally making this for breakfast this weekend. LOVE IT! And I honestly think it IS kind of pretty. :) Thanks again!

9 tricia February 7, 2013 at 1:28 pm

OH and thanks for that shucking Kale video! I should now be able to do it in no time at all. I never knew you could do it like this – but just FYI….clicking on the pic does not stop it, at least it doesn’t on my computer!

10 Abby February 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm

I think it looks delicious and beautiful, and I’m guessing most of your readers will feel the same way! I don’t eat flour or added starches like potato/cornstarch, so I’m pondering making this with a different cheez sauce recipe that doesn’t call for them.

11 Susan Voisin February 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Well, it’s easy to replace the starch with cooked potato (the recipe doesn’t call for flour). You could try another sauce, but you’d be missing out on a great one! :D

12 jodye @ chocolate and chou fleur February 7, 2013 at 2:40 pm

What a great meal, all in one dish! I love kale with potatoes, and I’m sure that hefty dose of nutritional yeast makes it so savory and cheesy. I’m going to have to give this a try!

13 Abby @ The Frosted Vegan February 7, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Yum!! I love that this has kale as well, count me in!

14 Deborah Saas February 7, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Love this casserole idea!

15 marcia gemler February 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Made this tonight—- soooo good! I used cubes of fresh white and sweet potatoes, added some diced vegan sausage, added chopped red peppers. Definitely a keeper!

16 Kelly February 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Made this for dinner tonight! I added some green peppers but otherwise stuck to the recipe. It was really tasty, and my husband and 2 year old liked it too!

17 Pam February 7, 2013 at 6:46 pm

This does not look bad at all – in fact it looks very yummy to me. I’m definitely going to try this recipe. Wonder if I can halve the quantities to not make so much…Thanks Susan :) Love your little video clip…

18 WaterDragon February 7, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I guess I won’t be the first to say – That looks delicious! It’s not ugly at all, and I’m definitely gonna try it.
I’ve seen Ann Esselstyn shuck kale, and it’s a neat trick. Nonetheless, I’m frequently too lazy for even that and will often buy it by the bag at Trader Joes. How much weight do you think in that case? 6 – 8 oz? Or about how many cups once it’s chopped?

19 Susan Voisin February 7, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I didn’t measure it in cups, but I’d guess the stems weighed about 4 ounces, so 8 should do it.

20 WaterDragon March 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Just came back to report that this was just as delicious as I expected it to be – more even. Thanks!!!

21 Cathy February 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I’ve always wanted to try a nutritional yeast cheese sauce! My question is: can this dish be frozen or does that mess up the consistency of the sauce?

22 Susan Voisin February 7, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Freezing shouldn’t affect the sauce. It will probably freeze fine.

23 CLEvegan February 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Can you shuck dinosaur kale the same way?
I have found that chopped kale keeps better than kale left on the stalk. I rinse it, cut off the stem, chop the leaves, spin them in a salad spinner, and put them in a gallon size baggie with a paper towel for 24 hours to absorb any excess water. After removing the paper towel, the kale stays crisp and fresh for a week.

24 Marty February 8, 2013 at 4:34 am

Where can you find smoked paprika? I haven’t found it at any grocery store! This looks yummy!

25 Susan Voisin February 8, 2013 at 7:22 am

If there’s a TJMaxx or Marshall’s in your area, check there. They sometimes have it for a good price. I’ve been buying it online, at The Spice House, for so long that I’m not sure if my local grocery store carries it now.

26 Katie February 8, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I found smoked paprika at Target.

27 cathy February 8, 2013 at 8:17 am

I order mine on line from Penzy’s. It has the best smoked paprika ever! I love it on everything.

28 Sarah February 8, 2013 at 11:18 am

Actually, that looks gorgeous. Yum. Will be trying this one.

29 Twila Smith February 8, 2013 at 3:05 pm

I enjoyed your description of adapting a recipe and only being left with the potatoes as a new starting point. So true. Love the addition of kale (of course, I love just about anything with kale). I’ve prepared something similar, adding some smoked tempeh. It also lends itself well to substituting chopped cauliflower for some of the potatoes. Now I think I might need to try this with sweet potatoes …

30 Susan Voisin February 8, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Ah, you read my mind about the cauliflower! I wanted to use half cauliflower and half potatoes, but alas, I was out of cauliflower. But I did have kale, so that’s how this combination came about.

31 Erin February 8, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Certainly looks delicious to me!

32 moonwatcher February 8, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I agree with everyone else that this looks lovely and delicious! I really enjoyed the kale shucking video as well! I will have to make this sometime. I liked reading the extra touches people added in, especially the cauliflower. And I, too, loved how when you took all the traditional stuff out you were left wtih the potatoes! Thanks for another great and healthy comfort food choice!

xo

33 Eric February 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Just made this casserole and it was easy and came out great. I love casserole recipes…I can prepare it on the weekend and then have several meals for the following week. This recipe provides a nice foundation for many variations that I am sure to try. Thanks Susan for the recipe!

34 Megan February 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

We’re in the middle of the blizzard and hunkering down with a big batch of this tonight and it is PERFECT comfort food!! Just wanted to say I used frozen chopped kale and it worked really well. My only tip would be add it last to the pan since it won’t wilt. Next time I’m trying sweet potato!

35 Connie Fletcher February 8, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Me too, Megan….Vermont here….LOTS of snow!!! And perfect timing for a comfort food like this potato and yumminess casserole! Thanks, Susan!

36 Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 9, 2013 at 3:03 am

This looks stellar…gonna try a low-carb stove-top cauliflower version of it soon:)

37 Dawn February 9, 2013 at 7:31 am

Yum! Potatoes are Comfort Food 101 for me and this looks like a new and healthy way to enjoy them. I sometimes see these frozen potatoes on sale for great prices. So they will be good to have in the freezer for this recipe. Thanks!

38 Stacy February 9, 2013 at 10:31 am

Susan, Yum! I have been in a casserole mood too. I love how they warm up the home and smell wonderful! I created something really similar last weekend, only I used brown rice, frozen spinach & okra, adzuki beans and an onion-mushroom (coconut) cream sauce. I will try your version this weekend! I am so greatful for your blog!

39 Werner February 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Great dish, rich and satisfying…better than any vegan mac and cheese I have tried. So happy to find a basic, delicious and nutritious go-to dish for potlucks and the grandkids….not to mention chilly Saturday nights :) Thanks so much, your recipes are so real!

40 erin February 9, 2013 at 9:46 pm

If anyone tries freezing this, please comment and let us all know how it goes. Thanks for another wonderful recipe Susan :)

41 Vibeke February 9, 2013 at 10:46 pm

I made this recipe the day you posted it and my family loved it! I will definitely be making it again.

42 Laurel February 10, 2013 at 11:30 am

I enjoy all of your recipes. Just wondering… I have rainbow chard in my frig right now and just bought organic potatoes. Can I substitute kale for the chard? Any advice on using “fresh” potatoes instead?

43 Susan Voisin February 10, 2013 at 11:33 am

Sure! You can use any greens you like and any potatoes, too. Just cut them into 1/2-inch cubes.

44 Brenda February 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Just made this tonight, and WHAT a delicious, filling casserole!!

Just to let everyone know that grated potatoes will work just fine, as well as cubed. I had a bag of “Simply Potatoes” brand Hash Browns. These are the ones in the green bag that are refrigerated, not frozen. I find them where the butter, margarine, cheese, etc are in the grocery store. Oil free, and since they are not frozen, you don’t have to thaw them. Picture:

Anyway, they come in 20 ounce bags, so I just made 1 1/2 times the cheese sauce, upped the kale and bean amounts slightly, and baked in a 9×13 pan.

Thanks Susan, for another fantastic recipe!!

45 Flo brown February 11, 2013 at 9:56 am

Love this recipe even while watching carbs!

46 Louise Placek February 11, 2013 at 11:57 am

So, just wondering, did you leave the miso out of the sauce recipe for a reason? I like the sauce with the miso. Makes it deeper in flavor.

Going to make this today for lunch! Yum!

47 Susan Voisin February 11, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I was just trying to use fewer ingredients to simplify the sauce a little, but by all means, add the miso if you want to. It does add a depth of flavor that salt doesn’t.

48 Molly February 11, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I made this last night and it was incredible! My only complaint is that there were no leftovers; we couldn’t stop eating it. I’m going to add some butternut squash cubes the next time I make it, due to popular demand, which will be soon.

49 Randi February 11, 2013 at 7:48 pm

This is beautiful and delicious! So hearty and cheesy! I would love to try this with broccoli and mushrooms, too. I made it in a 9 x 13 pan and the cooking time was perfect. It went great with some grapefruit and Apple Upside Down Baked Oatmeal Cakes from http://www.bashfulbao.com/2012/12/apple-upside-down-baked-oatmeal-cakes/#comment-2593. Thank you!

50 Ainsley February 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I’ve made some amazingly delicious food from your site, and this has made my top 5 list for SURE. It’s easy, healthy and so so so yummy.

51 Kim February 13, 2013 at 9:16 am

My spouse doesn’t like nutritional yeast, unfortunately. Do you think the sauce with still work if I use real shredded cheddar instead? I’ve tried the Daiya cheddar and he doesn’t like that either. Thanks.

52 Susan Voisin February 13, 2013 at 9:20 am

I haven’t cooked with dairy cheese for 19 years, so I’m not a good person to ask! I would think you could shred it and add it to the sauce as it heats, but you might be better off following a nonvegan recipe.

53 Kate February 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Your recipes are always so great! I’m doing a series on kale salads for my blog this week and would appreciate your input. (And maybe a shout out?)

I’ve followed you for years! Stay well!

bkstrength.wordpress.com

54 Rachael February 13, 2013 at 6:03 pm

We have a winner! This is the first vegan meal I have made in 3 years that my son (now 11) has willingly eaten seconds! I took out the chickpeas and put in vegan sausage since no one in my house likes chickpeas but me
Thanks so much Susan!

55 Robyn Clark February 13, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I definitely want to try this recipe but have been unable to find hash browns without oil, so I’d like to substitute with potatoes. How many potatoes would I need for 16 ounces of hash browns?

56 Susan Voisin February 13, 2013 at 11:18 pm

It really depends on the size and type of potato. Can you weigh them at the store when you buy them?

57 Jen February 19, 2013 at 8:06 am

I used 16 oz of raw potato and it came out fine :-) This made the perfect amount for my Scanpan casserole dish for my toaster oven. I am looking forward to trying variations – mushrooms, cauliflower, artichoke hearts, spinach….the possibilities are endless…the sauce is so delicious! There was mention of miso above…how much miso would replace the salt? I also have some dehydrated shredded potatoes in the pantry…I might try that next time too :-)

58 Robyn Clark February 19, 2013 at 6:00 pm

So I cut 2 medium potatoes and then measured, and it came to about 3 1/4 cups. I made the casserole and I love it, thanks!

59 wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) February 15, 2013 at 10:06 am

Made it. It was delicious! We enjoyed it for days. I happened to have bags of shredded hash brown potatoes just screaming to be used up in my freezer, so I used them. It worked fine.

60 Allison February 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I just wanted to say that I made this for the first time today and it was a hit! My husband said it was the best casserole ever and he does not give that kind of praise often! We are doing ETL and your site is fabulous. Looking forward to trying more recipes.

61 evie February 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Just made this (with my own variation) and it was delicious!

I’ve also tried to make many different vegan cheese sauces, and none of them came close to tasting good. It’s one thing I wasn’t sure I’d ever be able to find a vegan substitute for. But this vegan cheese sauce is amazing. Definitely going to use it in other dishes.

62 Anita Lauro February 17, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I made this yesterday for a vegan potluck and it was a big hit! Several people mentioned it was their favorite dish of the evening and asked me where I got the recipe from. I, of course, directed them here! :-)

63 heidi February 18, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Ditto from our family: our kids rated this 9 3/4 out of 10. (People new to this way of eating take note: this is after 3 years of eating this way. My kids are 8 and 10. It’s really just been this year that we’ve turned a corner and that they eat plant-based food (beyond veggie burgers and veggie (well, okay, fake cheese) pizza). Take heart!!

They LOVED this one and so did I. Only differences: I used white beans (we don’t like chickpeas) and I didn’t thaw the potatoes. It still worked just great! Next time I’d love to try sauteed mushrooms and/or broccoli like another commenter suggested. I might even be brave enough to take it to a muggles-and-wizards potluck. Thanks again!

64 Annie February 19, 2013 at 3:06 pm

I think this looks beautiful and delicious. I can’t wait to make it!

65 moonwatcher February 19, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Hi Susan!

I just want to add my voice to the chorus that is singing the praises of this casserole. I made it last night and it is wonderful. I used red kale, and a leek instead of the onion that I needed to use up. Also chopped a parsnip that I had on hand in with some yukon golds (no Southern style frozen hash browns at this northern co-op :)).
All came out yummy. What comfort food on a Februrary week night. I am looking forward to leftovers!

Thanks,

xoxo

66 vegjeri February 21, 2013 at 3:58 pm

This was so delicious! I used regular paprika in the sauce because I don’t always care for the smoked flavor. I love the suggestions for cauliflower, peppers, soy sausage and will try those some time.

67 Jess February 21, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Made this for dinner tonight and 15 month old loved it! I made it with southern style shredded hash browns because thats what I had but followed all other directions to a T. Delicious!
Thanks!

68 Mary H. February 23, 2013 at 9:28 am

Made this for dinner last night and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

69 jean charette February 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm

This was fantastic!

70 theresa February 25, 2013 at 9:49 am

I made this last night for dinner! We loved it, it is fantastic! I am wondering if that is a sauce that would work for baked mac and cheese? I am going to be making this a lot with different ingredients! Thank You so much for the wonderful recipes!

71 Susan Voisin February 25, 2013 at 10:19 am

I’m so glad you liked it! Yes, the sauce is almost the same as the one for my mac and cheese, and it does work well if you bake it. See the link near the top of the post to find the mac and cheese recipe.

72 Jill February 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm

This looked so good I ran to the store to buy the needed ingredients. Just finished I nice serving. Absolutely delicious. I will serve this for others. It was wonderful. My only comment is the prep time was a lot more than 15 minutes. Note I did sprinkle a little mozarella daiya on top but realize after eating it that t wasn’t necessary. Thanks for this fantastic recipe

73 Sarah Z February 28, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I made this last week and it was absolutely delicious! I used diced red potatoes instead of of frozen potatoes. I also amped up the kale and doubled the amount of chickpeas to make this eat as more of a meal than a side dish. The cheese sauce was perfectly seasoned and was a perfect complement in taste against the other ingredients. Thank you Susan for another fabulous recipe. I’ve made about 30 different recipes of yours and I have yet to be disappointed! You’ve turned me into quite a chef and I look forward to continuing to try more of your recipes.

74 Esther J March 2, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Wow, Susan, this is the creamiest, pseudo-cheesiest dish I’ve had since becoming a low-fat vegan over a year ago! It was delicious and such a welcome comfort on a blustery winter night.

Thanks! :)

75 Sarah March 4, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Delicious! Just made this recipe tonight for dinner and it was a hit with my husband and I. Followed the recipe just as it says and cubed up organic baking potatoes instead of frozen hash brown potatoes and they cooked up perfect in oven. I plan on making this again when we have company over for brunch. Thank you for posting this and other great recipes!

76 Janet March 7, 2013 at 8:14 am

This is a fantastic recipe. I have made it a couple of times and it is definitely company-worthy. Absolutely yummy. I add crushed red pepper and I think a bit of vegan sausage would be really good in it as well. Made it once with the cashews (no tahini) and without and it doesn’t make any difference in the deliciousness. Also, instead of frozen hash browns, I used Simply Potatoes Southwest Style fresh hash browns that you get at the supermarket. Therefore, homemade would work great for those who are wondering. Hubby’s new favorite!

77 May March 8, 2013 at 4:19 am

Loved the mini video, never thought about doing this way.

78 Candy March 9, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Mmmm so delicious. I made it for my mother and I and we absolutely loved it!! :-)

79 Denise March 14, 2013 at 8:18 pm

This was excellent and versatile! Thanks!

80 Ellie March 24, 2013 at 4:10 pm

Great recipe, I just took the foil off and can’t wait for it to finish. The bite I just had was delicious, and the sauce is already so cheese-like (this is my first effort at vegan cheese sauce). Thanks for the recipe!

81 Marie March 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm

This was the first recipe I’ve tried from your blog and I LOVED it!
Are there other recipes that use this cheesy-like sauce?

82 susan March 27, 2013 at 7:30 am

Hmmm…I might try this with sweet potatoes and some other kind of bean since my husband hates chickpeas. (??) Maybe some small white beans like navy? Thanks for posting, and I agree with the others – it’s actually quite pretty.

83 Brenda April 2, 2013 at 8:01 am

I’m going to make this for Sunday brunch! Looks delicious.

84 Allison April 15, 2013 at 12:54 pm

WOW! We ate through this in 24 hours. I was packing my lunch this morning looking for the big glass dish in the fridge but it was missing because my husband ate most of it and put the rest in a tiny bowl. Yes, it was that good. I had expected it to last at least a few days!

I’m not always a big fan of chickpeas, so I used a different white bean and also added a few spoonfuls of miso. A great brunch dish for sure! Or dinner or lunch :). Thanks Susan!

85 Shari April 28, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I just made this and used plain, oil-free frozen shredded potatoes and it worked out beautifully. This is incredibly yummy! Thank you Susan!

86 Jenn May 3, 2013 at 4:45 am

could I use frozen Kale instead of fresh. Were we live currently the only two dark greens that are fresh are bagged spinach and Bok Choy. I’ve been craving fresh kale for about 5 months, but the store did just start carrying frozen kale, collards and mustard greens. Beyond excited about that even though they are frozen. . This recipe looks so good.

87 Susan Voisin May 3, 2013 at 7:35 am

Yes, but try thawing them and then squeezing out the water first.

88 Becca May 9, 2013 at 9:16 am

I live alone so casseroles are my go-to for weekly dinners. I made this one weekend and it was so good I had to make it again the next. Since I’m not a fan of chickpeas I substituted cannellini beans, and I’m pretty sure I doubled the kale because I love the stuff, and it was so delicious. I rarely post comments on blogs but I had to thank you for this recipe!

89 Kbtheology June 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I just made this and I think it tastes really good! Next time I’ll probably leave out the chickpeas and do some cauliflower in with the potatoes. The chickpeas just kinda seem like they don’t belong for some reason. But thank you for the recipe! I was craving some au gratinish casserole and this hit the spot! Omni boyfriend enjoyed it too. :]

90 Stephen July 14, 2013 at 10:27 am

I’ve never heard of a 9 x 11 dish. I guess 9 x 13 would be fine.

91 Corrie July 25, 2013 at 12:09 pm

This looks delicious! Quick question, do you think it would hold up if put together the night prior and baked the following morning? I’m thinking it would be a great recipe for when entertaining people for brunch. I can’t wait to try it!

92 Susan Voisin July 25, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I don’t see any reason why that wouldn’t work. Hope you enjoy!

93 Stephen July 25, 2013 at 4:40 pm

This recipe has a TON of sauce. I’m not sure how you would get it like the picture (I did use shredded potatoes, because my Whole Foods does not carry cubed, but still). I guess I could use more thickener, but I don’t mind it being soupy.

94 Nora August 2, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I just had to tell you, I finally tried this recipe last night, and it was amazing. I used spinach because that’s what I had, chickpeas and put some Sriracha on top. My picky 5 year old daughter ate a bunch, spinach and all! Will definately make this again, maybe for brunch?

95 Lauren Vaught August 20, 2013 at 9:47 am

Susan,
This was a fabulous recipe. Instead of kale, I used chopped chard and baby spinach. It’s a beautiful casserole and really flavorful. Thank you for all your inspiration and delicious recipes!

96 Sherri September 4, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Just finished this for dinner. It was delicious! I used the tahini because I didn’t have any cashews. This recipe will go in my recipe files to be made over and over. Thank you!

97 Kim September 9, 2013 at 6:20 pm

OMG, I made this over the weekend and it’s soooo goooood!!! I am going to try the “mac n’cheese” recipe that you have referenced in the blog post. My co-workers thought it smelled heavenly; she even asked me if it had butter in it! Thank you!

98 Danyell September 14, 2013 at 12:18 am

Wow! I found this recipe on Monday and finally got around to making it tonight. It was absolutely incredible! It was so easy to make (especially with my husband helping) and it was unlike anything else I’ve ever cooked, and we’re kale loving vegans! You have a new fan! I’ll be cooking my way through this entire site! Thank you so much!!!

99 Chessie September 25, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Oh my goodness gracious, this one is a keeper! I just fixed this for a late lunch/early dinner, and it’s spectacular. My only changes were to use collards instead of kale (so I cooked the greens a little longer) and to cut up potatoes by hand, because that’s how I roll.

This goes on the “definitely fix again” list. Thank you so much!

100 Chessie September 25, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Oh, and I used only 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and didn’t miss the rest of it at all.

101 Allison September 26, 2013 at 10:32 am

I tried your recipe and it is wonderful! My husband loved it as well and my two oldest sons ate it without complaining. The sauce is really good. Would it work for other recipes like macaroni and cheese or something that calls for a white/cheese sauce?

102 Susan Voisin October 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

Sure! You may want to check out my macaroni and cheese recipe, which uses a similar sauce: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/10/easy-macaroni-and-cheeze.html

103 M.Miller October 10, 2013 at 9:09 pm

This is sooo cheesie! My kids and hubs even liked it. Thanks for dreaming it up!

104 Alta October 23, 2013 at 6:06 pm

If you don’t have the frozen hash browns and use regular potatoes, do they need to be cooked first (as in leftover baked potatoes)? Thanks!

105 Siam November 1, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Love this recipe. Very tasty. Made it exactly as the recipe said.

106 bbhowell22 November 18, 2013 at 6:18 pm

This recipe is fantastic! I had some baby yellow potatoes so used these instead of the frozen hash browns. Made it again with white potatoes; also wonderful. Hmmmmm…think I’ll make this again tonight! Thanks for a great homey and satisfying recipe.

107 Lisa November 30, 2013 at 10:39 am

This recipe is da bomb, the whole family loves it including my 16 year old permanently sad that we went vegan son. It has evolved a bit as I’ve made it so many times. I put a bag of frozen hash browns into a large mixing bowl (I can get no oil ones) then I chop up kale and or broccoli in the food processor until it’s very fine, add it to the potatoes then pour the cheese sauce over it, stir it up then pop it into the pan to bake. As for the sauce, I up the amount of cashews to half a cup, leave out the turmeric and cornstarch and use canned roasted red peppers which gives it a gorgeous orangey color. And I don’t cook the sauce either, not needed.

108 Pamela Wright December 18, 2013 at 9:02 am

I made this casserole last night and it is CRAZY GOOD!!! The potatoes, chick peas and kale work perfectly together and the sauce is out of sight! I’m a terrible cook, and even I couldn’t mess this one up.

109 April December 23, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Can I prep this the night before and cook it the next morning??? Thank you!

110 Susan Voisin December 24, 2013 at 12:13 am

Yes, it should do fine if made ahead.

111 Tara G. February 14, 2014 at 12:24 pm

This is delicious! I can’t even begin to describe! Total comfort food on this icy day. It is fabulous and my first time making a cheese sauce. Thank you!!!

112 Alison February 16, 2014 at 9:56 am

Loved, loved, loved this! I used a bag of pre-chopped kale (picked out the ribs that remained), cashew milk, tahini since more cashews would have been overkill, and white beans since I didn’t have chickpeas. I also used oil-free shredded potatoes since my store didn’t have the other kind and I didn’t feel like chopping potatoes. This was just awesome! Thank you for sharing the recipe! I am going to add mushrooms to the mix next time I make it…perfect meal! :-)

113 Amanda February 20, 2014 at 3:46 am

This looks really good, but I don’t care for chickpeas. Would I be able to use rice or quinoa instead? If so, would I cook it first then add to casserole to bake or add it uncooked? Thank you. Btw, love your recipes and blog!!

114 Susan Voisin February 20, 2014 at 7:28 am

Thanks, Amanda! Yes, if you substitute any grain for the chickpeas, it should be cooked first. Personally, I would just increase the amount of potatoes rather than add anything else.

115 dawna March 3, 2014 at 1:45 pm

Hi! I’m a long time lurker on your blog and have made several of your recipes that I just love. I just found this one last week (somehow missed it last year I guess!) Anyway made it and loved it and bought all the ingredients to do it again this week, but I have a couple of questions:
1) The lemon – I forgot to buy one! Would it be OK without it or do you think the lemon is necessary for a reason (contrasting with the kale flavor or something?)
2) My husband and I aren’t huge fans of the nutritional yeast flavor generally. Knowing that, I cut the nutritional yeast back in this recipe a bit before I made it, but it was still a bit too nutritional yeasty for our tastes. But we still liked the dish! How much do you think the nutritional yeast could be cut back before it makes the sauce too dull and/or would you add some other spices or flavors to make up for it?

We really enjoyed the casserole and I’m a little nervous to mess with the flavors too much on my own :D

116 Bridget April 22, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I made this for my work department’s healthy eating potluck today and it was a smashing success. People were stunned it didn’t contain any “real” cheese. Thanks so much!

Best,
Bridget

117 Claire April 27, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’ve just made this and am eagerly awaiting it to be cooked! I used raw diced potatoes (not peeled – life’s too short ;) ) and only had 7oz kale, so topped up the green with half a small head of broccoli, roughly chopped smallish. Husband wasn’t keen when he saw it in the pan (he is a committed carnivore but will often like things if I dont tell him what’s in them… lol….), but he just said it smells good as it cooks :) If I like it then next time I will use some white beans not chick peas as he doesn’t like chick peas, and add button mushrooms. I think he would like it as an accompaniment to something meaty. Stepson is another matter…. but I’m working on him lol. Thanks for all the wonderful recipes – I am newly *almost* vegan, and have to be low fat so I was so glad to discover your site. I’m constantly Pinning things but this is the first time I will have made anything :)

118 Claire April 27, 2014 at 12:33 pm

PROPERLY DELICIOUS! Omg yum yum yum. I could eat the whole dish :D I love it…. Thank you!!!! xx

119 Larissa May 23, 2014 at 4:50 pm

I followed this recipe exactly and it turned out so delicious! I’ve never had anything like it. I was shocked by how rich and creamy, yet low fat (and vegan) it was. This has definitely been added to my recipe collection. Thanks Susan!